• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles on RB

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot say that the Eagles were not valuing RB high last year, even tho it didn't turn out that way. I think we did fine drafting the way we did. I have to admit, I did not think we valued RB very high, and just don't see us taking one at 1.32.

Nice read and some open statements about their plans last year in regards to RB

In a rare moment of transparency, Roseman simply stated the obvious. While Pumphrey was selected after impact tailbacks such as Christian McCaffrey (first round), Dalvin Cook (second), and Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt (third), the Eagles had hoped one would fall to them in each of those rounds.

Roseman had even tried to move up for Cook, but the Vikings leapfrogged two spots ahead of him. The Eagles would ultimately draft defensive end Derek Barnett and cornerbacks Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas in the first three rounds – each a promising prospect in his own right – but the team scrambled to get a running back it liked on Day 3.

then again.... devil's advocate....

Jeremiah has Michel, a Georgia product, slotted to the Eagles at No. 32 in his latest first-round mock draft. A former Eagles scout, Jeremiah correctly predicted the Barnett selection last April. But the Eagles haven't drafted a running back as high in more than 30 years and the highest pick Roseman has expended on the position was with Pumphrey.

The organization has long devalued the running back spot, particularly how it ranks in importance alongside other positions, and it is a belief increasingly held across the NFL. Running backs’ relatively short shelf life is the most prominently cited reason for the decreasing value. Depth at the position over the last decade has also contributed to first-round talents falling.

“Kamara is the guy we talked about last year. … I know a lot of teams I talked to had first-round grades on him,” Jeremiah said of the 2017 offensive rookie of the year. “We had him in the 20s and he fell to the third round, and I guarantee … there’s some teams that passed on him in the second or early third round that wished they wouldn’t have.”

Aside from Kamara and the Chiefs’ Hunt, who led the NFL in rushing, Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas cited the Cardinals’ David Johnson as another recent third-round hit. But there are Day 3 examples, as well, like the Falcons’ Devonta Freeman (fourth round), the Bears’ Jordan Horward (fifth) and Ajayi (fifth).

Last edited:

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless someone drops, Sony Michel is my #1 guy at 32. Love that kid