• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

EA buys Respawn...

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like EA bought the for about 455 million... not a bad deal for EA

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EA once again ready to destroy another developer, R.I.P. Respawn.

All of their victims...

Visceral Games Joins A Long List Of Studios Closed By EA

There’s a two-stage pattern that emerges when you look at the studios EA has bought and closed. First, small development studios that have made great games are lured by EA’s money. Second, the creative and innovative people who made those games leave when they find out what it’s like to create the games that EA wants them to make within the company's corporate environment.

Rather than buy talented development studios and give them the freedom to do more of what they’re good at, EA buys the studio and demands that they churn out games that EA believes will make money. It’s as if EA bought the Los Angeles Dodgers and then demanded the entire pitching staff stopped working on pitching and shifted to becoming power hitters because they believe fans pay to see home runs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we going to pretend that Titanfall was some wildly innovative series? Its fun but being the most creative Call of Duty type of game still makes it pretty standard.

The first one sold because there was a dearth of content on the Xbox 1 and it was exclusive. Once it had competition it was seen for the above average 2nd tier series that it was but thats not really what drives multiplayer games. Multiplayer games seem to be bought based around the idea that everyone buys them.

I'm sure EA will screw it up again but 'corporate environment' is basically the whole AAA industry at the moment.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've never been a fan of Titanfall. I just hate EA buying anyone, they ruined some good companies like Bioware. Bioware had the some of the best games. Now Bioware's future looks very bleak.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've never been a fan of Titanfall. I just hate EA buying anyone, they ruined some good companies like Bioware. Bioware had the some of the best games. Now Bioware's future looks very bleak.
I'll wait for Anthem before I declare them dead. The problems with Mass Effect mostly deal with people who didnt know how to use Frostbite trying to create No Man's Sky before they knew how to make No Man's Sky type of games.

If Anthem fails then I'll know they are a junk company but until then I still have hope.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only EA ran their business like Rockstar or Bethesda. With the resources they have at their disposal they could create the greatest games imaginable if they would just take their time and perfect it.

Red Dead was pushed back 6 months because they want it to be perfect, EA would have pushed it up 6 months. EA would have saturated us with Elder Scrolls games. I just wish they understood the market a bit more.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll wait for Anthem before I declare them dead. The problems with Mass Effect mostly deal with people who didnt know how to use Frostbite trying to create No Man's Sky before they knew how to make No Man's Sky type of games.

If Anthem fails then I'll know they are a junk company but until then I still have hope.
Look at Star Wars Battlefield 2. Look at what happened with Mass Effect Andromeda. You ever see that game's multiplayer? It's a microtransaction loot box hell.

Anthem will be a guaranteed shit-show.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at Star Wars Battlefield 2. Look at what happened with Mass Effect Andromeda. You ever see that game's multiplayer? It's a microtransaction loot box hell.

Anthem will be a guaranteed shit-show.
I don't think microtransactions by themselves are a dealbreaker. If I were to buy Call of Duty at a Black Friday sale for $40 then I'm open to the idea of microtransactions IF it actually adds new creative content.

Here is the actual issue with microtransactions - lately they're either 'pay for Power' or 'pay to win' and both are total bullshit. Some of them are 'pay for a roulette spin at MAYBE getting more Power' and those should be illegal, imo. They can also be 'pay for cosmetics' which I find to be rather pointless so I dont have an issue with that but none of it is actually new, creative content.

We're getting to the point where the microtransactions need their own part of every AAA game review because these games are certainly being built around them. Games like Need for Speed Paymore or Destiny 2 really dont have terrible lootbox systems. Their flaws are in other areas, imo.

Anthem might still be fine but its probably a 50/50 shot of being any good and thats kind of sad considering its budget and hype.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think microtransactions by themselves are a dealbreaker. If I were to buy Call of Duty at a Black Friday sale for $40 then I'm open to the idea of microtransactions IF it actually adds new creative content.

Here is the actual issue with microtransactions - lately they're either 'pay for Power' or 'pay to win' and both are total bullshit. They can also be 'pay for cosmetics' which I find to be rather pointless so I dont have an issue with that but none of it is actually new, creative content.

We're getting to the point where the microtransactions need their own part of every AAA game review because these games are certainly being built around them. Games like Need for Speed Paymore or Destiny 2 really dont have terrible lootbox systems. Their flaws are in other areas, imo.

Anthem might still be fine but its probably a 50/50 shot of being any good and thats kind of sad considering its budget and hype.
They are just taking a hammer to the game, breaking parts out, and putting it behind a paywall, and disguising it as an achievement wall.

It's just extra infuriating after you pay AAA prices for one.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are just taking a hammer to the game, breaking parts out, and putting it behind a paywall, and disguising it as an achievement wall.

It's just extra infuriating after you pay AAA prices for one.
The worst offender I know is any game with a loot system that gives you a chance at upgrades. In Destiny 2, you can pay for an Engram that can give up a duplicate of something you already have. Thats so unbelievably bad that I can't even come up with a proper comparison.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but I actually enjoyed titanfall and titanfall 2, they also sold quite well overall... Could they be better, yes... Are they innovative yes/No. Why? because the game mechanics are so smooth...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but I actually enjoyed titanfall and titanfall 2, they also sold quite well overall... Could they be better, yes... Are they innovative yes/No. Why? because the game mechanics are so smooth...
I enjoyed TF2's creative story mode and the overall gunplay is really good like you say.

There is just this narrative that EA let Titanfall 2 die and I don't think that is true. We've seen a lot of great games with mediocre or even bad sales. By that definition, Wolfenstein II should have sold like twelve copies because it came out next to a Call of Duty game that is twice as popular with the exact same theme and I doubt that Wolfenstein II was 'left to die'

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here is the actual issue with microtransactions - lately they're either 'pay for Power' or 'pay to win' and both are total bullshit. Some of them are 'pay for a roulette spin at MAYBE getting more Power' and those should be illegal, imo. They can also be 'pay for cosmetics' which I find to be rather pointless so I dont have an issue with that but none of it is actually new, creative content.

I don't have an issue with people buying add-ons that give their characters dances and colorful clothes/armor. I have a problem with the way the games always seem to be set up where experienced players always have an upper hand based on things they have unlocked for playing more or buying the game's currency to make their player better. It's not that fun to be new to a game, get pummeled by unfair advantages, and they only way to even the odds is to grind it out for months or fork over extra money.

It's one thing to have better strategy and skill within the game. It's another to be a lamb to the slaughter from the start.