• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elliotte Friedman 31 thoughts

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
interesting. partially explains why the Giants always seem to be in the mix in the WHL

22. Milan Lucic on Team Canada world junior coach Don Hay: "His practices are brutal...At my first [NHL] rookie camp, all of the other players were saying how hard the practices were. They didn't feel so bad to me. That's when I realized how tough [Hay] is." He coached Lucic at WHL Vancouver.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15. Another NHL coach after watching super-pest Steve Ott tangle with Peter Laviolette: "He always says [bleep] to other coaches in the walkway."

Ott, you dickless bitch.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Las Vegas Coyotes a longshot + 30 Thoughts | Hockey | CBC Sports

Okay, let's make this very clear: the NHL's choice is to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix. That's what the league wants.

Two different league governors say that at the December board meeting in Pebble Beach, Calif., they were told the chances are "50-50" the team stays put.

good stuff on Ed Snider, too

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle seems to be on the radar...Would they consider moving the Yotes and have them play out of Key Arena while a new arena is being built?

/Key Arena is not conducive to hockey...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice Hemsky burn by EF:

14. For Edmonton, it should be more important for the young players to be developing properly and learning the right attitudes than worrying about playoff position (Honestly, look at that conference and tell me they are ready). On Monday, Ladislav Smid and Shawn Horcoff led the team to a heckuva win in Chicago after Tom Gilbert went down. The key thing is the young players recognizing that.

15. That said, watching Ales Hemsky bail out of an icing race with 20 seconds left was awful. The Oilers can't allow that to continue, especially guys trying everything to play through pain like Ryan Whitney.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5. One of the reasons Brad Marchand will get suspended is that, with all of the concern about hits to the head, the NHL absolutely does not want "low-bridging" to creep back into the game. It's so dangerous

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

14.** *Sometimes you forget about this, but Buffalo's actual cash payroll is close to $80 million for this season. (That includes Shaone Morrisonn in the AHL and whatever they're contributing to Ales Kotalik overseas.) No wonder Terry Pegula is so frustrated.

whoa

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

14.** *Sometimes you forget about this, but Buffalo's actual cash payroll is close to $80 million for this season. (That includes Shaone Morrisonn in the AHL and whatever they're contributing to Ales Kotalik overseas.) No wonder Terry Pegula is so frustrated.

whoa

:L

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
28. Understand that Calgary fans were frothing for change after the 9-0 loss to Boston, but I always remember a conversation with Cliff Fletcher very early in my career. He said the worst time to make moves is right after an emotional win or loss, because you're not thinking clearly. (The one possible exception: if you've already decided to do something, and that just clinches it.)

Worked out OK for Patty Roy.

But yeah, he makes a good point for most situations.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30. Couple of products being pushed by hockey people: Pittsburgh' strength coach Mike Kadar created a piece of exercise equipment known as CoreStix. Kadar, who played for Mike Babcock at Red Deer College, tortured various Penguins a few years ago with a "Swedish Wheel" given to him by ex-King Mattias Norstrom. Now, I guess he's going to torture the rest of us. Meanwhile, Sean Pronger is launching a brand of clothing called JRNYMAN, which is "Journeyman" without the vowels. His blog about life on 16 teams in 11 years is pretty good.

I guess "A" isn't a vowel anymore. :noidea:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, which one of you is really Elliotte Friedman?

From 30 Thoughts:
25. Think the NHL and NHLPA should put it in writing: if you're 35 or over, you have the option of playing in the All-Star Game. I don't have any problem with Nicklas Lidstrom or Teemu Selanne preferring to rest. And, it opens room for guys like Scott Hartnell and Radim Vrbata, who desire to go. You need players who really want to be there, because they energize the four-day atmosphere for fans/sponsors. David Backes was like this last year, gleaning the glass for appreciative fans sitting near his bench.

My post from last week:
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...sion/60193-asg-game-roster-3.html#post1553340

Great minds apparently.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess "A" isn't a vowel anymore. :noidea:

omg-youre-so-smart.jpg

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm... thats what I said, lol.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Thomas' White House snub, All-Star Game + 30 Thoughts | Hockey | CBC Sports

9. The Sabres had skating instructor Dawn Braid working with their players this week. If she can do for them what she's done for Islanders forward John Tavares, they can't pay her enough. Tavares is a willing pupil, and she's really improved both his crossovers and stride over the past couple of years. When it comes to protecting the puck, he's approaching "Datsyukian" class, especially down low. He gets it and you can't get it off him.

19. There are a few reports the Oilers are trying to get Nashville to offer either blue-liner Ryan Ellis or Jon Blum/a first-rounder for Hemsky. For what it's worth, one source (not Poile) said Monday that the Predators are not interested.

26. I heard a story that in 1987, the Minnesota North Stars really liked one player's game, but didn't like their interview with him. So, they took Dave Archibald -- who made a much better impression -- instead. The player they passed up? Joe Sakic. Sakic was as quiet as they came, which, obviously, wasn't a negative in his case.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Crosby's recovery plight + 30 Thoughts | Hockey | CBC Sports

7. Years ago, Ottawa was in Vancouver and a few of the players decided to go on a bike ride. They were being pretty competitive and didn't realize they'd lost someone -- Anton Volchenkov. This was early in his career, when Volchenkov spoke almost zero English and Petr Schastlivy was the only guy he could talk to. Volchenkov found a park bench on the route they took and waited until the others doubled back to find him. It took about two hours.

9. Asked Chara if he could hit 108 miles per hour (or even Al Iafrate's previous record 105) with a wooden stick. He said he didn't know. Maybe, at next year's event, they could find a way to let him try it. Would be interesting to see.