• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Drop Rick Porcello from Tigers rotation?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porcello gave up 1 run on 1 hit and 1 walk in 2 innings. He struck out 3. I wouldn't read a whole lot into it, as this early in camp, pitchers are just working on mechanics and not overly concerned with location yet.

BTW, Ian Krol gets the win with a 1-2-3 5th inning, and Rondon gets the save with a 1-2-3 9th.

aar000n

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porcello gets you 7 innings. No more no less and normally does not get knocked out of games. Better than Verlander did last year.

K

kengel6

Lil Ricky doing the job. Come on Justin and Max, time to pick it up a bit.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How things change in the course of a year!

Yes, and I compared him to shields. I know what porcello has to offer, and I was very vocal about keeping him in the rotation last year in the 2013 tigers ongoing thread. Now that I talked him up last year, I have a bit of reality for ya. He will come down to earth and finish with an era between 4 and 4.5. Same thing I said last year. Im all for those numbers out of a fourth starter. But if he is pitching this well still at the all star break I think they need to trade him. Just like they should have traded max last offseason. It makes too much sense as they would be able to get a ton for him selling high because he will return to his normal numbers. If theres anything to learn about baseball its that studs will be studs, average players will be average players and bad players will be bad players. There can definitely be outliers for a season, it happens. But 95 percent of the time a player is who we thought they were. Verlander and Vmart, most of you were hating on them last year and a few of us supported them, they are who we thought they were. The same can be said of rick last year and this year.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I talked him up last year, I have a bit of reality for ya. He will come down to earth and finish with an era between 4 and 4.5.

To start the season, I said another 13-14 wins and an ERA around 3.80 - 3.90 for Rick. Looks like I'll be off on the wins.

I'm not sure the "they are who they thought they were" applies to a 25-year old. Rick basically developed in the major leagues from age 20-23, whereas most of his colleagues that age were developing in the minors. I think his progress is real, even if the sub-3.00 ERA (currently) is not. Look at where Max was through age 26, vs. where he is now.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what number 4 starter on any team has won as many games as Porcello the last 4 years? He is better than a #4 and has been that the last 4 years. putting labels on people makes no sense baseball is a game of winning. Porcello has developed into a very good starter. I believe he has a very high ceiling. He has a more certain future than any other starter because of his age.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To start the season, I said another 13-14 wins and an ERA around 3.80 - 3.90 for Rick. Looks like I'll be off on the wins.

I'm not sure the "they are who they thought they were" applies to a 25-year old. Rick basically developed in the major leagues from age 20-23, whereas most of his colleagues that age were developing in the minors. I think his progress is real, even if the sub-3.00 ERA (currently) is not. Look at where Max was through age 26, vs. where he is now.

Its possible that he does breakout, I agree. Rick is definitely a tougher player to analyze due to starting at such a young age. I dont think rick has ever had the potential that max had but he definitely has the potential to bump his ERA up. I didnt make a prediction but my prediction would have been similar 10-14 wins and a 4.2 era. Will definitely be off on the wins but I think there will definitely be ERA regresssion as the season progesses.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I also think minor league numbers are good indicators as well as to how successful a player will be. When boesch broke onto the scene I was all for trading him because he was so hot and his minor league numbers indicated that he was definitely due for a huge cold streak. People did not like the idea of trading him, but at the time they might have been able to snag an ok return.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I also think minor league numbers are good indicators as well as to how successful a player will be. When boesch broke onto the scene I was all for trading him because he was so hot and his minor league numbers indicated that he was definitely due for a huge cold streak. People did not like the idea of trading him, but at the time they might have been able to snag an ok return.

Heck no, Boesch will make his return to the D.....That swing is too pretty even when he's striking out he still looks good.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K

kengel6

Who would have thunk Lil Ricky would "be the teams' ACE"? Not me, but he may be Detroit's saving grace this season. With Zoolander in the toilet, Maxie Pooh a 50/50 event and Annibal . . . , well you fill in the blank, Jeff Jones better get to work the second half. Smiles needs to return to the BP, or he's going to lose ANY confidence that he had towards pitching.

K

kengel6

Who would have thunk Lil Ricky would "be the teams' ACE"? Not me, but he may be Detroit's saving grace this season. With Zoolander in the toilet, Maxie Pooh a 50/50 event and Annibal . . . , well you fill in the blank, Jeff Jones better get to work the second half. Smiles needs to return to the BP, or he's going to lose ANY confidence that he had towards pitching.

ACE? WTF,was I talking about? I didn't take my Prozac that day. Reminded me of a game Ricky pitched against the Angels in April 2013, 9-0 at the end of the first.
Oh well, its just ONE game, on NATIONAL tv and THREE losses in a row. NO BIG DEAL. :gaah::gaah::gaah:

K

kengel6

Best for Lil Ricky is head for the BP. Not very good stat's for the last 7 games. IF Detroit makes the playoffs, 3 man rotation is a MUST.
Go Cy Youngs.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACE? WTF,was I talking about? I didn't take my Prozac that day. Reminded me of a game Ricky pitched against the Angels in April 2013, 9-0 at the end of the first.
Oh well, its just ONE game, on NATIONAL tv and THREE losses in a row. NO BIG DEAL. :gaah::gaah::gaah:

He has hit small wall. He also made huge strides this year.

Don't forget he was facing a top offense batting average wise. Made mistakes and they took advantage of them. Thankfully Royals have no power or this not prolly be a race at all.

K

kengel6

Lil Ricky is VERY tired. Do not pitch in the Wild Card Series, take 2 oxy's and return to New Jersey.:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

K

kengel6

Lil Ricky is VERY tired. Do not pitch in the Wild Card Series, take 2 oxy's and return to New Jersey.:nod: