• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft 2018

Who are we drafting at 19?

• Offense

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Defense

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still rather take BPA but I don't think Jerry can resist going for the shiny, flashy toy.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
logic says LB, S, DL in 1st 3 rounds but we're having to deal with JJ so we'll probably go WR, TE and WR

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we probably wind up taking a receiver at 19 now right?
If the right guy is there sure, but I pray we don't force it and end up regretting it for 5 years. our WRs aren't great of course, but I think if we can find a 5th starter on the OL (maybe Fleming) and Zeke stays healthy we will be fine on Offense. I think we may see a little more of the 2016 Offense for Dallas and Hurns may not be as good as Dez of course, but he sure can replace Dez's numbers from the past few years...

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got plenty of ammo to move up from 50 to get the better WRs. Now we could use a true outside guy like Sutton or St. Brown. Lot of talent and don't NEED to force WR at #19.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't find the post, but @PDay8810 idea about LB in the first, using the 2nd for Thomas and trading up to grab the best WR left keeps sticking with me and would be great for this team IMO. My thoughts on it:

Look at how much better this defense was last year with both Lee and Hitchens on the field together even with the other flaws we had. If you can find a guy to play as well as Hitchens (maybe better?) next to Lee you can roll the dice on Jaylon getting better or at worst you keep playing Wilson at SAM and most importantly the defense doesn't fall apart if Lee goes down. If you do this and Jaylon gains change of direction back and takes a huge leap forward you become elite at LB.

Adding Thomas to the secondary requires no explanation. We could really just play our best 4 around him in the nickel and not worry about who plays where as much as getting talent on the field - Awuzie, Lewis, Woods, Jones, Brown, maybe M White steps up or a draft pick...If these young guys keep stepping up (and they are all young guys) this could be a really good secondary with Thomas and actually I think they would be good "as is" even without Thomas, but he takes them to the next level and gives them the veteran presence that they lost with Scandrick.

Trading up for a WR. Again, really requires no explanation. I don't really assume year one production from anyone other than a top 20 pick, and I actually think we could be OK at WR as is. But adding talent there could help this team immensely. Personally I'd hope for OL here or in the first with LB here because I think those are the bigger holes. Not because we have less talent there, but because I think those holes can have a bigger negative impact on this team if not filled because of the way we are set up. But, WR would be great here both for the short term and the long term. If we hit on a stud we would be much better and much more dangerous than last year. If we could add a guy that has both speed and great ability it would be the perfect scenario.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my preference to the above though could be to sign Navarro Bowman and keep the 2nd round pick we would lose on Thomas and he'd cost a lot less. He wouldn't be a long term solution but he'd be a great two year option for us. Then we could use the top 3 picks in the draft to grab 3 contributors and we still have a bunch more picks to add talent. I think we have so many weaknesses that it wouldn't matter what position we find the BPA at.

Ideally we could wait until after the draft to decide what to do with the cap savings from Dez. It's only two weeks away so if the landscape remains unchanged it could work out perfectly for us and we would know what our biggest needs are after the draft. Plus if Seattle gets no bites on Thomas and can't agree on an extension maybe they trade him for a 2nd next year at some point. Third scenario we stand pat, grab some quality draft picks and use the savings next year to finally add a top free agent. All good scenarios that should help this team

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we probably wind up taking a receiver at 19 now right?
I don't think we have to do that at all. Plus if we do, the draft pick is going to be compared to Dez non-stop which will put a lot of pressure on a young kid. A lot of fans can't seem to let go of the past or see the big picture. It's going to be 'Dez had 5 catches this week and player "A" only had 2. The Jones' and Garrett are idiots.'

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we have to do that at all. Plus if we do, the draft pick is going to be compared to Dez non-stop which will put a lot of pressure on a young kid. A lot of fans can't seem to let go of the past or see the big picture. It's going to be 'Dez had 5 catches this week and player "A" only had 2. The Jones' and Garrett are idiots.'
I think the second guessing would only start if we lose tight games because we couldn't put the ball across the stripe. If Dak's completion % bounces back to 67-68 and we recapture that winning formula of 2016, no true Cowboys fan should be looking back down the road. Dez helped get us here, for that we thanked him.
If Jerry draft's a WR at 19, there will be pressure. Just have to hope he doesn't also get 88 hung in his locker. If that were to happen, your scenario above would be a certainty.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't find the post, but @PDay8810 idea about LB in the first, using the 2nd for Thomas and trading up to grab the best WR left keeps sticking with me and would be great for this team IMO. My thoughts on it:

Look at how much better this defense was last year with both Lee and Hitchens on the field together even with the other flaws we had. If you can find a guy to play as well as Hitchens (maybe better?) next to Lee you can roll the dice on Jaylon getting better or at worst you keep playing Wilson at SAM and most importantly the defense doesn't fall apart if Lee goes down. If you do this and Jaylon gains change of direction back and takes a huge leap forward you become elite at LB.

Adding Thomas to the secondary requires no explanation. We could really just play our best 4 around him in the nickel and not worry about who plays where as much as getting talent on the field - Awuzie, Lewis, Woods, Jones, Brown, maybe M White steps up or a draft pick...If these young guys keep stepping up (and they are all young guys) this could be a really good secondary with Thomas and actually I think they would be good "as is" even without Thomas, but he takes them to the next level and gives them the veteran presence that they lost with Scandrick.

Trading up for a WR. Again, really requires no explanation. I don't really assume year one production from anyone other than a top 20 pick, and I actually think we could be OK at WR as is. But adding talent there could help this team immensely. Personally I'd hope for OL here or in the first with LB here because I think those are the bigger holes. Not because we have less talent there, but because I think those holes can have a bigger negative impact on this team if not filled because of the way we are set up. But, WR would be great here both for the short term and the long term. If we hit on a stud we would be much better and much more dangerous than last year. If we could add a guy that has both speed and great ability it would be the perfect scenario.

Marcell Ateman - 2017

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still think the next move for the Cowboys is to get Zack Martin and Demarcus Lawrence signed to long term contract extensions. i'm thinking 5 years, $70.5M for Martin and 5 years $80.5M for Lawrence. that would free up $6+M for 2018, giving the Cowboys around $8+M in free money and allow the Cowboys to address other issues

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my preference to the above though could be to sign Navarro Bowman and keep the 2nd round pick we would lose on Thomas and he'd cost a lot less. He wouldn't be a long term solution but he'd be a great two year option for us. Then we could use the top 3 picks in the draft to grab 3 contributors and we still have a bunch more picks to add talent. I think we have so many weaknesses that it wouldn't matter what position we find the BPA at.

Ideally we could wait until after the draft to decide what to do with the cap savings from Dez. It's only two weeks away so if the landscape remains unchanged it could work out perfectly for us and we would know what our biggest needs are after the draft. Plus if Seattle gets no bites on Thomas and can't agree on an extension maybe they trade him for a 2nd next year at some point. Third scenario we stand pat, grab some quality draft picks and use the savings next year to finally add a top free agent. All good scenarios that should help this team
Signing bowman would surprise me. Bowman was an avid kneeler

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be against trading up into the top of the 2nd round to get a receiver like Sutton or Kirk. Both would be better tHan what we currently have. Let's use pick 19 on either CB,LB or OL

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be against trading up into the top of the 2nd round to get a receiver like Sutton or Kirk. Both would be better tHan what we currently have. Let's use pick 19 on either CB,LB or OL
if Esch and/or Evans are there at 19 the choice is obvious

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Esch and/or Evans are there at 19 the choice is obvious

I'm good with either of these two if McClay likes them. Seems like Dallas is very interested in Vander Esch, as they have had multiple visits with him including an "official 30" visit.

I would rather have Vita Vea over either of the LBers.

Dallas will have lots of intriguing choices at a few different positions on day 1. One of the team's needs and BPA seem like a good bet to align themselves.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with either of these two if McClay likes them. Seems like Dallas is very interested in Vander Esch, as they have had multiple visits with him including an "official 30" visit.

I would rather have Vita Vea over either of the LBers.

Dallas will have lots of intriguing choices at a few different positions on day 1. One of the team's needs and BPA seem like a good bet to align themselves.
a lot of scouts see Vea as only a 2-down player

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He may very well be. So might Evans and Vander Esch for that matter. Vea is going to be eating double teams, as long as he can get some push, he doesn't need to be a great pass rusher.

Damon Harrison is a two down player by most everyone's standards and look at the impact he has on games. Dallas needs the Dline to do a better job controlling the run, it's not just the LBers fault that the run defense goes to shit every time Lee is out. Long overdue for Dallas to make a concerted effort to address the 1T position.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may very well be. So might Evans and Vander Esch for that matter. Vea is going to be eating double teams, as long as he can get some push, he doesn't need to be a great pass rusher.

Damon Harrison is a two down player by most everyone's standards and look at the impact he has on games. Dallas needs the Dline to do a better job controlling the run, it's not just the LBers fault that the run defense goes to shit every time Lee is out. Long overdue for Dallas to make a concerted effort to address the 1T position.
I agree with you about the 1T position but with only 4 LB's (Lee, Smith, Wilson & Thomas) we need to address LB first

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why that would be. Seems like a perfect collapse the pocket as a 1 Tech guy to me and actually can shoot a gap and certainly bull rush. Penetration up the middle is one of his strengths isn't it? I think what makes him so valuable is the fact that he can play all 3 downs.