• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft - does BPA always make sense?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was on another DB last night and there was a lot of draft talk going on and most of it was centered around the 22nd pick. I heard names that you've all seen if you've paid any attention the early mocks...Vic Beasley, Trae Waynes, Dante Fowler, PJ Williams...etc.

One poster said the Steelers always pick BPA, he pointed to Shazier last year as an example and he expects that to be an OL or DL this year. Danny Shelton is his expected pick...I said that's doubtful.

Well...my retort to him was Shazier may have been a BPA, but there was some need there and had Justin Gilbert, or Kyle Fuller been on the board they would likely be a Steeler...even with that the Steelers have coveted a fast LB that could run with TEs and were not 100% certain Spence would make it all the way back...that made Shazier somewhat of a need.

I don't think PIT will reach on a OLB or CB @ 22, but I would be surprised to see them take a NT...fwiw I would like the pick, but I think there will be too many other positions of greater need on the board.

Your thoughts...didn't mean to start another draft thread...call this draft concept.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I agree with you ATL… Calling Shazier a BPA was, in a sense correct, but only because they needed a playmaker. Calling him (yes he was an OLB, but not drafted to be one) a BPA is definitely a stretch because, like you said, Spence was coming back from a huge injury making him a question mark, and V-Will was admirable but not a coveted product. Garvin was a STer and Moats wasn't brought in to be an ILB. So there were too many question marks at the position to not call it a position of need. They had just gotten rid of Foote, and let Sylvester walk so why not draft new blood? Spence coming back to great form was the unaccountable… He alone made it a "position of embarrassing riches" of sorts. Now that they have Spence they should seriously consider dealing an ILB in a trade. I personally would keep V-Will because he has the fire that I would look for if I was a coach. Not to say Spence doesn't, but if you've watched the games you would know what I'm talking about. Vince has a way of igniting his passion and "upping the ante" so-to-speak… Watch his latrobe fight last offseason if you don't believe me. In a sense, he would die for your team in battle. And that kind of competitor I would take to battle with me any day.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong...using Scouts rating system as a guide...@ 22 if there's a high 80 to low 90 rated OT on the board and the OLB or CB is in the 70s...the Steelers are probably going to take the OT...but if it's close I expect the need position to be picked this year.

It'll be interesting now to see if Butler is promoted...if not, it's a definite sign that we could see a 4-3 DEF in play next year. That would take the heat off the OLB position.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think the point is to not reach, ie they needed a receiver when they selected Troy Edwards, but he was not even close to BPA there, from what I remember.

Adanac

beer.....yes please!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
having a higher ranked player drop in the draft to fill a need is dangerous!

if the player is the highest ranked on the board AND fills a need, perfect...