• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Empire league: Expansion and Contraction

Should we do expansion and contraction??

• Yes to expansion Yes to contraction

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Yes to expansion NO to contraction

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No to expansion NO to contraction

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO to expansion NO to contraction

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dont care

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just say Yes! That's my motto...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is the league I'm in right?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tumblr_inline_niw4cs0xQM1qbg2lu.gif

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the expansion and contraction rules I am thinking about...

Expansion
1. Since every team has 39 total players they can PROTECT 13 players...
2. all expansion teams can take a maximum of 2 players from any other owner
3. if more than one expansion team- the expansion teams will have a mini draft until they get their 39 players(draft order will be random)
4. The expansion team can take as many free agents as they want- No minor league players can be free agents...
5. the expansion teams get randomly thrown into the first round of the draft, but after the first round they go to the top of the draft order.

Contraction Rules*** this only happens if we lose an owner during the offseason(for whatever reason)

1. the team will be treated like all other teams during the off-season( we will set the team up with their best keepers), if there are expansion teams we will protect the best 13 players, etc...

2. all non kept players go back into the draft.
3. contracted teams do not draft
4. All "kept" players from the contracted teams will go directly into free agency where they can get bid on.

*** if an owner quits or leaves for any reason during season, we will search for a new owner. if we find a new owner that new owner is the new owner of that team( no expansion rule). if we can not find a new owner during the season then team is locked... if you face that team, everyone will face the same lineup(they will NOT act as an automatic win)... Abandoned teams DO NOT make the playoffs...

*** all new owners are expansion owners, even if we lose an owner during the off-season...

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never done a dynasty league so I have no idea what a fair type of rule for expansion/contraction would be, but with teams being able to protect 13 players, there is no way an expansion team will end up with any top 100 level talent or any elite prospects. I just don't see how an expansion team would ever be competitive within the first 5-6 years. Too much of a talent gap. If they finished last and got the #1 pick in the draft every year maybe by year 7 they may have something! lol I like the rule of not being able to take more than 2 players per team, but that means if there are 10 existing teams and two expansion teams, then of the expansion teams roster, only 20 players of their 39 come from talent that fills the top 390 players in the league and the rest of their rosters would have to be whatever free agent crumbs are laying around. I know I personally don't mind a challenge, but I wouldn't have any interest in an expansion franchise under these constraints. That's just a little too steep of a challenge for my crutch enabled fantasy baseball playing self! ;)

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me personally would much rather take over a shitty abandoned team than be an expansion team under that format.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never done a dynasty league so I have no idea what a fair type of rule for expansion/contraction would be, but with teams being able to protect 13 players, there is no way an expansion team will end up with any top 100 level talent or any elite prospects. I just don't see how an expansion team would ever be competitive within the first 5-6 years. Too much of a talent gap. If they finished last and got the #1 pick in the draft every year maybe by year 7 they may have something! lol I like the rule of not being able to take more than 2 players per team, but that means if there are 10 existing teams and two expansion teams, then of the expansion teams roster, only 20 players of their 39 come from talent that fills the top 390 players in the league and the rest of their rosters would have to be whatever free agent crumbs are laying around. I know I personally don't mind a challenge, but I wouldn't have any interest in an expansion franchise under these constraints. That's just a little too steep of a challenge for my crutch enabled fantasy baseball playing self! ;)

I can definitely change it to protect 10(that is how my league did it when I was an expansion team- but we went from 10-12)...

but it is not as bad as you think, remember we have 10 minor leaguers too... if you think about it really the expansion team might not be able to start with any elite players, but the expansion team will get 20+ players of no worse than 16 round value... much better balance than the other teams, despite them having a much better top...

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think protecting 10 is better. Maybe increase from 2 players per team to 3? Yeah, the expansion teams will have 20 players between rounds 12-16, but their other 19 players will all be worse than 390th right? Maybe I'm not understanding the 10 minor leaguers? So is only 29 of the 39 spots major league players and then 10 minor league spots that have to be in the minors? Are the minor league spots able to be protected in an owners 10 protected picks?

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well join the club this is my 1st dynasty:suds:

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think protecting 10 is better. Maybe increase from 2 players per team to 3? Yeah, the expansion teams will have 20 players between rounds 12-16, but their other 19 players will all be worse than 390th right? Maybe I'm not understanding the 10 minor leaguers? So is only 29 of the 39 spots major league players and then 10 minor league spots that have to be in the minors? Are the minor league spots able to be protected in an owners 10 protected picks?
13x11=143 protected players(dont count exp team doesnt have any yet):suds: but u r right thats alot

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you have a total of 39 players... 14 starting offense, 9 pitchers, 6 bench and 10 minor leaguers... Of all those 39 players you can protect a certain amount(lets say 10)... minor league players can be protected... Most owners are going to protect at least one minor leaguer... so if you are protecting 10, then most will be protecting 8 or 9 major league players... what that means is the value of player the expansion owners can take will generally be from 8th round value to 12 round value... to have 20+ of those players is pretty well balanced...

But then remember, that afterwards all owners are only keeping 20-25 players(depending on what is decided for the # of keepers)... Of course it is a disadvantage... and it should be, what expansion team ever really has a good chance during the pre season?? But it certainly is not an overwhelming disadvantage...

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you have a total of 39 players... 14 starting offense, 9 pitchers, 6 bench and 10 minor leaguers... Of all those 39 players you can protect a certain amount(lets say 10)... minor league players can be protected... Most owners are going to protect at least one minor leaguer... so if you are protecting 10, then most will be protecting 8 or 9 major league players... what that means is the value of player the expansion owners can take will generally be from 8th round value to 12 round value... to have 20+ of those players is pretty well balanced...

But then remember, that afterwards all owners are only keeping 20-25 players(depending on what is decided for the # of keepers)... Of course it is a disadvantage... and it should be, what expansion team ever really has a good chance during the pre season?? But it certainly is not an overwhelming disadvantage...

Yeah, I think by lowering protected to 10 makes it seem a bit more fair. My 12-16 round figure was for 13 protected players. If an expansion team can have 20 players in the rounds 8-12 range that would be a challenge for sure, but not as insurmountable as my initial doom and gloom of being completely un-competitive for 7 years. It would still take some work, but a skilled player should be able to make something like that at least mildly competitive in a couple years. What are your leagues plans for draft order? Is it standard (non-snake) tied to order of finish? You could have a NBA like lottery for the first round so nobody would be tanking with the guarantee of getting the first pick, but then have subsequent rounds based on actual order of finish so the bad teams have a better shot at trying to rebuild.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think by lowering protected to 10 makes it seem a bit more fair. My 12-16 round figure was for 13 protected players. If an expansion team can have 20 players in the rounds 8-12 range that would be a challenge for sure, but not as insurmountable as my initial doom and gloom of being completely un-competitive for 7 years. It would still take some work, but a skilled player should be able to make something like that at least mildly competitive in a couple years. What are your leagues plans for draft order? Is it standard (non-snake) tied to order of finish? You could have a NBA like lottery for the first round so nobody would be tanking with the guarantee of getting the first pick, but then have subsequent rounds based on actual order of finish so the bad teams have a better shot at trying to rebuild.

Personally I hate lotteries... But definitely a subject for a next discussion... and are you back in, or you just ready to become an expansion team??

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol....probably looking to be an expansion team.... :(

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00