• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN: Boise St never deserved a shot at the national championship.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN was right, BSU's schedule blew dick so they didn't deserve to have a shot, but BSU fixed it. If they play a couple tough teams OOC with their BE slate and go undefeated they should get a shot, as long as the choices aren't an undefeated SEC, ND, and them. Then BSU gets left out :evil:

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. No dis to Boise, but they played tremendously easy teams almost every week.

I'm eager to see how Boise st. moves forward with the Big East and without Moore. The Big East kinda sucks too, but it's much better than their old conference. If they can go undefeated there, with 1 or 2 strong OOC opponents, I would be all for them going.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Boise St start Big East play this year or next?

daglafe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a Boise fan, I agree and disagree with the article.

ESPN is ESPN...they don't like Boise since they no longer have a contract with them. Boise may have deserved a spot based on their team prowess, but their schedule has always been a bit soft. Mostly this is beyond their control. It has been improving as they have made a name for themselves.

I would, however, be hard pressed to call any team unworthy if they went through an entire playoff that was large enough to include the 'haves' and 'have nots'. Boise could have very well been a team like that despite scheduling lacks.

cheers,

dag

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BSU usually has 1-2 big games out of conference, maybe one within. They don't face the grind (w/ it's attrition and fatigue) of playing 8-9 conference games in a tough conference (SEC, big12, big10, pac12). And last year Broncos had one big win against UGA, that you they had weeks to prepare for. That doesn't cut it, imo. (besides, like Spurrier said, it's best to catch UGA early in the season when they have a bunch of players serving suspensions).

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted we don't face the grind but that isn't our fault and it is not within our complete control.

We need an invite into a better conference. The BE is better but it's still pathetic.

No OOC is EVER going to make up for our weak conference and it gets really old when folks slam us for the conference we play in. And then turn around and slam us when we move on and say we aren't going to schedule Idaho. Folks can't seem to make up their minds sometimes.

Yes we need a better conference; when is the invite coming? It's all we are waiting on. Hello, Big 12? Anyone? ANyone?

And in a down year for the big conferences if BSU can go undefeated then they deserve to be in the discussion. Period.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BSU usually has 1-2 big games out of conference, maybe one within. They don't face the grind (w/ it's attrition and fatigue) of playing 8-9 conference games in a tough conference (SEC, big12, big10, pac12). And last year Broncos had one big win against UGA, that you they had weeks to prepare for. That doesn't cut it, imo. (besides, like Spurrier said, it's best to catch UGA early in the season when they have a bunch of players serving suspensions).

UGA had weeks to prepare for BSU as well if I'm not mistaken. Boise St was a better team than UGA last year, and UGA won its division. With UGA's schedule Boise St could have very well played for an SEC title.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted we don't face the grind but that isn't our fault and it is not within our complete control.

We need an invite into a better conference. The BE is better but it's still pathetic.

No OOC is EVER going to make up for our weak conference and it gets really old when folks slam us for the conference we play in. And then turn around and slam us when we move on and say we aren't going to schedule Idaho. Folks can't seem to make up their minds sometimes.

Yes we need a better conference; when is the invite coming? It's all we are waiting on. Hello, Big 12? Anyone? ANyone?

And in a down year for the big conferences if BSU can go undefeated then they deserve to be in the discussion. Period.

It sounds hypocritical for the fans and AD of Boise St call out other programs for not scheduling games against BSU, then refuse to schedule games against Idaho.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't read it and probably won't but here is the conclusion I have came to as I thought about it lately.

For a mid-major to make the National Championship game (must qualify for all of these)

Mid-Major team

* Must be undefeated (no matter who they have faced)
* Must have dominated ALL the mid-major teams they faced (Both on the scoreboard and in the stats)
* Must have faced 1+ AQ conference team during the season.

Other major conference teams

* No more than 1 undefeated
* A 1-loss AQ-conference champ or 1-loss ND be more eligible (unless the mid-major team defeats that team)

I don't think there has been a season where all of these have been met. It should be this way as long as there is the BCS system. I do think they have been eligible for a 4-team tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGA had weeks to prepare for BSU as well if I'm not mistaken. Boise St was a better team than UGA last year, and UGA won its division. With UGA's schedule Boise St could have very well played for an SEC title.

Like I say, UGA had some key guys out. And I assume, as an SEC east fan, you saw some of their games and saw how much stronger they got through the season. What I would question is whether BSU would have the depth to get through a run like UGA had, even if Florida and Tennessee struggle last year.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds hypocritical for the fans and AD of Boise St call out other programs for not scheduling games against BSU, then refuse to schedule games against Idaho.

It's ridiculous to get hammered for weak OOC play and then be told to schedule a program which SHOULD be at the FCS level.

Pick a frikkin side.

BSU doesn't lower anyone's SOS while Idaho does.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and BSU fans absolutely DO NOT WANT TO SUPPORT THE DAMNED ECONOMY UP THERE.

It's like choosing NOT to shop at Walmart.

apples and kiwis man, apples and kiwis.

Most reasonable BSU fans understand that our teeny tiny stadium makes us unattractive as well as the whole no win situation of playing a 'mid major'. Fortunately both are in the process of changing.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the choosing of NCG is a political process, there are political aspects involved.

The weaker SOS of BSU while in the WAC should affect them. Their standard should be way higher than I think they lived up to most of them, but major conference teams were just as impressive and more deserving due to SOS.

I will give BSU credit. They didn't have a 1 and done year like Hawaii or Utah did. I would consider it a dynasty.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I say, UGA had some key guys out. And I assume, as an SEC east fan, you saw some of their games and saw how much stronger they got through the season. What I would question is whether BSU would have the depth to get through a run like UGA had, even if Florida and Tennessee struggle last year.

I saw no such thing.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had some really close games with some pretty bad teams.

UT by 8
Vandy by 5
UF by 4
UK by 9

They did look strong blowing out Auburn and New Mexico St though.

I thought their defense got stronger. On O, Murray is streaky. I'll concede the close games. Vandy blocked a punt at the end of the game and couldn't pick it up, then couldn't score from the 10. Cost Gamecocks a trip to ATL.

I don't think you can compare BSU's depth to what you have on the top 6-7 SEC teams. Helps to grind through the conference schedule.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought their defense got stronger. On O, Murray is streaky. I'll concede the close games. Vandy blocked a punt at the end of the game and couldn't pick it up, then couldn't score from the 10. Cost Gamecocks a trip to ATL.

I don't think you can compare BSU's depth to what you have on the top 6-7 SEC teams. Helps to grind through the conference schedule.

I agree with you on depth.