• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN's Three things to look for in the spring game

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia spring game: Three things to watch

We should be solid on both sides of the ball. Biggest concern is CB and RB as we sit today. I do think Howard will have a wonderful season and if you checked he had a very good first year of running this offense comparable to the history of the DH offense and QB's.

I think out front 6 is going to be very impressive and surprise a lot of people.. A lot of exp and a ton of talent. Look for some big hits from these guys.

I think this could be one of our best teams in the end, imagine Geno Sr year offense with solid defense. I think they will compliment each other very well.

LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB is my early concern in a pass happy conference. Howard is my next concern but willing to admit he has greatly improved since his TAMU bowl game appearance.

MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested in the Oline,LB,DB (save for maybe Askew Henry), Punter, QB, DLine......that's about it, I think we will be ok everywhere else..

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested in the Oline,LB,DB (save for maybe Askew Henry), Punter, QB, DLine......that's about it, I think we will be ok everywhere else..
At least you're interested and not concerned.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the secondary had a rough day...but really Howard has the upper hand..he sees the same friggin defense in practice everyday

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Secondary had a rough spring. They performed poorly in each of the scrimmages. 2nd team safety out of MHS had 2 INT's in the Gold/Blue game. Strong Mohigan tradition.

At least the CB's have some good competition to help prepare them for Big 12 play.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crest threw a wounded duck for one of those picks (looked like it slipped out of his hand) Howard looked about the same to me, he had some good throws and he had some scratch your head misses, he looks best running the offense of the guys I saw though. The defense looked...athletic but didn't see a pass rush (Oline better maybe or Dline rebuild? wait n see) secondary is a mess.

Cody Saunders looked pretty good vs the backup defensive players, threw a nice pass to David Sills for a TD. If we ran the spread option Crest might be the starter but... He is going to play slash. Sills should get used to playing WR, Chuganov didn't play and prob wont once Grier gets eligible.

Gibson could have a big year and the other WR's look solid. RB could get interesting this fall once the JC RB gets here McCoy looked good for a Frosh but he is going to need time to develop, hope we don't need him much this year.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read, Skyler was pretty damn good on Saturday. Gold... did you go to the game?

Most people who went were impressed with his accuracy and the zip on the ball. For the more attuned fan, they commented on his footwork and mechanics and noted the improvement in these areas resulted in the aforementioned.

There were a few passes in the 2nd half observers said Skyler would not have made in a real game, he would have tucked in an ran instead of throwing it high and away. Even the INT he threw was a case of sitting in the pocket much longer than he would have done had he been playing a live game.

Crest's first INT came as a result of getting hit on the arm resulting in the wounded duck INT. But, our boy from MHS was there to take an opportunity to shine!

Half time stats... 15-20... pretty damn good...

Mike Casazza ‏@mikecasazza Apr 23
Extraordinarily OFFICIAL halftime stats! (1 of 2) Howard 15-20 for 237 yards, 3 TDs. Crest 0-2, 2 INT Sills 3-6 for 10 yards.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read, Skyler was pretty damn good on Saturday. Gold... did you go to the game?

Most people who went were impressed with his accuracy and the zip on the ball. For the more attuned fan, they commented on his footwork and mechanics and noted the improvement in these areas resulted in the aforementioned.

There were a few passes in the 2nd half observers said Skyler would not have made in a real game, he would have tucked in an ran instead of throwing it high and away. Even the INT he threw was a case of sitting in the pocket much longer than he would have done had he been playing a live game.

Crest's first INT came as a result of getting hit on the arm resulting in the wounded duck INT. But, our boy from MHS was there to take an opportunity to shine!

Half time stats... 15-20... pretty damn good...

Mike Casazza ‏@mikecasazza Apr 23
Extraordinarily OFFICIAL halftime stats! (1 of 2) Howard 15-20 for 237 yards, 3 TDs. Crest 0-2, 2 INT Sills 3-6 for 10 yards.
yep I was there and he did have some nice throws but he did miss on some easy ones just like always. He missed one 2 point conversion in particular very low when his WR (Gibson if I remember correctly) was wide open, sailed another one over the middle to Shorts. Howard has had his moments but has been inconsistent, I HOPE he does get the problems corrected but I expext more of the same in real game situations when he is forced to make plays and gets some pressure.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say some... you really meant a few. Because Skylar didn't miss but a few passes during the Gold/Blue game.

While I concede a scrimmage is not the same pressure of a real game, I doubt Skylar did not feel pressure to perform last Saturday. He knows what the fans are saying about him... he knows there are many like GoldRusher who doubt he will be effective this year.

Of course he miss threw some passes, there is not a single QB alive who doesn't do the same.

In last year's Spring game, Skyler went 9/22 for 121 yds. His longest reception was to Gibson for 48 yds who caught 4 for the day for 84 yds.

Does it look like there has been a bump in Skyler's numbers in the Spring game from '15 to '16?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, Dana plans to throw the ball more this season than he did last.

This point speaks volumes to me. Dana will adjust his offense to meet the skill set of his players. Last year, his OL was much better at zone blocking and power runs than they were at pass pro. So, WVU ran...

This year, Dana brought Wickline on board. Wickline is working with the TE's and OT's specifically. Having a coach with his skill set working individually with this group is priceless. Cook has done a great job with the OL since his arrival. The introduction of power to Dana's offense has been cited by nearly every football expert as another example of his genius.

This year, WVU will have the best OL any of us have ever seen play for WVU.

The defensive secondary... not so much. But, at least WVU won't have to deal with a Bill Stewart recruited defense any longer. The WVU starters will not be FR or RS Fr this year...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say some... you really meant a few. Because Skylar didn't miss but a few passes during the Gold/Blue game.

While I concede a scrimmage is not the same pressure of a real game, I doubt Skylar did not feel pressure to perform last Saturday. He knows what the fans are saying about him... he knows there are many like GoldRusher who doubt he will be effective this year.

Of course he miss threw some passes, there is not a single QB alive who doesn't do the same.

In last year's Spring game, Skyler went 9/22 for 121 yds. His longest reception was to Gibson for 48 yds who caught 4 for the day for 84 yds.

Does it look like there has been a bump in Skyler's numbers in the Spring game from '15 to '16?

He may feel some pressure from the fans but he didn't feel pressure from our DLine :lol:

Our defense wont be near what it was last year ( not that it was great), his numbers SHOULD have been better this spring.

Hey I hope he proves me wrong, but until it happens he is what he is... inconsistent.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may feel some pressure from the fans but he didn't feel pressure from our DLine :lol:

Our defense wont be near what it was last year ( not that it was great), his numbers SHOULD have been better this spring.

Hey I hope he proves me wrong, but until it happens he is what he is... inconsistent.

I hear you man... 15/20...3 TD's and 237 yds screams inconsistent!

Our DL will be the only decent group of our defense this year. So, if our OL held them boys off... that is the greatest compliment I've ever heard in my entire life.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our DL will be the only decent group of our defense this year. So, if our OL held them boys off... that is the greatest compliment I've ever heard in my entire life.
OLine could be solid, we

Some of those were check downs which could be a good sign in itself but again, plenty of time and had experience over what will prob be a soft defense in the spring game, he SHOULD have been making those throws by now. Can/will he do that vs Oklahoma? TCU? BYU? what should be a decent Mizzu defense?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLine could be solid, we

Some of those were check downs which could be a good sign in itself but again, plenty of time and had experience over what will prob be a soft defense in the spring game, he SHOULD have been making those throws by now. Can/will he do that vs Oklahoma? TCU? BYU? what should be a decent Mizzu defense?

Great question!

As he and his OL had little problem handling one of the top pass rushing teams in the bowl game in January, they probably feel pretty confident in themselves going into '16.

2 sacks in 51 pass attempts. Should be fun seeing our offensive genius carving up opponents again this Fall!