• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is tomorrow. Any expectations?

It looks like the top pick will likely be Casey Mize, with a chance Detroit goes with Joey Bart instead. If the Tigers do not take Mize, he will likely tumble pretty far because he has some insane signing demands regardless of pick position that would require a team to essentially punt some of their relatively high picks in order to clear the money to sign him. The Giants, at 2, have been strongly linked to Bart at 2, but passing on Mize if he falls (and going with a cheaper HS arm so they can over draft later in the draft).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are his demands?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are his demands?
He wants #1 money, regardless where he is drafted. That works for the Tigers, but the Giants apparently don’t like him enough to have to draft under-slot in the 2nd to get him. They would rather draft under slot in the first and go big the rest of the draft (reportedly).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants #1 money, regardless where he is drafted. That works for the Tigers, but the Giants apparently don’t like him enough to have to draft under-slot in the 2nd to get him. They would rather draft under slot in the first and go big the rest of the draft (reportedly).

Honestly don't know about him, nor have been following this possible draft.. Is he worth that money and hype?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly don't know about him, nor have been following this possible draft.. Is he worth that money and hype?
:noidea:

As a junior, he does have a little leverage, but I have a hard time believing he would turn down #2 or #3 money. I suspect it is more of an early negotiation ploy.

He is pretty much the consensus top prospect in the class, though. Take that for what it is worth...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a junior, he does have a little leverage, but I have a hard time believing he would turn down #2 or #3 money. I suspect it is more of an early negotiation ploy.

He is pretty much the consensus top prospect in the class, though. Take that for what it is worth...

Ya if he slides past there, he might pull a Marc Appel and go back to school.

That worked out for the Pirates and Appel believe it or not. Appel was the number 1 pick the next year and got his 7 million, the Pirates used his Comp pick to draft Austin Meadows.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya if he slides past there, he might pull a Marc Appel and go back to school.

That worked out for the Pirates and Appel believe it or not. Appel was the number 1 pick the next year and got his 7 million, the Pirates used his Comp pick to draft Austin Meadows.
Posey was the same kinda case. But that was before picks had slot values. He fell to 5 because none of the top picking teams wanted to pay his asking price (6M, IIRC). Of course, he signed and the rest is history, but it is still still the same situation.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mize is the clear top talent.

Detroit needs to find a way to not screw that up.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey was the same kinda case. But that was before picks had slot values. He fell to 5 because none of the top picking teams wanted to pay his asking price (6M, IIRC). Of course, he signed and the rest is history, but it is still still the same situation.

It’s funny how that happens when the owners try to tell everyone that the draft is about “competitive balance”

The truth is drafts and salary caps are about reducing costs

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s funny how that happens when the owners try to tell everyone that the draft is about “competitive balance”

The truth is drafts and salary caps are about reducing costs
Without a draft, only the top 6 or 7 teams would get anyone, and the Yanks would get the vast majority of the TOP talent.

The draft (or something like it) is needed for the integrity of the game. It isn’t perfect, but it is likely the best system developed yet.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a draft, only the top 6 or 7 teams would get anyone, and the Yanks would get the vast majority of the TOP talent.

The draft (or something like it) is needed for the integrity of the game. It isn’t perfect, but it is likely the best system developed yet.

That’s that bullshit the owners feed. The math about the value of young talent means teams would invest. The top teams for international amateurs before all the caps were KC and Toronto.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope the Sox draft Seth Beer so I can get a Beer jersey.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope the Sox draft Seth Beer so I can get a Beer jersey.
I’m just hoping they don’t blow The pick again.

DD might as well go all in for this year. Trade the guy last year to get more help.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is tomorrow. Any expectations?

It looks like the top pick will likely be Casey Mize, with a chance Detroit goes with Joey Bart instead. If the Tigers do not take Mize, he will likely tumble pretty far because he has some insane signing demands regardless of pick position that would require a team to essentially punt some of their relatively high picks in order to clear the money to sign him. The Giants, at 2, have been strongly linked to Bart at 2, but passing on Mize if he falls (and going with a cheaper HS arm so they can over draft later in the draft).

I'm inclined to think that even if the Tigers don't take him Mize still won't fall past 3 (Philly).

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favourite player in the draft is definitely Nick Madrigal. And he's gonna be in the running for my favourite player in MLB the second he gets the call up. I can't explain why but I just love that little fucker.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm inclined to think that even if the Tigers don't take him Mize still won't fall past 3 (Philly).
I have heard that as speculation as well. The prob is that the Hils don’t have another pick until the 4th round. I am not sure they would have enough pool money to sign Mize even if they essentially punted their rounds 4-10 picks (only the first 10 rounds create pool value). Also, while there is speculation that they may go that way, I have seen all that speculation with the caveat that there is nothing coming from the Phils themselves that they would be willing to do that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favourite player in the draft is definitely Nick Madrigal. And he's gonna be in the running for my favourite player in MLB the second he gets the call up. I can't explain why but I just love that little fucker.
I worry about Madrigal. Is the league going crazy over Altuve? Altuve is a bit of a unicorn. Just cause you see one doesn’t mean that there are others in every draft.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard that as speculation as well. The prob is that the Hils don’t have another pick until the 4th round. I am not sure they would have enough pool money to sign Mize even if they essentially punted their rounds 4-10 picks (only the first 10 rounds create pool value). Also, while there is speculation that they may go that way, I have seen all that speculation with the caveat that there is nothing coming from the Phils themselves that they would be willing to do that.

Its interesting because it really limits both sides leverage. There really isn't' more money to be there for Mize. So either #3 money is going to work or the Phils will have a lot more pool money next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its interesting because it really limits both sides leverage. There really isn't' more money to be there for Mize. So either #3 money is going to work or the Phils will have a lot more pool money next year.
I don’t know where he is from. Maybe he is playing the game a bit so he falls to a specific team???

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry about Madrigal. Is the league going crazy over Altuve? Altuve is a bit of a unicorn. Just cause you see one doesn’t mean that there are others in every draft.

Of course not but we're not talking about boosting up every single short player here, we're talking about one specific short player with a detailed history of kicking ass and winning.