• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ECF: Boston Celtics vs Cleveland Cavs

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun series ahead. Boston's path seems tougher but you never know. Lebron wont be stopped. But make Love's life tough and put the pressure on the old legs of Korver and Jr.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones: Kyrie had it backward in regards to LeBron

Kyrie Irving had it backward, and no, it has nothing to do with inane flat-earth theories.

Having asked for and granted his wish to be traded, dwarfed by the monolithic shadow of LeBron James and wanting to be The Man on his own team, Irving was sent to Boston on Aug. 22.

Despite being tasked with taking and making the biggest shot in franchise history, a 3-pointer in the face of Steph Curry in Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals, somehow Irving believed, or was convinced by those around him, that he was being held back by James, even though he hoisted more shots per game than James in his last season with the Cavs.

Having watched James in the playoffs this spring, it’s clear now someone was indeed being held back when Irving and James were teammates from 2015 through 2017.

And that someone wasn’t Irving… it was James.

Irving was holding him, this version of LeBron, back.

What a reach.

So James left Miami four years ago because he needed to be able to win while doing less, but now he needs to do more?

He should kiss the ground that he had Kyrie, because without him hitting the series winner in Game 7 he would soon be on his way to 0-11 seasons without winning a title wearing a Cavs jersey.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as this series, same as last.
If Celtics lose game 1, its over.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the Celtics are similar to the Pacers, just better coached, with better players... but with no oladipo.

Should be a good series.
It will be interestisng.

Boston has some solid perimeter defenders like Indiana--- Smart, Tatum, Brown....

The Celtics bigs dont match up very well with the Cavs bigs though.

Baynes is a terrible matchup against Love....id expect the Celtics to try Morris on Love. Al Horford cant cover Love. (not too mention TT is Al Horford kryptonite. lol....wonder how much TT plays).

Tatum, Smart, and Brown are not going to let Korver, JR get whatever they want from 3 like last series.

Who guards LeBron? Brown? Tatum?

Cavs will have some problems dealing with the Celts athleticism.......Korver, Smith dont move quite like they used too....

Did you guys realize Korver is like top 5 all time in 3s and JR will soon be top 10 all time in 3s? kinda crazy.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think teams underestimate Bostons bigs. It seems to be a theme IMO. Can see it all ready

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun series ahead. Boston's path seems tougher but you never know. Lebron wont be stopped. But make Love's life tough and put the pressure on the old legs of Korver and Jr.
Tatum and Brown can really make life tough on Korver and Jr. - they def. have the athleticism and youth to do so.

Boston is going to have to do well from the 3 pt line if they are going to have a chance though too.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I largely agree with your analysis... but ^this^ isn't true.
well they have been matched up in the playoffs quite a few times and Horford has gotten his ass scorched- but maybe the third time around it will be different.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think teams underestimate Bostons bigs. It seems to be a theme IMO. Can see it all ready
its just matchups if you ask me

Theiss doesnt have a prayer of guarding Love on the perimeter or over and under a bunch of screens.

Horford cant do that either- hes not quick enough to guard both inside and outside- and go around a bunch of screens that Korver and Love are doing.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always pull for the Lebrons, but I just think this Stevens is on his way to becoming an All Timer, and the Celtics will have a formula that pulls this series out

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theiss doesnt have a prayer of guarding Love on the perimeter or over and under a bunch of screens.

I agree considering he is on the DL. I sure hope Cavs coaching has the same depth of knowledge as your suggesting. Might want to google Celts roster

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree considering he is on the DL. I sure hope Cavs coaching has the same depth of knowledge as your suggesting. Might want to google Celts roster
Baynes rather...not Theiss my bad.

Baynes is a truck....he makes Valuciunas look like a speed demon.

i mixed up my 7 foot stiffs...sue me

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its just matchups if you ask me

Horford cant do that either- hes not quick enough to guard both inside and outside- and go around a bunch of screens that Korver and Love are doing.
Baynes rather...not Theiss my bad.

Baynes is a truck....he makes Valuciunas look like a speed demon.
I'd expect the C's to switch off screens and try to take away easy 3 pt looks...

... that will open up opportunities on the inside, of course... but the trade off worked overall vs a similarly structured team in Philly.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones: Kyrie had it backward in regards to LeBron

Kyrie Irving had it backward, and no, it has nothing to do with inane flat-earth theories.

Having asked for and granted his wish to be traded, dwarfed by the monolithic shadow of LeBron James and wanting to be The Man on his own team, Irving was sent to Boston on Aug. 22.

Despite being tasked with taking and making the biggest shot in franchise history, a 3-pointer in the face of Steph Curry in Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals, somehow Irving believed, or was convinced by those around him, that he was being held back by James, even though he hoisted more shots per game than James in his last season with the Cavs.

Having watched James in the playoffs this spring, it’s clear now someone was indeed being held back when Irving and James were teammates from 2015 through 2017.

And that someone wasn’t Irving… it was James.

Irving was holding him, this version of LeBron, back.

And Kyrie thought Lebron was holding him back. Lebron trusted him and slowly was giving him the keys. It’s sad honestly when all you do is win and compete at the highest level and it isn’t enough bc your teammate (the best player in the world) is getting all the glory. Their is a reason, the most clutch player we may have ever seen in Lebron, was giving Kyrie opportunities to take GW shots and takeover at times. He was going to be Batman one day. A blessing in disguise bc Kyrie cant stay on the court and I think the Celtics need to go ahead and try him asap when they can still get young players/high draft picks for him. He might give them a season, maybe two, but how healthy will he be? He won’t last much longer imo

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a reach.

So James left Miami four years ago because he needed to be able to win while doing less, but now he needs to do more?

He should kiss the ground that he had Kyrie, because without him hitting the series winner in Game 7 he would soon be on his way to 0-11 seasons without winning a title wearing a Cavs jersey.

He wouldn’t be kissing the ground now, with him on the bench and he wasn’t in 2015 when he would most certainly have another title if he was healthy or possibly Love. Kyrie is done. They might have accidently traded him at the perfect time lol

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Kyrie thought Lebron was holding him back. Lebron trusted him and slowly was giving him the keys. It’s sad honestly when all you do is win and compete at the highest level and it isn’t enough bc your teammate (the best player in the world) is getting all the glory. Their is a reason, the most clutch player we may have ever seen in Lebron, was giving Kyrie opportunities to take GW shots and takeover at times. He was going to be Batman one day. A blessing in disguise bc Kyrie cant stay on the court and I think the Celtics need to go ahead and try him asap when they can still get young players/high draft picks for him. He might give them a season, maybe two, but how healthy will he be? He won’t last much longer imo
So, Kyrie has missed a substantial part, or all of the playoffs 2 of the last 4 years

over the next 4 years of his career- if you were to guess how many times he would be healthy for the playoffs how many times would you guess? 3 at most?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd expect the C's to switch off screens and try to take away easy 3 pt looks...

... that will open up opportunities on the inside, of course... but the trade off worked overall vs a similarly structured team in Philly.
so if Love and Korver, or hill and love are in the pick and roll with a guard/wing and a center- you say just straight up switch it and leave the guard/wing on Love and the big man on korver or hill or jr on the outside?

dunno about that bro.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so if Love and Korver, or hill and love are in the pick and roll with a guard/wing and a center- you say just straight up switch it and leave the guard/wing on Love and the big man on korver or hill or jr on the outside?

dunno about that bro.
The C's are one of the most interchangeable, "positionless" teams in the league... not perfectly so, but pretty damn interchangeable...

It's probably the biggest reason they are the top defense in the NBA, even though they lack a true rim protector.

I can't tell you exactly how Stevens and co. are gonna mastermind it... but they've been switching all season and making it work for the most part.