• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2017)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Arizona Fall League is underway. Actually started a couple of days ago.

Joan Gregorio started today, went 3 shutout innings, 2 H, 1 K.

D.J. Snelten followed him up with 2 shutout innings 0 H, 1 BB, 2 K.

Tyler Cyr pitched the last inning with no runs, 1 H, 1 K.

Chris Shaw started in LF, batting 4th. Went 0-2, with 3 walks, 1 K, and 1 run.
Not a bad showing...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants re-signed Jeff Arnold to a minor league deal. He should provide some depth at AA or AAA in 2018 at catcher.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's been officially announced yet but word on the lobby floor is the Giants have added an extended spring training team and another AZL team.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's been officially announced yet but word on the lobby floor is the Giants have added an extended spring training team and another AZL team.
Really? Are the advanced rookie leagues not of interest?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they were SHARING an AZL league team - they didn't provide the full roster.
Ahhhh....

So this would replace their participation with the Scorpions.

This will just be more PT for their select guys, not additional spots that need to be filled.

Gotcha...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they were SHARING an AZL league team - they didn't provide the full roster.
I haven't read any articles about this, but I usually interpret AZL to mean Arizona Rookie League. I didn't know this was referring to the Arizona Fall League.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read any articles about this, but I usually interpret AZL to mean Arizona Rookie League. I didn't know this was referring to the Arizona Fall League.

I haven't seen any links, but I think the additional rookie team will be AZL (short season), not the AFL.

The AFL is doing well, and they might expand with a couple more teams, but I doubt it.

When I saw the OP, I thought it was the AFL, and thought that was strange.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I'm referring to the Arizona Rookie League. They're adding a second team there. (side note, IDK why it's not the ARL, it's just called the AZL).

As to answer your initial question, it's cheaper to just add a second AZL team. The Pioneer league and Appalachian league have operating costs, ownership groups, business side. AZL teams don't.

This past season the Giants had too many players for one team. Evans was reportedly pushing for a second team for a couple years now. With a second team down in Arizona they're also able to have greater control over their guys and it's less of a hassle, everyone's just in one spot.

The Padres are the only team that has two AZL teams, but a number of teams have multiple Dominican League teams. The Astros, Cubs, D-Backs, Dodgers, Indians, Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Rangers, Reds and Rays all have two.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm referring to the Arizona Rookie League. They're adding a second team there. (side note, IDK why it's not the ARL, it's just called the AZL).

As to answer your initial question, it's cheaper to just add a second AZL team. The Pioneer league and Appalachian league have operating costs, ownership groups, business side. AZL teams don't.

This past season the Giants had too many players for one team. Evans was reportedly pushing for a second team for a couple years now. With a second team down in Arizona they're also able to have greater control over their guys and it's less of a hassle, everyone's just in one spot.

The Padres are the only team that has two AZL teams, but a number of teams have multiple Dominican League teams. The Astros, Cubs, D-Backs, Dodgers, Indians, Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Rangers, Reds and Rays all have two.
Their AZL team last year had enough to create two full teams. I understand cost and control but an advanced rookie squad would at least give some guys more of a challenge than the AZL but not quite the step that short A ball would be. Either way, cool to have another minor league team to follow (if it does happen).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their AZL team last year had enough to create two full teams. I understand cost and control but an advanced rookie squad would at least give some guys more of a challenge than the AZL but not quite the step that short A ball would be. Either way, cool to have another minor league team to follow (if it does happen).

Yeah, more work for SFGRTB and me to post all the info after games.....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, at least you'll not have to worry about it until mid June.

Good point.

But what's the point of not worrying now when I can milk it for such great attention? Or perhaps I can worry for the next seven months about not worrying about it until then. Or something.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

But what's the point of not worrying now when I can milk it for such great attention? Or perhaps I can worry for the next seven months about not worrying about it until then. Or something.
My bad. Worry away.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops - my bad.

The California league has a "each MLB team can only have one affiliate in the CaL" - I conclude that the AZL doesn't have that ...