• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eliminating the anti-tampering rules and other ways to improve the system

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I was listening to 538's basketball podcast yesterday and they were talking about the Warrior's current run and whether it was "fair" for KD to go to a 73 win team. It's a pretty good episode and I recommend it to everyone that listens to hoops podcasts.

Anyway, they talked a lot about how teams always game the system but today players game the system as well.

And one of the ways they do so is through this ridiculous anti-tampering period in which teams are not allowed to talk to players on player options but players from other teams can.

Given that it would be basically impossible to stop players from talking, perhaps the anti-tampering rules should just be eliminated?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I was listening to 538's basketball podcast yesterday and they were talking about the Warrior's current run and whether it was "fair" for KD to go to a 73 win team. It's a pretty good episode and I recommend it to everyone that listens to hoops podcasts.

Anyway, they talked a lot about how teams always game the system but today players game the system as well.

And one of the ways they do so is through this ridiculous anti-tampering period in which teams are not allowed to talk to players on player options but players from other teams can.

Given that it would be basically impossible to stop players from talking, perhaps the anti-tampering rules should just be eliminated?

That's much the same approach as simply getting rid of the max contracts. Let the players get paid what the market dictates, but keep the salary cap. The odds of Durant passing up may more money to go to GS may have altered his decision. He gave up some, but there could've been much more on the table if not for the max contract structure.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's much the same approach as simply getting rid of the max contracts. Let the players get paid what the market dictates, but keep the salary cap. The odds of Durant passing up may more money to go to GS may have altered his decision. He gave up some, but there could've been much more on the table if not for the max contract structure.

Yeah I think getting rid of max contracts would be a good idea. But I doubt the league would ever be cool with it.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really not that hard.

1) get rid of the ridiculous cap holds

2) go back to the old rules about Sign and trades.

3) No apron vs. non-apron MLEs. Just one just under 9m MLE for everyone.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm in favor of this. - Magic Johnson

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In seriousness, the NBA's cap is a joke. There are too many loopholes in it. Either have a hard cap like the NFL, or just get rid of it and let the players get what they can get.

As flyerhawk said though, I don't see the league ever being cool with it. The smaller market teams will pitch a fit too.

As for tampering...I wouldn't get rid of it. If for no other reason than it's a bad look for teams to be recruiting other teams players during the season.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abolish the draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In seriousness, the NBA's cap is a joke. There are too many loopholes in it. Either have a hard cap like the NFL, or just get rid of it and let the players get what they can get.

As flyerhawk said though, I don't see the league ever being cool with it. The smaller market teams will pitch a fit too.

As for tampering...I wouldn't get rid of it. If for no other reason than it's a bad look for teams to be recruiting other teams players during the season.

I should have qualified it so that it was clear that we were only talking about during the offseason when a player is a FA or potential FA.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have qualified it so that it was clear that we were only talking about during the offseason when a player is a FA or potential FA.

Oh yeah, in that case, I agree. They should get rid of it.

The fact is, we know that tampering by teams already takes place. By the time FA officially opens, the vast majority of teams have already been in contact with potential FA's through back channels anyway.

This was shown a few years ago when Mitch Kupchak was criticized because he followed the rule exactly and wouldn't contact players until the official opening of FA. He essentially had the Lakers playing from behind every FA period.

At least if they get rid of that rule it brings all of that out into the open.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abolish the draft.

For the life of me i can't understand why anybody would think this is a good idea.

If you abolish the draft, you might as well contract the smaller market teams.

Getting young talent on contracts where teams can control them for up to 9 years is the thing allowing bad teams from non-destination markets a chance to eventually get back in the game.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You want to do away with super teams for good?

Eliminate max contracts.

KD ain't passing up $60 million to sign for $30 in GS.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the life of me i can't understand why anybody would think this is a good idea.

If you abolish the draft, you might as well contract the smaller market teams.

Getting young talent on contracts where teams can control them for up to 9 years is the thing allowing bad teams from non-destination markets a chance to eventually get back in the game.

You mean besides the fact that is downright anti-American?

You still have the cap.

But I’d also make all maxes the same. No home team advantage.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You always come up withe most absolutely bizarre arguments.

Player drafts are anti-American? WTF?

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Magic Johnson Approves this Message.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You still have the cap.

But I’d also make all maxes the same. No home team advantage.

It isn't anti-American at all.

The league exists as a partnership between owners. If the crappy teams start to fail, it is bad for the league as a whole. The draft gives bad teams a way to infuse young talent and energize the fan base. There is a reason why every major sport in America drafts by reverse order of standings (or close to it). It makes sense.

If DeAndre Ayton were able to just go sign with the Warriors, that would be boring as hell.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get rid of the lottery

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't anti-American at all.

The league exists as a partnership between owners. If the crappy teams start to fail, it is bad for the league as a whole. The draft gives bad teams a way to infuse young talent and energize the fan base. There is a reason why every major sport in America drafts by reverse order of standings (or close to it). It makes sense.

If DeAndre Ayton were able to just go sign with the Warriors, that would be boring as hell.

There.

Is.

Still.

The.

Cap.

Letting players pick their employer based on location and talent base and available compensation is pretty normal.

The draft has never been about competitive balance. That's the BS the owners feed the ignorant masses. It's always, ALWAYS been about saving money.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There.

Is.

Still.

The.

Cap.

Letting players pick their employer based on location and talent base and available compensation is pretty normal.

The draft has never been about competitive balance. That's the BS the owners feed the ignorant masses. It's always, ALWAYS been about saving money.

Then you would have to change the rules completely because a rookie max is less than the MLE.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There.

Is.

Still.

The.

Cap.

Complete BS.

How are the Kings going to ever be competitive without the draft?