• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles targeting defensive line in first round

G

greenwing

I hope this is just a rumor and not the direction they want to go. We just have too many bigger needs to be spending our first pick on luxury.

Last edited by a moderator:

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope this is just a rumor and not the direction they want to go. We just have too many bigger needs to be spending our first pick on luxury.
If it's for the BPA, I'm all for it. I don'r mind a pass rusher. If we can get pressure on the QB, the CB may end up ok as a result.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's Derek Barnett I wouldn't mind it at all. He's a complete DE who showed heart by doing everything at the Combine despite having the flu. Tape is really good on him and he would immediately fill the role left behind by Barwin. Vinny Curry showed nothing last year to justify the contract the Eagles gave him. We could really use an upgrade at End opposite Graham.

G

greenwing

If it's Derek Barnett I wouldn't mind it at all. He's a complete DE who showed heart by doing everything at the Combine despite having the flu. Tape is really good on him and he would immediately fill the role left behind by Barwin. Vinny Curry showed nothing last year to justify the contract the Eagles gave him. We could really use an upgrade at End opposite Graham.

But we literally have no RB or CB. We have depth on DL for the most part and dont forget that former first round pick Marcus smith.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A luxury? Nothing is more important in football than attacking the opposing QB.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we literally have no RB or CB. We have depth on DL for the most part and dont forget that former first round pick Marcus smith.

CB is plentiful in this draft ... possibly the deepest CB class I can remember and I've been following the draft for a long time :) RB is a position you can always find in the middle or late rounds ... for example you can snag a kid like Elijah McGuire (whom I really like) in Rd 4 or 5.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its luxury if you have glaring needs at other position that need immediate attention.

No, it's the most important thing in football. Any CB will be better with a dominant Dline and every CB will be worse with a weak Dline. If you haven't noticed our Dline is worse than it was last year already. It's a Dline heading in the wrong direction. That must be fixed.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DL on this team is far from a luxury. Although the defense was improved last year, it is far from a finished product - we need a talent boost and better depth at almost every position on the defense, line included. IF "BPA" in the 1st is a defensive lineman, I'm all for it.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK, if we get a RB; 2 CBs; Ryan Switzer; Brandon Bell (LB); S; OT; besides Barnett.

G

greenwing

CB is plentiful in this draft ... possibly the deepest CB class I can remember and I've been following the draft for a long time :) RB is a position you can always find in the middle or late rounds ... for example you can snag a kid like Elijah McGuire (whom I really like) in Rd 4 or 5.

I don't know. I really feel we lacked in a consistent running game last year and we need that to help take the pressure off Wentz.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is a crazy thought. They need a better DE opposite of Graham. And they may be able to get some decent corners in the second and third round.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alot of money in DE right now, but if Curry isn't getting the job done, then getting somebody who can get to the QB can mask some deficiencies you might have in the defensive backfield.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is ... aside from Derek Barnett, what other DLineman is worth the 14th pick who isn't projected to go top 10? Garrett will go 1, then you have Solomon Thomas and Jonathan Allen. Aside from that I'm not sure who else at DL they would be looking at with pick 14. Then again nobody knows what the Eagles are really doing with the pick ... this was all just a guess.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is ... aside from Derek Barnett, what other DLineman is worth the 14th pick who isn't projected to go top 10? Garrett will go 1, then you have Solomon Thomas and Jonathan Allen. Aside from that I'm not sure who else at DL they would be looking at with pick 14. Then again nobody knows what the Eagles are really doing with the pick ... this was all just a guess.

With so many holes, I can see many option with #14. There are only 4 positions that aren't a possibility at #14 and they are QB, S, C, and OG. You could make a good case for any of the others... though I'm guessing OT has nobody in the draft of #14 quality so that one might be tough.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With so many holes, I can see many option with #14. There are only 4 positions that aren't a possibility at #14 and they are QB, S, C, and OG. You could make a good case for any of the others... though I'm guessing OT has nobody in the draft of #14 quality so that one might be tough.

I see many options too ... but we're just talking DLinemen

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year's trade for Carson Wentz ended up being Demarco Murray, Byron Maxwell, Kiko Alonso, Larry Tunsil (#8 pick, starting OT, Miami) & Worley (#77 pick, starting CB, Carolina) plus this year's #1.

Got the QB, but a 6 for 1 trade creates alot of holes.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I felt the D-Line was not so great last year. Bennie Logan was ok, but if we have another D-Lineman that can put pressure on the QB, which I felt was lacking last year, I am ok with it.
This draft is deep at CB, we can get a couple in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rds. We can either get an RB in the 4th or sign a Cap Casualty later in the off-season.
I would be fine with Derek Barnett. Not all the players mentioned on these threads can be picked in the top 10 or even the 1st round. I would not be wurprised if McCaffrey is there in the 2nd round.
The main thing is we need to on target this year because next year the Cap may be even tighter.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They may like Taco Charlton or Malik McDowell, both of whom have super high upside but huge downside.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got the QB, but a 6 for 1 trade creates alot of holes.[/QUOTE]
They may like Taco Charlton or Malik McDowell, both of whom have super high upside but huge downside.

None of them @14 would I like. there are 2nd and 3rd round players on the DL that will be good value.