• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Duke Basketball 2015-2016

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach K comments on Duke's #1 recruiting class

Now that point guard Derryck Thornton has officially signed, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski can comment on the #1 recruiting class he and his staff have compiled heading in to next season.

"We're ecstatic about our recruiting class,” said Krzyzewski. “We addressed our team needs in the number of players, with losing four of our eight scholarship players, but also by bringing in a variety of talents. On the perimeter, the explosive scoring and the ball-handling that we have coming in is sensational. We have an outstanding point guard, a tremendous scorer and passer in [Luke] Kennard, the versatility of Ingram, the ability of Jeter to play both big-guy positions, and then the developing big guy in Vrankovic gives us one of the most well-rounded classes and talented classes that we've had the opportunity to bring in here at Duke."

Kennard is expected to back up Thornton at point guard, while also having the ability to play shooting guard and small forward, if needed, at 6'5". He played point for his high school team and was also Franklin's starting quarterback until his senior year.

Brandon Ingram gives Duke versatility next year, and could play anywhere from the one to the four.

"In Brandon's case, his ability to handle the ball as a 6-9 player and not just handle it, he could really be like a point guard,” said Krzyzewski. “Because he's 6-9 with a 7-3 wingspan, he can play big, too. The versatility that he has, his intelligence and his ability to score from all those positions, or help others score, make him a very multi-dimensional player."

Thornton chose to reclassify up and graduate from high school early, but Krzyzewski clearly feels he's ready to make an impact right away.

"Not everyone that handles it has to be a point guard, but Derryck [Thornton] is a true point guard,” added Krzyzewski. “His ability to pressure the ball is impressive. Really, I think he does that as well as anybody I've seen in high school basketball in the next two classes. And then he's a pass-first guard. He can pressure the ball on defense, but he can put pressure on you offensively by bringing it up quickly and then getting by people to get some easy baskets for us."

Duke Sports Information also spoke about Justin Robinson, son of former Navy and Spurs center David Robinson, who was awarded a scholarship last week.

Author
Adam Rowe @BlueDevilLair

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is the schedule out yet?

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is the schedule out yet?

Not yet. They have released bits and pieces of the Non-Conference schedule but not the full schedule. That won't be published until late in the Summer.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not yet. They have released bits and pieces of the Non-Conference schedule but not the full schedule. That won't be published until late in the Summer.

Didn't think it came out yet, just checking. Let me know when it comes out... "@" me lol

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing y'alls last two games will be at @ Wake and at home against UNC like it has been the past two seasons.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing y'alls last two games will be at @ Wake and at home against UNC like it has been the past two seasons.

It hasn't been officially made out yet, but I don't see them changing the regular season finale against the tar holes. All the other conference games could move all over the place. This will be the first season Duke plays Louisville Home and Away. The other H/A teams are NC State, Wake and Carolina. They may divert the UofL game late in the season. And Duke only plays Syracuse and Pittsburgh just once.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It hasn't been officially made out yet, but I don't see them changing the regular season finale against the tar holes. All the other conference games could move all over the place. This will be the first season Duke plays Louisville Home and Away. The other H/A teams are NC State, Wake and Carolina. They may divert the UofL game late in the season. And Duke only plays Syracuse and Pittsburgh just once.

You never know with Swofford's ACC. Remember when the ACC regular seson finale used to consist of Duke/UNC, Wake/NCSU, UVA/UMD and CU/GT? I know that expansion has screwed a few things up, but there is no reason that Wake/NCSU should not be playing each on Senior day.

Luckily, the UNC/Duke game is bigger than Swofford (and the ACC), so its definitely going to be last regular season game of the year.