• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dynamic Playmakers at #14

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree that this draft is stacked with talent but just how many dynamic playmakers will be available at #14? First I would offer that the dynamic guys are limited to the offense. Great defensive players but not dynamic with perhaps the exception of LB Reddick. The real dynamite lives on the offensive side and after watching tape, reading bio's, watching the combine and a few games I am down to declaring 2 dynamic playmakers;
1. Christian McCaffrey
2. John Ross
If the Eagles want a difference maker it is one of these two. This is not to say that they are the only qualified prospects at #14, just the most dynamic. On offense I am quick becoming a fan of RB A. Kamara and OJ Howard on defense CB C. Tankersley and White plus the aforementioned Reddick.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't like Cook? Kid is quick, can run with power, catches the ball well, and is a willing blocker.

#14 is too high for McCaffrey. If he is the pick, we can move down 4-5 spots easily.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming we sign or trade for a vet CB - I think that this is a must - Cook, Davis, or Ross would be my pick.
Then in the succeeding rounds: CB;DE; DT; S; and hopefully we can get these in each round without reachng.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually becoming more and more of the mindset that Mccaffrey makes perfect sense here as well. He is climbing, and a great lockerroom leader as well. He will get along really well with Wentz and would be the heir replacement for sproles. What a GREAT situation to come in, to learn a year behind sproles. McCoy credited westbrook with helping him tremendously early on also, when McCoy use to go down when someone simply touched him. Mccaffrey makes a ton of sense. And I don't think it's even worth trading down a few spots as IND is looking for a RB as well, right behind us. He is a day 1 starter - that's all you need to ask from a 1st round pick, and better than we have done in the past. I'm on board.

1st - McCaffrey
2nd - bpa at CB
3rd - CB Jones (IR for 1 year)

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ross and McCaffrey are 2 players if you look at last year's college thread ... that I've always been high on. The only issue with Ross is his injury history, but if the team doctors don't think it will affect him going forward I think he's going to be a dynamite pro (the surgeries obviously have not affected his speed). Not only is he lightning fast, but his quickness in and out of cuts may be some of the best I've ever seen. McCaffrey on the other hand is the new age kind of RB who doesn't need 20+ carries to make a huge impact ... get him the ball as a receiver in space 6-8 times per game and he'll get you 50-70 yards as just a receiver. For the life of me I have no idea why many were dropping him well into Rd 2 of some mocks. I do love Cooks as well ... I could care less that his combine drills were sub par ... look at the game tape, kid's a stud. Bottom line ... if the Eagles want a play maker at 14 instead of going Defense, there won't be a shortage of options. Hell, even if they trade down they could snag a Curtis Samuel who's a kid people seem to be forgetting, but gives you a lot of what McCaffery would give you with even better speed.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bleacherreport... at 14.. has all these guys available...

WR Mike Williams
RB Dalvin Cook
TE OJ Howard

They have us taking TE Howard

He is incredible, but I don't think TE is a huge need, and no reason to use the resources on it right now. Ertz is fine, and so is the depth. I do LOVE seeing us use more 2 and 3 TE sets (albeit it to cover up OL and WR weaknesses).

If it's me, I think I'm going WR Mike Williams, as much as I hate going WR in the 1st. I think this kid learning under Alshon would be a great situation. Better than drafting him without Alshon here. Then I'm looking to trade Matthews and/or Agholor. Alshon/Williams would be an awesome combo, with speed like Torry thrown in. Talk about some physical WR's!!! This is exactly what we need for Wentz.

Other tid bits

RB McCaffrey goes to NE at 32. That would be horrible for the rest of the NFL.

CB's drafted.... in the 1st.

CB Lattimore to ARI - 1 pick before us
CB Humphrey to TB @ 19
CB Tabor to DEN @ 20
CB Wilson to OAK @ 24
CB Jackson to DAL @ 28
CB Jones to GB @ 29 (surprised this high w/injury)

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually as of yesterday... they changed things, and actually have us taking RB McCaffrey

The Pick: RB Christian McCaffrey, Stanford

The Philadelphia Eagles offense has the potential to be dynamic, but it's missing one piece. Running back remains a void even with veterans
Darren Sproles and Ryan Mathews on the roster.

After the organization signed both Alshon Jeffery and
Torrey Smith to upgrade a subpar wide receiver corps, the offense now features legitimate weapons on the outside along with Jordan Matthews out of the slot and Zach Ertz at tight end.

Second-year quarterback Carson Wentz should be extremely happy. Although, he still requires a consistent presence out of the backfield.

Stanford's Christian McCaffrey is a dynamic multipurpose weapon equally dangerous as a runner, receiver and returner. The running back provided one of the best workouts at the NFL combine, too. He posted a 4.48-second 40-yard dash, 37.5-inch vertical and 10'1" broad jump.

Adrian Peterson is the last first-round running back to provide those kind of athletic numbers, per ESPN Stats & Info (via Stanford Football).

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually as of yesterday... they changed things, and actually have us taking RB McCaffrey

The Pick: RB Christian McCaffrey, Stanford

The Philadelphia Eagles offense has the potential to be dynamic, but it's missing one piece. Running back remains a void even with veterans
Darren Sproles and Ryan Mathews on the roster.

After the organization signed both Alshon Jeffery and
Torrey Smith to upgrade a subpar wide receiver corps, the offense now features legitimate weapons on the outside along with Jordan Matthews out of the slot and Zach Ertz at tight end.

Second-year quarterback Carson Wentz should be extremely happy. Although, he still requires a consistent presence out of the backfield.

Stanford's Christian McCaffrey is a dynamic multipurpose weapon equally dangerous as a runner, receiver and returner. The running back provided one of the best workouts at the NFL combine, too. He posted a 4.48-second 40-yard dash, 37.5-inch vertical and 10'1" broad jump.

Adrian Peterson is the last first-round running back to provide those kind of athletic numbers, per ESPN Stats & Info (via Stanford Football).

awesome... lets draft a white RB...

Why not another 26 year old fire fighting guard.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cook is a problem child albeit an excellent RB and my post was merely that McCaffrey would be available at #14. He is climbing the ladder but I would advocate moving down a few spots if one were fairly certain he or Ross would be there.
Also saw this tonight.....
https://us.yahoo.com/sports/news/philadelphia-eagles-hold-visit-washington-152649423.html

Cook is a problem child? I know he some issues very early in his career but problem kids don't do stuff like this:

FSU's Dalvin Cook says trip to Children's Hospital opened eyes

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awesome... lets draft a white RB...

Why not another 26 year old fire fighting guard.

Wow - what does it matter that McCaffrey is white?!? Dude can ball!

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCaffrey would be the perfect replacement for Darren Sproles long term, and we've seen how valuable even an "old" Sproles is to this offense - McCaffrey can do all the same things and is a plus kick returner on top of that. Compares to Brian Westbrook. Daniel Jeremiah thinks he could go Top 15, so it's not out of the question if he's the pick at 14. He could be very impactful in our offense, if he's utilized the same way we employ Sproles.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCaffrey's one of the best receivers at the RB position we've seen come out in a while. Not only does he have great hands, but he can run routes like a WR. He fits what Offenses in today's NFL are all about. Gone are the days of ram it down the throat power football ... a kid like McCaffrey will be a huge weapon in the NFL and will more than likely go in the top 25. I'm not huge on "traditional" RB in Rd 1, but a player like McCaffrey would improve the passing game so much that you have to take a hard look at him with that 14th pick.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cook is a problem child? I know he some issues very early in his career but problem kids don't do stuff like this:

FSU's Dalvin Cook says trip to Children's Hospital opened eyes

LOL yes they do. Someone sends him there hoping the kid can gain some perspective.

Cook even agreed "opened my eyes." How long did they stay open though after leaving the hospital?

He has dynamic, explosive talent but he is a big BIG risk in a lot of ways:

1) Injuries - he has had 3 shoulder surgeries since high school. His shoulders are going to get hit hard and often in the NFL.
2) Character - multiple arrests
3) Pass blocking - rookie RB isn't going to help much if he can't keep Wentz upright
4) Doesn't have clean hands (fumbles, drops)

I'd rank those concerns 1, 4, 3, 2.

That is too much for me in the first. I need a sure thing if I am going for that position.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree that this draft is stacked with talent but just how many dynamic playmakers will be available at #14? First I would offer that the dynamic guys are limited to the offense. Great defensive players but not dynamic with perhaps the exception of LB Reddick. The real dynamite lives on the offensive side and after watching tape, reading bio's, watching the combine and a few games I am down to declaring 2 dynamic playmakers;
1. Christian McCaffrey
2. John Ross
If the Eagles want a difference maker it is one of these two. This is not to say that they are the only qualified prospects at #14, just the most dynamic. On offense I am quick becoming a fan of RB A. Kamara and OJ Howard on defense CB C. Tankersley and White plus the aforementioned Reddick.

I like the way you are thinking, wahoo. Those two guys are absolute offensive weapons that would change the way defenses have to play us. Both are excellent compliments to Jeffery as well. Ross's injury concerns scare me away in the first though.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't go defense, I lean McCaffrey as well. He makes it look so easy and can do everything. That's probably why people were missing how athletic he actually is. 6.57 on the cone is absolutely ridiculous.

Fournette is a 20+ touch guy and McCaffrey is a 20+ touch guy. Just because more of those 20 will come through the air shouldn't drop him. Especially in a passing league. Especially with so many games won on last drives, he will be a weapon there. In a two minute offense he's even more useful than Fournette.

Reactions: Rey

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL yes they do. Someone sends him there hoping the kid can gain some perspective.

Cook even agreed "opened my eyes." How long did they stay open though after leaving the hospital?

He has dynamic, explosive talent but he is a big BIG risk in a lot of ways:

1) Injuries - he has had 3 shoulder surgeries since high school. His shoulders are going to get hit hard and often in the NFL.
2) Character - multiple arrests
3) Pass blocking - rookie RB isn't going to help much if he can't keep Wentz upright
4) Doesn't have clean hands (fumbles, drops)

I'd rank those concerns 1, 4, 3, 2.

That is too much for me in the first. I need a sure thing if I am going for that position.

Like I said he's had some issues early but he is far from a bad kid. Personally I think the character issues will be the least of team's concerns.

Between the two, would you prefer McCaffrey over Cook at 14 instead?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said he's had some issues early but he is far from a bad kid. Personally I think the character issues will be the least of team's concerns.

Between the two, would you prefer McCaffrey over Cook at 14 instead?

I ranked character concerns last of my concerns as well.

Yes, I prefer McCaffrey.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
name for me the last great white running back... one year wonders don't count.

I'm not trying to make it sound like he would be the end-all solution, but he's an interesting option that would bring a lot of different skills to the field. The Eagles have had players in the past with similar skill sets that have been very successful in the offense they're running. The fact that he's white is a non-issue for me.