• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Duke Fan Gonna Take Lumps - Let Me Have It

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Duke! They are my 2nd favorite college basketball team.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U7Ghu2s.jpg

Hahahahaha. I need to pay better attention--I completely missed the joke. But, there's something to the notion, don't you think?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, redseat, this is not about you. This is about a Duke team that has been inconsistent all season. At most, they should have been a #3 seed (a #2 was stretching it) while many Duke fans insisted they were a #1. I never bought the argument that the committee should cut them slack because they had injuries or because their HOF coach decided to have back surgery and yadda, yadda, yadda. All teams suffer injuries, and coaches get sick or have surgery--yet people wouldn't accept those excuses for a lackluster season from them. That's part of the game, and they have to deal with it.

Duke's team included a lot of talented players. Yes, they won four games in four days, but that did not make up for their flaws. And, as it turns out, the ACC wasn't all that in this tournament either. Michigan also won four games in four days AFTER a harrowing plane incident, had injuries or illness that plagued the team during the season, and didn't get the benefit of that for seeding. I didn't expect them to in the same way many Duke fans expected their team to be a #1 seed.

The committee fell into the same trap previous committees have: Believing the ACC and especially Duke is first and always the best team in the best conference. People like Coach K and think he's the best thing since sliced bread. Duke has benefited from being treated favorably in seeding and/or in their path to the championship year after year. This year, the chickens came home to roost. And, it wasn't the first time.

Michigan finished 10-8 in a worse conference. Also the top 8 guys on the team didn't miss a game. Comparing Duke's injuries to Michigan's "injuries" isn't the same thing.

Also, why shouldn't the committee have thought the ACC was a very good conference this year?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit happens bro.

Being a 1 or 2 seed and bombing out first weekend is one of the worst feelings in sports. It's like being teased and teased and teased by a chick and then she friendzones you or starts dating your buddy.

I really don't think there was any reason. I really honestly think that if you reshuffled the cards and did it again this year, Duke could get hot and win. Anybody who thinks Duke cannot beat S. Carolina the majority of times they play (even in Greensville) is a moron.

But answer this ... would you have rather have won the ACC tournament and having your team tease you with being the 'real Duke' and bomb out 1st weekend ... or ... have lost to Louisville, gone in as a 4 seed, had no expectations ... and been meh about going out 1st weekend?

Yeah.... That's happened to me.... Fu*cking SUCKS!

Yes, it most certainly does. Especially during the Big Dance... Just figured I'd take some lumps since i know this board likes to do that to Duke fans.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look man, I've hated Duke long before 2001, although my 27-hour drive to Minny to watch us lose to Duke certainly etched it in stone. So let me start out by saying fuck Duke, 1000 times. I can go on saying that South Carolina got the Duke treatment and now knows what's possible if your first weekend is in your state.

All of that being said, I don't think Duke (or their fans) should spend a minute giving two shits about what people think of Duke this season. I'd like to think that AZ is a pretty solid program as far as CBB goes, and Duke has more rings than AZ has FFs, and that's both in the last 30 years. I can't even imagine going to as many FFs in the last 30 years as AZ has been to the EE. And so on. I can't even imagine that level of success.

Anyone even entertaining the idea of anything beyond a critique that goes against every team that loses, is insane to me.

Duke has spent the last three decades making it to the FF 1/3 of the time. They could be a #1 seed and lose to a #16 seed the other 2/3 of the years and if I were a Duke fan, I would love every day of it.

I'm sure this thread is lighter than I've taken it, but I guess I hear people talk shit about Duke any year they don't match their seed, and I can't see what they're talking about through all the banners hanging in Cameron.

So yeah, fuck Duke. But good season. See you next year, and fuck Duke then too.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan finished 10-8 in a worse conference. Also the top 8 guys on the team didn't miss a game. Comparing Duke's injuries to Michigan's "injuries" isn't the same thing.

Also, why shouldn't the committee have thought the ACC was a very good conference this year?

Michigan fans also weren't arguing for a #1 seed. Like all conferences, the members of the ACC play each other. What do you think made them so great? All but one team of the nine in the tournament didn't make it to the second weekend.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC was over-rated this year. How could they not be? The hype was unreal.

However, the hot takes people come up with based off the results of a single loss elimination tournament are #GLORIOUS. Easily one of the best parts about the NCAA Tournament.

Here's my #hottake:

The ACC will continue to be over-rated, because the ESPN hype machine will continue to whore the conference out. It is what it is.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan fans also weren't arguing for a #1 seed. Like all conferences, the members of the ACC play each other. What do you think made them so great? All but one team of the nine in the tournament didn't make it to the second weekend.

Because 40% of the regular season is played against NON ACC teams. The ACC was 42-28 against the other 6 best conferences in college basketball(A-10, Big East, Big 12, Big 10, SEC, Pac 12) out of conference. Meanwhile the B1G was 32-34 against the same 6 leagues. If you want the committee to seed the B1G better perform better OOC, pretty simple.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
800.jpg

just ripe for photoshopping

what the fuck name is clarky using now?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because 40% of the regular season is played against NON ACC teams. The ACC was 42-28 against the other 6 best conferences in college basketball(A-10, Big East, Big 12, Big 10, SEC, Pac 12) out of conference. Meanwhile the B1G was 32-34 against the same 6 leagues. If you want the committee to seed the B1G better perform better OOC, pretty simple.

I wasn't the one bitching about the seeding. But, it's worth noting that the seeding didn't seem to help the ACC.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't the one bitching about the seeding. But, it's worth noting that the seeding didn't seem to help the ACC.

Yeah you actually were. "The committee fell into the trap previous committees have". "Believing the ACC and especially Duke is first and always the best team in the best conference" That's bitching about seeding.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you actually were. "The committee fell into the trap previous committees have" Believing the ACC and especially Duke is first and always the best team in the best conference" That's bitching about seeding.

I didn't mention "seeding" in the information you quoted. And, I certainly didn't bitch about Michigan's seeding. You're projecting--probably because you know it's true.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mention "seeding" in the information you quoted. And, I certainly didn't bitch about Michigan's seeding. You're projecting--probably because you know it's true.

So you're wondering why Duke/ACC got the benefit of doubt, but don't see how that indirectly reflects on seeding? Also what I quoted is you bitching about the committee, I don't see how that is any different then bitching about seeding/selection since that's thier only job. I don't see how you can bitch about the committee, but be alright with their seeding/selections.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're wondering why Duke/ACC got the benefit of doubt, but don't see how that indirectly reflects on seeding? Also what I quoted is you bitching about the committee, I don't see how that is any different then bitching about seeding/selection since that's thier only job. I don't see how you can bitch about the committee, but be alright with their seeding/selections.

Yadda, yadda, yadda. . .