• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Earl Thomas

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing too shocking here. Of course he wants to be paid well, and if he doesn't think Seattle wants to pay him - then there's no reason to stay in Seattle.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part about not playing unless signed is disingenuous on Thomas part, he's signed for another year so that's statement is BS on his part. What he's saying is pay up now or I'm not honoring the last year of my contract. IDK how the Seahawks front office responds to this. If they think they are contenders then a extension makes sense, but lots of holes, few draft picks and a tight cap.....might make sense to see what Thomas could bring in a trade. Not to say a trade will or should happen, but worth exploring at the very least.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part about not playing unless signed is disingenuous on Thomas part, he's signed for another year so that's statement is BS on his part. What he's saying is pay up now or I'm not honoring the last year of my contract. IDK how the Seahawks front office responds to this. If they think they are contenders then a extension makes sense, but lots of holes, few draft picks and a tight cap.....might make sense to see what Thomas could bring in a trade. Not to say a trade will or should happen, but worth exploring at the very least.

True ... Dallas would be smart to at least sniff the waters.... Thomas clearly wants to play for Dallas since it's his hometown, and he might give that defense a seriously lift... It would be nice if we could snag a draft pick or 2 for him... I would HATE to see him leave, he's such a dynamic player, BUT if we can get value, we gotta make the move...

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can hold out and not get paid, eventually realize, he is going to lose a lot of money. He makes 13 million if he plays. After 2018, the Seahawks can place the tag on them if they wish. The Seahawks have really stayed firm when it comes to hold outs, Earl loses on this one

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can hold out and not get paid, eventually realize, he is going to lose a lot of money. He makes 13 million if he plays. After 2018, the Seahawks can place the tag on them if they wish. The Seahawks have really stayed firm when it comes to hold outs, Earl loses on this one

Actually it's like 10 mil, which is actually a deal for the Seahawks.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between the beef with Wagner (Easily,nicest guy in the league) , the thing with Dallas after a great win and now this? The guy was staring at being in ring of honor, now....i dont know. STFU and play football, everything will work out.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lord, what have you done for us lately Earl?

Too funny.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical Seahawks offseason. Not worried about it since this seems to be the norm the past couple of years. It'll blow over.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it's like 10 mil, which is actually a deal for the Seahawks.
Well, the cap hit is $10.4M, but he will actually get paid $8.5M because he received a $9.5M bonus when he signed his current deal a few years ago. That $9.5M was split up evenly for cap purposes from 2014-2018.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, this goes in the category of "Earl says goofy stuff" and not much should be taken from it. ET says money talks? Well, to him I would say talk is pretty cheap. We'll see how convicted he is, or if he was just being Earl.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many elite years does he have left? 1 or 2? maybe 3 max? does he play at an elite level into his mid 30s?

trading him is a gamble at this point, but if we can fool the cowboys into giving up a 1st and a 3rd or something, even if its a future 1st, i would do it in a heart beat.

I think the goal should be to get enough picks that we dont HAVE to trade out of 18 in case a theres a cant miss player that drops to us.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many elite years does he have left? 1 or 2? maybe 3 max? does he play at an elite level into his mid 30s?

trading him is a gamble at this point, but if we can fool the cowboys into giving up a 1st and a 3rd or something, even if its a future 1st, i would do it in a heart beat.

I think the goal should be to get enough picks that we dont HAVE to trade out of 18 in case a theres a cant miss player that drops to us.
Holy shitballs of America, I think I mostly agree with this.

I love having Earl on the team, but he's not gonna be here forever. If we think Tedric Thompson is ready to play, or if Kam returns and McDougald can play FS, then trading Earl may be the best move if decent value comes back our way. It wouldn't be horrible to just keep him for this final year and let him play it out and then walk, but he's turning 29 in May and has been accumulating injuries these last few years. Not sure it would be wise to extend him and tie up big money when he's 30 in a year and a half.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was good times with the LOB, gotta move on. Great teams know when to move on. its time.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good god im tired of hearing from the LOB first Kam with his contract, then sherm wants to chime in on everything with his opinion and now Earl wants more money. What pisses me off about these personalities on the defense is that they ask for all this money and when the offense cant move the ball an inch because russ is throwing behind offensive lineman that were drafted in the 5th round and have journeyman running backs they complain that the offense isnt doing their job.

My theory is that when they ask for more money they usually get the answer of "the cap is tight" so I think Kam more than likely will retire which will leave like around 12 million so when Earl comes to the table for a new contract he can say "hey I want the money that Kam left on table" I am all for giving him a raise but if he wants to be paid as the highest safety in the league and ask for 13-15 million a year then there will be a problem.

My thing is that NFL players really believe that free agency is the best place to get paid and that the grass is greener blah blah blah. Earl wants to go to Dallas but Dallas cap space is like 8th highest in the league and I am sure they focus is on signing Demarcus Lawrence after his 15 sack performance he put up they are already probably gonna ask Dez to take a pay cut. bottom line if he wants to go to Dallas so bad then it will more than likely be for the same amount if not less then what he will get in Seattle.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can get a high pick from dallas for him, they should do it. if they low ball, let him play out his last year. i just dont think it helps this team right now to load the salary cap on older players that may or may not play out their contracts at a high level.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear he wants to go to Dallas as we all know, so here's an idea......trade Earl for Dez and possibly some draft pick compensation on one side or the other. Dez has a lot more left in terms of career, and the two contracts allow for the other to be on the other team. This would leave a large hole at safety, but replacing Paul Richardson with Dez would be an upgrade on offense. Bottom line, Dez doesn't get used in Dallas since Dak arrived and Earl will eventually be a Cowboy whether we like it or not so we might as well get something of value for him. Earl has been my favorite player since we drafted him, but if he has to go I hope we get something in return rather than getting Felixed.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear he wants to go to Dallas as we all know, so here's an idea......trade Earl for Dez and possibly some draft pick compensation on one side or the other. Dez has a lot more left in terms of career, and the two contracts allow for the other to be on the other team. This would leave a large hole at safety, but replacing Paul Richardson with Dez would be an upgrade on offense. Bottom line, Dez doesn't get used in Dallas since Dak arrived and Earl will eventually be a Cowboy whether we like it or not so we might as well get something of value for him. Earl has been my favorite player since we drafted him, but if he has to go I hope we get something in return rather than getting Felixed.
Dez Bryant??? Are you fuggin shittin me?! This is why I'm so glad fans are not in charge. I would rather have a sack o' hammers than that cancerous clown.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... russ is throwing behind offensive lineman that were drafted in the 5th round ...

Except he's not. The OL has been terrible, no question, and Cable certainly earned his firing, but there have been early round picks starting all over this line for quite a while. Even with Odhiambo beginning the year at LT, the lowest pick on the starting unit was Glowinski in the 4th. The line that ended the year had nothing worse than a 2nd round pick on it. You can point to a couple projects here and there like Fant & Gilliam, but for every one of those guys there's probably at least 2 players in the 3rd round or better.

My theory is that when they ask for more money they usually get the answer of "the cap is tight" so I think Kam more than likely will retire which will leave like around 12 million so when Earl comes to the table for a new contract he can say "hey I want the money that Kam left on table" I am all for giving him a raise but if he wants to be paid as the highest safety in the league and ask for 13-15 million a year then there will be a problem.

But Kam an injury clause that guarantees him $12M following the SB. He would be a fool to retire and leave that on the table. I do agree Earl probably wants to be the highest paid safety, just like he was when he signed his current extension.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez Bryant??? Are you fuggin shittin me?! This is why I'm so glad fans are not in charge. I would rather have a sack o' hammers than that cancerous clown.

Are you fuggin shittin me?!

Yes, if it comes down to something like a trade for Dez or Earl ends up walking this is a trade that I absolutely do! Since we all have the Cowboys crammed down our throat for a lot of the national games I've noticed that Dez is a super passionate player. The Cowboys paid him a lot of money, and then as soon as Dak showed up his production went way down. Doug has a similar fire that doesn't go beyond on the field.

cancerous clown

The Hawks are full of them, we'll be ok.

I would rather have a sack o' hammers

This is why I'm so glad fans are not in charge!