• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft?? What Draft??

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight: If they can have him, they shouldn't want him; If they can't have him they should want him. Since when is filling a roster similar to dating?

Have you ever played poker and been the last one to leave the table?
Have you ever left a used car dealer swearing at you...with the keys in your hand?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure BB and company are ready to accept that, at his age the decline is going to happen and the QB draft class stinks this year. They can tag Jimmy next year and see what the class looks like then.

I agree.
My point is Bill and staff treat everybody the same.
Next man up.

It's how Brady got his job after Drew "Hall of Very Good" Bledsoe went down.
Got to have depth at every position, every year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"cough" Matt Cassell "cough".

Exactly. Lots more of this kind of story when a team is willing to trade a QB than of it actually working out.

Just looking at the list right now...

Sam Bradford traded recently--they miss the playoffs and well not a great trade.
Carson Palmer traded to Oakland for a 1st and 2nd round pick. Obviously things didn't work out well in Oakland.
Jay Cutler just released from the Bears. They traded 2 1st round picks and I think most Bears fans would tell you not worth it.
Bledsoe traded for a 1st round pick to Buffalo. He did ok but nothing great
Brad Johnson was traded for a 1st and 3rd in 1999 then a 2nd round pick in 2000. Only played for 2 years with Washington before moving on to Tampa.
Rob Johnson traded for a 1st and 4th round pick. Well nothing special.

I could go on. Of QB's that teams have traded 1st round picks for I would say Brett Favre, Joe Montana (took KC to their last AFC Championship game), and John Elway are the 3 that stick out to have worked well for a team.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody thought nearly as high of Cassell as they do Garoppolo. Outside of the injury, most were very impressed by Garoppolo. Cassell? The consensus was he was serviceable.

Completely agree.
Nobody thought Cassell would win 11 games either.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, first it's "Red Flag" if the Pats shop him. Now it's "Red Flag" no matter what. Did you scream "Red Flag" to the Texans or curse them last year? My guess is you cursed them. It's all truly in the eye of the beholder.... Always is, always was.

I'm guessing you are talking about Osweiler? I was one that was jumping for joy that we didn't get him signed. I hated his game. I hated when we made the pick. The one and only time I have ever actually emailed the Broncos telling them I hated a draft pick they were making was in 2012 with Osweiler.

And what I'm saying is there has to be a buyer beware tag put on any QB with only a few starts being put on the market. Especially when you factor in nobody quite knows how many more years there are left with Brady. I'm not saying that Jimmy G doesn't have some talent but if the Pats really do think he is a future franchise QB then they would be stupid to try shopping him. Teams spends decades trying to find one. Go ask Bears fans how long they have been waiting for one. So yes there is a buyer beware tag put with any QB that a team is willing to trade. And so far in history most of those trades have favored the team trading the QB not the other way around.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing you are talking about Osweiler? I was one that was jumping for joy that we didn't get him signed. I hated his game. I hated when we made the pick. The one and only time I have ever actually emailed the Broncos telling them I hated a draft pick they were making was in 2012 with Osweiler.

And what I'm saying is there has to be a buyer beware tag put on any QB with only a few starts being put on the market. Especially when you factor in nobody quite knows how many more years there are left with Brady. I'm not saying that Jimmy G doesn't have some talent but if the Pats really do think he is a future franchise QB then they would be stupid to try shopping him. Teams spends decades trying to find one. Go ask Bears fans how long they have been waiting for one. So yes there is a buyer beware tag put with any QB that a team is willing to trade. And so far in history most of those trades have favored the team trading the QB not the other way around.

This is way more complicated than "do we want to keep a franchise QB because ours is old". Belichick has a complicated formula for establishing value and he'll make any deal that will return more value than he gives up. This case is complicated even more by Brady being arguably the MVP last year and the high cost to keep both B & G and the potential haul they might get in a trade.

Garopollo's limited exposure and success was more that lipstick choreographed onto the pig. But as always the buyer must beware.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.
My point is Bill and staff treat everybody the same.
Next man up.

It's how Brady got his job after Drew "Hall of Very Good" Bledsoe went down.
Got to have depth at every position, every year.
Agreed and depth does not always come at a high cost. Looks what they did in FA the last two years. Got quality players in contract years on near contract years and what the SB and did the same this year with a legit shot to win again next year. BB can get one year guys that contribute then is fine with letting them leave. Win at all cost now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is way more complicated than "do we want to keep a franchise QB because ours is old". Belichick has a complicated formula for establishing value and he'll make any deal that will return more value than he gives up. This case is complicated even more by Brady being arguably the MVP last year and the high cost to keep both B & G and the potential haul they might get in a trade.

Garopollo's limited exposure and success was more that lipstick choreographed onto the pig. But as always the buyer must beware.

Again not saying that Jimmy G. won't be a star in this league. I would just have a lot of concerns if I am the team trading for him.

1) The system the Patriots run is not ran by many teams in the league. I would only trade for him if he is coming into a very similar set up with the Erhardt-Perkins system in place. That is where a lot of these NE Patriot QB's have gotten into trouble of having to try and switch to a West Coast or even the Coryell system. They can't do it. The Erhardt-Perkins system is the most QB friendly system in the NFL and not sure why more teams don't run it. Mostly seems like old coaches that refuse to give up their old systems.

2) The Patriots most of the time come out on top when it comes to trades. So again just having to keep a close eye on why the Patriots are getting rid of a talented player.

3) He only has 1 season left on his rookie deal. That means you got just 1 year to see if this guy can be your franchise QB before you have to sign him to a huge deal or tag him for big money. If he busts well as a coach and GM good chance you are getting fired for such a bonehead mistake.

4) If I am an AFC team do I really want to help the Patriots out to become even more talented than they already are?

Or hey if I am the Browns for example. I know that this next year I am not going to be competitive. It will take a year or two before that happens. So can I wait a year and then just let Jimmy G. hit the open market or if he does get tagged well then I am still trading just a 1st round pick to get him like I would this year anyway. I can offer a bigger deal than the Patriots would want to so give them that 1st and 3rd knowing that this year they are probably asking for much more than that.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3) If he busts well as a coach and GM good chance you are getting fired for such a bonehead mistake.

4) If I am an AFC team do I really want to help the Patriots out to become even more talented than they already are?

Or hey if I am the Browns for example. I know that this next year I am not going to be competitive. It will take a year or two before that happens. So can I wait a year and then just let Jimmy G. hit the open market or if he does get tagged well then I am still trading just a 1st round pick to get him like I would this year anyway. I can offer a bigger deal than the Patriots would want to so give them that 1st and 3rd knowing that this year they are probably asking for much more than that.

3) The only way Belichick gets fired for anything remotely related to this is if he coerces Jimmy into having sex with him....

4) Nobody trades with the Patriots to help them. If a team wants Garoppolo and likes the asking price, they will make the trade.

If Jimmy hits the open market he's probably not choosing the Browns.... Similar with the tag, you allow another team into the equation.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots very quietly brought in Pitt QB Nathan Peterman last week. Mike Girardi reports that it was a very long and tedious workout. No one from the press was allowed in the field house but Girardi hungb aropund to see if he could get anything. Officially, the Patriots said nothing. Why would they bring in a QB if they intended to keep JG and JB?? The word is that Peterman is the ONLY college QB who could actually start and get through an entire NFL season....................Is Peterman the future QB of the Patriots??

Combine Results
Grade
Draft Analysis:
  • 6'2" Height
  • 32" Arm Length
  • 226LBS. Weight
  • 9 7/8" Hands
Overview
A highly-recruited passer coming out of Florida, Peterman signed with Tennessee to get a chance to play SEC football. He had to feel snake-bit in Knoxville, however, since he didn't make it through his first start as a redshirt freshman or sophomore. Peterman played in four games in 2013, but broke his hand in his first start and never regained that spot (10-23, 45 yards, two INT). The next season, he was benched after two series in his only start and then was replaced by Joshua Dobbs -- who didn't let go of the reins. Peterman played in seven games that year (10-20, 49 yards). He earned his degree in only three years, however, so he transferred to Pitt to finish his career. Peterman started 11 games in 2015 (2,287 yards, 20 TD, seven INT) and held the job as a senior (2,855 yards, 27 TD, seven INT, 60.5 completion pct.)

Analysis
Strengths
Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.
Weaknesses
Inconsistent delivery base causes some throws to sail. Has instances where he short strides and is forced to muscle it to his target. Will float some throws on seams and dig routes. Will have to be mindful to drive the ball on pro level to avoid the ballhawks who are lurking at safety. Has to prove he has enough arm to challenge the same tight windows he did in college. Ball handling a little sluggish in wide receiver screens, hitches and most RPOs (run, pass option). Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws. Can improve overall touch.
Sources Tell Us
"I like him. He made me a believer when I watched him against Clemson. I do want to see him throw live and get a feel for how the ball comes out. I never saw him in person and you can't get a feel for that stuff on tape." - NFC Director of Personnel
NFL Comparison
Kirk Cousins
Bottom Line
Peterman's experience in a pro-style passing attack gives him a head start headed into the league. His physical attributes are just average, but his accuracy, composure and anticipation are what sets him apart from some of the more physically gifted quarterbacks in this year's draft. Peterman's tape is sure to catch the eye of at least a few teams in need of a quarterback and he should come off the board by day two with a chance to become a solid starting quarterback in the future.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots very quietly brought in Pitt QB Nathan Peterman last week. Mike Girardi reports that it was a very long and tedious workout. No one from the press was allowed in the field house but Girardi hungb aropund to see if he could get anything. Officially, the Patriots said nothing. Why would they bring in a QB if they intended to keep JG and JB?? The word is that Peterman is the ONLY college QB who could actually start and get through an entire NFL season....................Is Peterman the future QB of the Patriots??

Combine Results
Grade
Draft Analysis:
  • 6'2" Height
  • 32" Arm Length
  • 226LBS. Weight
  • 9 7/8" Hands
Overview
A highly-recruited passer coming out of Florida, Peterman signed with Tennessee to get a chance to play SEC football. He had to feel snake-bit in Knoxville, however, since he didn't make it through his first start as a redshirt freshman or sophomore. Peterman played in four games in 2013, but broke his hand in his first start and never regained that spot (10-23, 45 yards, two INT). The next season, he was benched after two series in his only start and then was replaced by Joshua Dobbs -- who didn't let go of the reins. Peterman played in seven games that year (10-20, 49 yards). He earned his degree in only three years, however, so he transferred to Pitt to finish his career. Peterman started 11 games in 2015 (2,287 yards, 20 TD, seven INT) and held the job as a senior (2,855 yards, 27 TD, seven INT, 60.5 completion pct.)

Analysis
Strengths
Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.
Weaknesses
Inconsistent delivery base causes some throws to sail. Has instances where he short strides and is forced to muscle it to his target. Will float some throws on seams and dig routes. Will have to be mindful to drive the ball on pro level to avoid the ballhawks who are lurking at safety. Has to prove he has enough arm to challenge the same tight windows he did in college. Ball handling a little sluggish in wide receiver screens, hitches and most RPOs (run, pass option). Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws. Can improve overall touch.
Sources Tell Us
"I like him. He made me a believer when I watched him against Clemson. I do want to see him throw live and get a feel for how the ball comes out. I never saw him in person and you can't get a feel for that stuff on tape." - NFC Director of Personnel
NFL Comparison
Kirk Cousins
Bottom Line
Peterman's experience in a pro-style passing attack gives him a head start headed into the league. His physical attributes are just average, but his accuracy, composure and anticipation are what sets him apart from some of the more physically gifted quarterbacks in this year's draft. Peterman's tape is sure to catch the eye of at least a few teams in need of a quarterback and he should come off the board by day two with a chance to become a solid starting quarterback in the future.
Due diligence? I suspect if they trade Jimmy, doubt it they would have wanted to talk to this kid.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Combine Results
Grade
Draft Analysis:
  • 6'2" Height
  • 32" Arm Length
  • 226LBS. Weight
  • 9 7/8" Hands
Overview

Analysis
Strengths
Weaknesses
Sources Tell Us
NFL Comparison
Kirk Cousins
Bottom Line

Could be working him out for his buddy down in Houston. They are in need.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6'6" 278 lbs. Adam Sheehan

Also known as....................................................................."Baby Gronk"

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize.................total misspelling of his name

Adam Shaheen
Definitely on the Patriots radar in 4th-6th round

Combine Results
Grade
5.83?
Draft Analysis:
  • 6'6" Height
  • 33 1/2" Arm Length
  • 278LBS. Weight
  • 9 5/8" Hands
Overview
Talk about a Cinderella story. Shaheen was an all-conference pick in basketball and football in Galena, Ohio, and signed with Division II Pittsburgh-Johnstown to play hoops (5.5 pts, 3.1 reb per game in 2013-2014). He then transferred to Ashland to play football, which turned out to be the right move. Shaheen caught two passes for 85 yards as the team's No. 3 tight end in 2014. He then took over the starting job the next year, catching 70 passes (for 803 yards and 10 TDs), a Division II record for tight ends. The two-time AFCA All-American and first-team All-Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference pick had another great year in 2016, setting a school record with 16 touchdowns among his 57 receptions for 867 yards.

Analysis
Strengths
Enormous frame for a tight end. Powerfully built, well-proportioned frame. Accomplished high school hooper who brings the same footwork to the field. Has good sink into breaks and can make sharp cuts coming out. Has foot quickness for clever stutter-and-go double moves to uncover against linebackers. Above average speed and acceleration for his size. Creates leverage points against man coverage before breaking his routes off and pulling away. Moved all over the field. Was isolated for fade routes near endzone. Plus hand-eye coordination and shows ability to alter body positioning to improve catch-odds while ball-tracking.Trusted in pass protection. Sees twists and blitzes and responds to them. Needs work as run blocker but has desired frame of a Y-tight end.
Weaknesses
Physically overwhelmed a lower level of competition. Upper body is stiff and mechanical in his routes. Hasn't learned how to utilize hands to free himself against press. Gets jammed up in his release and can be knocked off the timing of his patterns. Will need to learn to adjust in space in order to maneuver past traffic. In need of his fair share of technique work as a run blocker. Ducks head into initial contact. Finds himself lunging and chasing when asked to climb to second level.
Sources Tell Us
"I watched him for two games and turned the tape off because I want to see him live in Indy before I develop any more of an opinion of him. I saw some things that has me very excited." - AFC pro personnel director
NFL Comparison
Vance McDonald
Bottom Line
Big, fast and athletic, Shaheen will immediately interest teams who are looking for size and traits. He's a poorer blocker than what might be expected for a player with his frame, but he's also a much more dangerous pass catching target. The jump in competition will be substantial and teams will expect him to become a more consistent blocker, but he's a pass catching tight end in a Y-tight end's body. Shaheen has starting potential with an ability to impact a passing game early in his career.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots have (2) 3rd round picks, (1) 4th Round pick (1) 5th round pick (1) 7th round pick

Considering what the Patriots have picked up in trades and free agency, I'd say the lack of a first and second and a sixth are not going to hurt them.

1st = Cooks a downfield speedster that Brady has not had since Randy Moss.
2nd = Ealy a solid DE who will easily replace Chris Long. Mike Gillislee solid RB who can spell James White and/or Lewis or just might be the #1 RB on this squad.

Dwayne Allen will replace Michael Bennett and there's a better than 50% chance BB will draft a TE for the future. Add to this a return of Rob Gronkowski and things just appear to be getting better and better.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think NE offers up a 3rd and next yrs 2nd to move back in the 2nd to grab a solid DE. If not, I can see BB double dipping in the 3rd at DE. That one Vet is going to be cut, and BB will be all over that.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone watch all 32 picks last night??

Did anyone do it without falling asleep at least once??