• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ET won't show up to mnadatory camp

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be his last contract. <shrug>

NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. If you want to get paid, you have to get paid immediately.
They're moving in that direction though. I believe the 3 year deal Cousins signed with Minn is 100% guaranteed. The extension that Kam got a year ago has oodles of guaranteed $ (to the point we cannot cut him without massive cap penalty). I have no issue with ET wanting 1 more big contract, but this isn't how you go about getting it.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno wtf people are talking about with this. Chancellor is EXACTLY why he's holding out now.

Chancellor is done.
It's because Kam wanted a new deal 2 years ago, held out, then had to come back to the team with his tail between his legs when he didn't get that new deal and lost $$. At the same time, Bennett is the guy who got extended when not holding out. Now, Kam did get a deal the next year that ended up being a bad one for the team (a mistake that ET just cannot count on them making again). Another big difference is Kam had 2 years left on his deal, while ET is in the final year of his.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's because Kam wanted a new deal 2 years ago, held out, then had to come back to the team with his tail between his legs when he didn't get that new deal and lost $$. At the same time, Bennett is the guy who got extended when not holding out. Now, Kam did get a deal the next year that ended up being a bad one for the team (a mistake that ET just cannot count on them making again). Another big difference is Kam had 2 years left on his deal, while ET is in the final year of his.

I would be SHOCKED if Kam is not cut next year. He'll be 31 and his cap hit is $13 fucking million. Zero way Seattle keeps that. Regardless I agree, the contract Seattle gave him was fucking stupid.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be SHOCKED if Kam is not cut next year. He'll be 31 and his cap hit is $13 fucking million. Zero way Seattle keeps that. Regardless I agree, the contract Seattle gave him was fucking stupid.
I was talking moreso about not being able to cut him now even though it looks like he probably cannot play. The team took a gamble on his health thru the 2018 season with the deal they gave him not even a year ago, and clearly they crapped out.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but this isn't how you go about getting it.

Well it will get it somewhere. Maybe not in Seattle though.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The argument about whether there's a better WAY of negotiating, is an open question, and not one I'm really making. What I'm suggesting is that for guys LIKE Kam and Earl, that play the way they do, they're not getting another contract beyond the latest one they signed.

Earl has one contract left. He knows this. His body knows this.

So pointing to Kam, only reinforces that. Kam's deal he signed (with his tail between his legs) WAS his last one.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it will get it somewhere. Maybe not in Seattle though.
Could very well be. We thought that's where it would end up as we were nearing the draft, so maybe the end result will be similar but just different timing.

The argument about whether there's a better WAY of negotiating, is an open question, and not one I'm really making. What I'm suggesting is that for guys LIKE Kam and Earl, that play the way they do, they're not getting another contract beyond the latest one they signed.

Earl has one contract left. He knows this. His body knows this.

So pointing to Kam, only reinforces that. Kam's deal he signed (with his tail between his legs) WAS his last one.

I get that the wants 1 more big deal. I really do. But if he's modeling his approach after what Kam did, then he's making a gross miscalculation. Kam had to wait 2 years for his extension after he held out in 2015. ET can't make that play when he has only 1 year left. There's no indication that the team is willing to buckle to a player who is holding out.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that the wants 1 more big deal. I really do. But if he's modeling his approach after what Kam did, then he's making a gross miscalculation. Kam had to wait 2 years for his extension after he held out in 2015. ET can't make that play when he has only 1 year left. There's no indication that the team is willing to buckle to a player who is holding out.

Earls' skillset is what COULD change that calculation though. I think as training camp and pre-season go on, they'll make an analysis as to where they are at as a team. If they're thinking out of the playoffs, then they hold firm and see what they can get for him.

If some of the young D guys step up, the O line improves and Wilson is Wilson, they may decide that Earl could put them from a wild card type team to a team with a CHANCE to do more damage.

That may convince them to pay Earl.

I'm 100% okay with the team waiting to see where we're headed.

The OP, who starts at his conclusion and works backwards is spiking the ball a bit early. Big surprise.

Reactions: JMR

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Seahawks know more than they're letting on. If ET was as good as he thinks he is, wouldn't the Seahawks be more inclined to pay him rather than deal him??? @seattlefan75 may have just answered the question without even trying.

I feel there are a ton of things that go into this. I think to be a GM in the NFL you have to analyze a players career really well. maybe based on his injuries, how a player plays the game, analyzing how a player progresses in age and give a good estimate of how much longer before that player is done being productive. The Seahawks made him very available for a trade and the highest yielded possible return from what I heard was a 3rd round pick from the cowboys. Maybe GMs from other teams feel that he isnt expected to play that much longer. Or maybe they do not want to trade for a 30 year old safety that thinks he deserves to be the highest paid safety in the league which is something no team wants to do? Would you want the patriots to trade a 1st or 2nd pick for thomas and make him the highest paid safety in the league?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you want the patriots to trade a 1st or 2nd pick for thomas and make him the highest paid safety in the league?

I think Malcolm Butler and Nate Solder answered that question....8^)

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am however with you on this. With or without Earl this is likely a .500 team unless things break their way. Most of me wishes he moves on sooner, so the band aid could just be torn and the Hawks can see if their younger guys can fill that spot.
This brings me back to your last post where you feel his missing camp is a non issue. I think it is because it causes animosity within the ranks. Guys out there busting their asses and then "x" player waltzes in and starts. I put a lot of faith in team chemistry and when guys are holding out it doesn't support being a team player. I didn't like Brady missing voluntary work outs. Especially after always preaching how much team chemistry means and how that extra time with new players pays off later in the season. I'd be pissed if he missed mandatory camp minus a family emergency of course.

That's just me.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earl will be back by the Start of the Season.

Don't you worry your little head @NWPATSFAN
Oh I believe he'll likely be in Seattle to start the season. Unless Jerrah losses a couple DBs during camp and comes running to Schneider with a fist full of $ and picks?

I just love watching fans who continue to move the goal posts. Or like to throw out statements like "a poster starts at his conclusion and works backward". No shit. Almost everyone on these boards do that. These are chat boards where we argue/defend our points. Very few just throw shit on the wall to sees what sticks and then start their arguments. lol.

The point of this particular thread was to see how many 12s would move the proverbial posts again. As I mentioned earlier, I put a lot into team chemistry. Let him stay out till after the season starts. It won't worry my little head, but it certainly will have a handful of 12s up in arms.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Players miss minicamp because it's an excuse to essentially miss work without penalty since 99% of the time the team waives the fines and reducing the odds of getting hurt thus potentially hurting your chances at a new deal with your current team or new team.

It's not a big deal ET misses offseason work and it is a big deal at the same time. For ET personally it's not a big deal since he knows the system inside and out but it is a big deal since the team and defense especially has had a lot of key turnover so not being out there being a leader does hurt.

Does it hurt enough to cripple the season? No, these guys are pros but it doesn't help he's not there either.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard about this. Def not the news Seattle wanted to hear, I expect a long season for the Seahawks.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt you would want the baggage that comes with Bell. He's a stud on the field, but a dud in the locker-room. Still a good thought to ponder. I'd be ecstatic to have ET on the PIT defense.
Now you have me excited with that thought.

And yeah Seattle would have to deal with his great <sarcasm> "rapping".

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Seahawks know more than they're letting on. If ET was as good as he thinks he is, wouldn't the Seahawks be more inclined to pay him rather than deal him??? @seattlefan75 may have just answered the question without even trying.

I think Seattle has issue with the length of the contract for an aged S. If ET were 2 or 3 years younger he'd have been offered a fair deal. I'd like Dallas to get him but not behind a long term deal. 2 or 3 years with the 3rd year cuttable.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I'd say the Cowboys care, this could drop thr6Seahawks asking price.
I'd say Dallas can send the Seahawks a 2019 3rd and Terence William's along with his Electric Bike for Thomas.
don't forget to throw in Williams beat up lambo

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Veterans always figure out away to skip OTA's (not like he is learning a playbook or anything)
& when it matters he will be there.
I dont see this as anything. As long as he is in football shape by Week #1 it is probably a positive he skips some training camp.