• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Electric Smoker

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same for me, my smoker is really small and I use chunks/small logs. Small hot fires seems to be the best way to do it.

I won't upgrade to a bigger one until I need too. Which would be when I settle down back in the southeast when I'm near family. If I upgraded to a bigger one now, it would just take more wood to cook the same amount of food. It would be nicer to have a bigger one for more stable temps, I have to constantly tend to mine - but it's worth it.

Yeah same as me....I'm limited up here for about 3 to 4 months of use....My body is getting slower out in the cold so I wont use mine during the winter time, ( though I did sneak out on Saturday and did some burgers on the charcoal, frinkin miss the smell) And usually when I do smoke during the spring and summer the wifey knows damn well I'm out by my smoker all day working my temp and of course drinking beer......

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah same as me....I'm limited up here for about 3 to 4 months of use....My body is getting slower out in the cold so I wont use mine during the winter time, ( though I did sneak out on Saturday and did some burgers on the charcoal, frinkin miss the smell) And usually when I do smoke during the spring and summer the wifey knows damn well I'm out by my smoker all day working my temp and of course drinking beer......

That's the nice thing about living in Arizona. Mid 60's today. I still get out even with it's 115 and grill/smoke though. Actually helps keep the temperature inside down to not use the oven/stove, so I do it almost every day.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the nice thing about living in Arizona. Mid 60's today. I still get out even with it's 115 and grill/smoke though. Actually helps keep the temperature inside down to not use the oven/stove, so I do it almost every day.

Yeah number one bitch from my father in law since moving up here...Of course he shouldn't be allowed to BBQ :L shit so charred I'm the only one to eat it not to break his heart!

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saving up for this

Santa Maria style main chamber I can grill over wood, I can use charcoal, and has an offset fire box

a092e319c737c8bb04e842007d510af5--grills-grandkids.jpg

Too bad you can't even buy tri-tip for that Santa Maria style grill.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saving up for this

Santa Maria style main chamber I can grill over wood, I can use charcoal, and has an offset fire box

a092e319c737c8bb04e842007d510af5--grills-grandkids.jpg

or this one, but no santa maria option

MGrills_M1_front_1024x1024.jpg

We had one like the second one shown, same manufacturer but it had 2 adjustable height charcoal trays. It was an awesome grill. We burned it up in about five years ... during summer and football season, I cooked on it probably five times a week.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I've noticed in reading all the posts. There seems to be a little difference in terminological.
To me
Charcoal is grilling.
Wood is smoking.
I've used charcoal to grill and it doesn't seem like you could use it in a smoker. I'm not saying I know more than everyone else. Just my experience.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I've noticed in reading all the posts. There seems to be a little difference in terminological.
To me
Charcoal is grilling.
Wood is smoking.
I've used charcoal to grill and it doesn't seem like you could use it in a smoker. I'm not saying I know more than everyone else. Just my experience.

IMHO:
Grilling- higher direct heat. Little smoke generated unless grease drips on the coals.
Smoking- lower temps and indirect heat with more smoke generated for flavor.
BBQ'ing- Event involving either of the two or a combination of them. Can even include Dutch oven cooking if
enough beer is consumed.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO:
Grilling- higher direct heat. Little smoke generated unless grease drips on the coals.
Smoking- lower temps and indirect heat with more smoke generated for flavor.
BBQ'ing- Event involving either of the two or a combination of them. Can even include Dutch oven cooking if
enough beer is consumed.

I left that term out. My mistake. To me has always been wood smoking.
All of the above require beer drinking. And in some cases doing something stupid. Either by the cook or a guest.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I left that term out. My mistake. To me has always been wood smoking.
All of the above require beer drinking. And in some cases doing something stupid. Either by the cook or a guest.

BBQ could be the pork, I guess beef if you are not into American tradition:laugh3:, or the event itself. I hate to go to a BBQ and be served grilled food unless the beer is free. Different rules apply for free beer.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BBQ could be the pork, I guess beef if you are not into American tradition:laugh3:, or the event itself. I hate to go to a BBQ and be served grilled food unless the beer is free. Different rules apply for free beer.

to me brisket is BBQ as much as pork. Ribs on both. Also bologna. Those are the big ones but really anything that goes into that smoker to me is BBQ.

I can say that I've never turned down a free beer. True story.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me brisket is BBQ as much as pork. Ribs on both. Also bologna. Those are the big ones but really anything that goes into that smoker to me is BBQ.

I can say that I've never turned down a free beer. True story.

I like beef as well, just taking a shot at the Texans. Now I love BBQ bologna. I paint it with spicy brown mustard and rub light brown sugar on it. Smoke the roll for a few hours, cut it into thick slabs and then grill it until it has a slight burned crust. Damn my mouth is watering thinking about it.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone use a rib rack to stand your ribs upright so you squeeze more in there.
I've had good luck with it.

6371_fb_106695604520_10211991548084972.jpg

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me
Charcoal is grilling.
Wood is smoking.

there are charcoal smokers, wood grills, etc

it's about temp control

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Potato salad is what makes a BBQ

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potato salad is what makes a BBQ

I somewhat agree, the tater salad along with coleslaw and beans are the icing on the cake. But if the meat ain't right, I am not going just for the tater salad.