• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Enrollment Requirements

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came in with a lot of AP credits and it helped me prevent a 5th year. I'm going for my CPA after a graduate and most students in accounting seem to be coming back for a 5th year to get the 150 credit requirement.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess I was a professional student...seven years, two undergrad degrees, and just short of a third. Loved the college experience and the Blacksburg area...never thought I'd ever leave. But, I ran out of money and a complete set of functioning brain cells.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What amazes me is all my nephews and nieces who are using AP credits to shorten their college experience.

My nephew had lots of AP credits when he attended George Mason, so he got his degree in less than three years.

Sadly, by blasting through that way, I get the impression that he missed out on the university experience.
As a parent who will be paying for my child's college, I am totally cool with them cutting a few corners with ap classes. It saves me money which I'm all about. At best, you can trim off a semester in most cases. If they can't get the full college experience in 3 1/2 years, that's there fault ..

Good conversation and thank for your input cobrabit .. My daughter just had a somewhat heated discussion just last night when she informed me that she wanted to take advanced studies english and history instead of ap english and history .. and I'm thinking -- what's the fucking difference other than a little extra work? Her main argument was that she had to test out at a 4 or 5 for it to count towards college .. OK -- so what is the problem with that?? An A in advanced studies looks better than a B in AP?? Bullshit .. History is my worse subject -- ok -- if that's the case, work your ass off and get a 2-for-1, so you don't have to take high school history AND college history if you hate it so much .. and you're saving me $1000 on a class while you're at it...kids man .. anyhow -- I'll be going to the school on Friday as they're holding a seminar for class signups .. They'll be answering some questions :)

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came in with a lot of AP credits and it helped me prevent a 5th year. I'm going for my CPA after a graduate and most students in accounting seem to be coming back for a 5th year to get the 150 credit requirement.

5th years rock.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As a parent who will be paying for my child's college, I am totally cool with them cutting a few corners with ap classes. It saves me money which I'm all about. At best, you can trim off a semester in most cases. If they can't get the full college experience in 3 1/2 years, that's there fault ..

Good conversation and thank for your input cobrabit .. My daughter just had a somewhat heated discussion just last night when she informed me that she wanted to take advanced studies english and history instead of ap english and history .. and I'm thinking -- what's the fucking difference other than a little extra work? Her main argument was that she had to test out at a 4 or 5 for it to count towards college .. OK -- so what is the problem with that?? An A in advanced studies looks better than a B in AP?? Bullshit .. History is my worse subject -- ok -- if that's the case, work your ass off and get a 2-for-1, so you don't have to take high school history AND college history if you hate it so much .. and you're saving me $1000 on a class while you're at it...kids man .. anyhow -- I'll be going to the school on Friday as they're holding a seminar for class signups .. They'll be answering some questions :)

Very low number of students, even good students, score 4 out of 5 on those exams. Need to be natural test-takers & extremely dedicated.

I know plenty who've done it, but if it's not her favorite subject, it can be very difficult. 3 out of 5 is knowing all the information very very well. To score a 4 or better you not only have to know the information, but be able to communicate it with the precision and flow that many high school students do not have without a college Rhetoric course.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 4 in AP Literature or Language tests you out of both freshman English classes at VT. A 3 in AP World History or US History tests you out of those college equivalents as well. I don't know if that has changed since 2008, but you can definitely save a lot of time not having to take these classes.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah -- maybe I'm making too much of it. If I didn't think she could do it, I wouldn't be pushing so hard. She's getting B's in advanced studies history and AS english with so-so .. With a little more effort (not even sweating) in those classes, she'd be pulling A's easily .. It's more for the eye-opening, "this is college" experience than anything else.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got into VT (I guess about 6 years ago) with a 3.3 but nearly a perfect SAT, something like 1500/1600. Also got into UVA (yuck I know), JMUs quantitative finance program, and George Mason. It was an easy decision.

Oh and that was a 3.3 straight up, none of this 10 pt or .5 extra for AP nonsense. So like 70% B's 30% A's.