• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dusty laughing at Price; Price laughing at Riggy

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Walt talked Bobby Bananas into unloading the team, though some of that was going to happen later than sooner.
The other part was not realizing the Cardinals and Pirates were getting better.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought there were two factors that got Dusty fired. The first was the team losing the last six games of the 2013 season including the WC game. Paired with statements about lack of urgency and the 2012 collaspe drove the final nail.

Another issue was the video of Brandon Phillips' tirade in Dusty's office cussing out Trent Rosecrans. That video got a lot of air play and embarrassed Bob Castellini. The Reds attempted to get rid of Phillips multiple times, but was blocked by Phillips no trade clause. Dusty was on thin ice moving forward.

You hear the same words being used in the firing of Price. Lack of urgency and a new direction. I didn't see a change of direction with either of the firings.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Reds were making the moves they termed All IN Bob Castellini stated it was making the team competitive long term. That notion illustrated a lower understanding of how the moves they made would impact the team a couple years down the road.

By 2015 they were hanging on to that notion wishing for a competitive start to the season with the mid-summer classic in Cincy. When trading players nearing free agency their intended target of return was MLB ready prospects for a quick return to competitveness. That flawed plan failed miserably. Instead of rebuilding with younger more talented prospects they were trying to reload with older marginal talented prospects. They really didn't start rebuilding until the Nick Senzel draft.

This club is still reeling from mistakes made 6-7 years ago.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice summary of what happened. I had forgotten the Phillips tirade but the collapse in the WC play-in was what triggered Banana Bob. I think he would have hired anybody at that point but he looked around for a nice guy who was readily available, probably told Walt to hire Price, and that was that. I don't think we expected the structure to collapse that quickly.
The monumental task of finding a pitching staff that includes Alfredo Pasta and Jordan Smith ... cough cough .......... and Logan Ondrusek, Sam LeCure and the potentially awesome Anthony DeSclafani ... plus having the catcher on the DL, a CF who can run very fast to second base if he gets to first ... and another ace pitcher who probably said right up front, screw you I'm leaving so you need to trade me now or else.
Admittedly there is luck involved and it takes a lot of time on the phone to get people to agree to anything. I don't think we were surprised this would be painful but it should have stopped being an insult about a year ago. What happened with Price is the result of wishing in one hand ..... I am not sad to see him go and I don't applaud him for anything he ever did. He made it up on the fly.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a CF who can run very fast to second base if he gets to first .

I'd hate to lose his defense, but I don't think Hamilton is ever going to hit his weight, and what's with all those fake bunts that are usually strikes right down the middle of the plate. Then when he is called out on a third strike he always does a pirouette and looks at the ump. Time to move on in centerfield. Schebler is alright as a backup in center, but not every day.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schebler will cost the team runs in CF but I guess the Reds need to come to grips with that.
I think they need to trade for somebody who can play there.