• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dwight Clark reveals he has ALS

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former 49er great Dwight Clark has revealed he has been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or more commonly knows as Lou Gehrig’s disease or ALS. The man who played a massive role in launching a dynasty will face his biggest challenge in life.

Good to see the franchise and a lot of ex-teammates rally around him. Best wishes to DC and Kelly.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sucks.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My profile pic is my favorite 49er moment. Always remember DC for that

DestroyYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sucks. One of my good friends had the chance to meet Dwight at a Card Show convention a couple of years back for an autograph session. Dwight not only signed the 49er helmet that my friend took but also diagrammed "The Catch" on one side of it. It looked awesome. I have a 12x24 poster where Dwight did the same thing. My friend said Dwight was a really really nice guy to top it off.

Hate hearing news like this.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really sucks to hear, all the best wishes out to Clark

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sucks....sorry to hear this.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a shame. He's probably my all time favorite 49er. I'll bet though if you told Clark when he was in college that you can have this amazing pro career but when you turn 50 you'll have ALS, he'd take it in a heartbeat.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. I came off the couch so hard I think my head hit the ceiling.

Yea, it was my first real experience with playoff success. I remember when the Warriors won in 75-76, but I was young and didn't really follow basketball then. I do remember Dallas beating the 49ers a couple of times prior to that and how bad the team stunk prior to Walsh taking over. It was just an awesome moment. The whole season actually because that team really came out of nowhere.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, it was my first real experience with playoff success. I remember when the Warriors won in 75-76, but I was young and didn't really follow basketball then. I do remember Dallas beating the 49ers a couple of times prior to that and how bad the team stunk prior to Walsh taking over. It was just an awesome moment. The whole season actually because that team really came out of nowhere.
My first playoff experience as a fan was a 17-14 victory over the Vikings in frigid conditions up there in 1970. Then they lost to Dallas. Next was a victory over the Redskins in 1971 followed by a loss to Dallas. Then in 1972 another devastating loss to Dallas after we had a 28-10 lead (fucking Preston Riley). I also remember the Dubs championship year of 1975 but nothing compares to the Clark catch that beat the hated Cowboys. We suffered through some pretty lean years as Bay Area sports fans.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first playoff experience as a fan was a 17-14 victory over the Vikings in frigid conditions up there in 1970. Then they lost to Dallas. Next was a victory over the Redskins in 1971 followed by a loss to Dallas. Then in 1972 another devastating loss to Dallas after we had a 28-10 lead (fucking Preston Riley). I also remember the Dubs championship year of 1975 but nothing compares to the Clark catch that beat the hated Cowboys. We suffered through some pretty lean years as Bay Area sports fans.

I remember in 1980, the team got off to something like a 4-2 start with Steve DeBerg and there was a lot of excitement only to have the team implode later. So in 1981 I was waiting for the team to implode again but they just kept winning. The whole run was amazing.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember in 1980, the team got off to something like a 4-2 start with Steve DeBerg and there was a lot of excitement only to have the team implode later. So in 1981 I was waiting for the team to implode again but they just kept winning. The whole run was amazing.
Yes. In 1980 Deberg started the first nine and Montana the last seven. Its funny, I clearly remember the Niners winning the first three, losing the next ten and then winning the last three but I found out, like a lot of things I knew to be true, that this wasn't true either.
I remember the 49ers starting 1981 at 1 and 2, then winning seven in a row, then losing to the Browns and running the table after that culminating in the Super Bowl. Wouldn't surprise me to find that I was wrong about that as well though.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. In 1980 Deberg started the first nine and Montana the last seven. Its funny, I clearly remember the Niners winning the first three, losing the next ten and then winning the last three but I found out, like a lot of things I knew to be true, that this wasn't true either.
I remember the 49ers starting 1981 at 1 and 2, then winning seven in a row, then losing to the Browns and running the table after that culminating in the Super Bowl. Wouldn't surprise me to find that I was wrong about that as well though.

Bill Walsh had stated the big difference between 1980 and 1981 was the defense. The defense improved with the additions of Lott, Williamson, Hicks, Wright and Dean among others. Montana helped obviously. He was clutch versus Deberg who could play well but had a penchant for turning the ball over at the worst times.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Walsh had stated the big difference between 1980 and 1981 was the defense. The defense improved with the additions of Lott, Williamson, Hicks, Wright and Dean among others. Montana helped obviously. He was clutch versus Deberg who could play well but had a penchant for turning the ball over at the worst times.
I still remember Fred Dean's first game with the Niners when they traded for him during the season. He dominated the line of scrimmage against Dallas. I had not heard anything about him in quite a while andf had forgotten about him. I think he was in the doghouse in San Diego. But what a huge addition he was to the team. The only single defensive player I can think of that had more impact just by himself was Deion Sanders. Hated Sanders but damn he was incredible. But, yeah, the addition of those three rookie DBs in the '81 draft was huge.
Remember Walsh's infamous quote about Deberg? He said "Steve Deberg is just good enough to get you beat".

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember Fred Dean's first game with the Niners when they traded for him during the season. He dominated the line of scrimmage against Dallas. I had not heard anything about him in quite a while andf had forgotten about him. I think he was in the doghouse in San Diego. But what a huge addition he was to the team. The only single defensive player I can think of that had more impact just by himself was Deion Sanders. Hated Sanders but damn he was incredible. But, yeah, the addition of those three rookie DBs in the '81 draft was huge.
Remember Walsh's infamous quote about Deberg? He said "Steve Deberg is just good enough to get you beat".

Yea, Dean was in the doghouse in San Diego after a contract dispute.. San Diego was fed up with him so they ended up trading him to SF. This is one of Fred Dean's famous quotes " Every now and then, I get an urge to lift weights… and I just go somewhere and lie down until I get over it.” LOL. He was dominant and then he ended up having that long contract dispute in 1984 which really pissed Eddie D off. He ended up gone the next season. I don't think his heart was into playing any longer and he opened up an auto repair business. I remember that quote from Bill Walsh and it was so true.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, Dean was in the doghouse in San Diego after a contract dispute.. San Diego was fed up with him so they ended up trading him to SF. This is one of Fred Dean's famous quotes " Every now and then, I get an urge to lift weights… and I just go somewhere and lie down until I get over it.” LOL. He was dominant and then he ended up having that long contract dispute in 1984 which really pissed Eddie D off. He ended up gone the next season. I don't think his heart was into playing any longer and he opened up an auto repair business. I remember that quote from Bill Walsh and it was so true.
Ha, I use that quote about exercise all the time.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, not me. I am a gym rat.
I'm not a gym rat by any stretch but I do stay in shape. At my age though its just walking, golf and some yoga. Yoga works wonders for your golf game.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the 84 Super Bowl against Miami and Dean had written the word "Warrior" on his cleats.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a gym rat by any stretch but I do stay in shape. At my age though its just walking, golf and some yoga. Yoga works wonders for your golf game.

In my case, nothing will improve my game. I'm just relegated to watching my kids play golf tournaments. I do go to the gym three times a week just to get some exercise.