• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2017)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yo:

No I have not heard officially, but my best guess is that they broke team rules. If it was PED suspensions, we probably would have heard by now. It seems like Augusta was overall a mess, to be honest I think it would be fair to pin a lot of this on the coaching staff. Overall Augusta had quite a bit of talent, but there seemed to be a lot of issues behind the scenes. Carlos Valderrama was only in his 2 year managing (1st in the US), Eddie Taubensee is brand new to the Giants organization, Clay Rapada was with Augusta last year, and Ydwin Villegas spent the last 2 years coaching in San Jose.

I'm keeping my eye out though. For what it's worth, Far fas is a great person, not someone I'd expect to get into trouble. Maybe the fact that he was demoted to Augusta two years in a row, and the poor record this year just started to wear on him. Don't know about Cabrera.
I do remember that, at one point this year, they had three or four players suspended. Between suspensions, restrictions and trips to the disabled list, Augusta has seen a lot of player movement. I don't know if it was more than normal, but it sure seemed like it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight the AZL Giants play the AZL Cubs in Scottsdale, with the teams reversing tomorrow in Mesa, than back to Scottsdale on Thursday.

Best of three series.
If the team wants to fit into the org culture, they'll watch the 2016 playoffs and have a bullpen meltdown in game 2.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The AZL Giants lost the first championship game last night at home, 10-4

The game was 2-2 until the 8th inning, when the Baby Cubs scored 5 runs. The Giants responded with one in the bottom of the 8th, but then the Cubs scored 3 more in the top of the 9th.

The Giants committed four errors, but none of them led to unearned runs.

Ismael Munguia 3-5, 2 runs
Jacob Gonzalez 3-5, run, 2 RBI
Aaron Bond 2-4

Jose Marte 6.0-2-1-1-1-9
Camilo Doval (BS, 1) 0.1-2-1-1-2-1
Olbis Parra (L, 0-1) 1.1-3-3-3-0-2
John Gavin 0.2-3-4-4-2-1
Frank Rubio 0.2-3-1-1-0-1

Inherited runners-scored: Parra, O 3-0; Gavin 3-3.

Game Story: Zinn delivers for Cubs in AZL Finals opener

Game Two is tonight at 7:00 at the Cubs new complex in Mesa. If the Giants lose, that's it. If they win, the deciding game will be tomorrow in Scottsdale.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZL Giants scored one in the top of the ninth to beat the AZL Cubs, 6-5

This means there will be a Game Three tomorrow at Scottsdale

Jacob Gonzalez 1-3, 2 runs, double, walk
Diego Rincones 1-3
Aaron Bond 0-3, run, RBI
Nathanael Javier 1-3, run, RBI
Kyle McPherson 1-3, run, 2 RBI
Jeffry Parra 1-2, RBI

Joey Marciano 0.2-2-2-2-2-1
Sidney Duprey 3.1-0-1-1-3-0
Weilly Yan (H, 1) 0.1-0-2-2-2-0
Miguel Figueroa (BS, 1)(W, 1-0) 3.2-2-0-0-1-2
John Russell (S, 1) 1.0-1-0-0-0-2

Inherited runners-scored: Duprey 2-0; Yan, W 1-0; Figueroa 3-3

Box Score: AZL Giants vs. AZL Cubs - September 6, 2017 | MiLB.com Box | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZL Giants scored one in the top of the ninth to beat the AZL Cubs, 6-5

This means there will be a Game Three tomorrow at Scottsdale

Jacob Gonzalez 1-3, 2 runs, double, walk
Diego Rincones 1-3
Aaron Bond 0-3, run, RBI
Nathanael Javier 1-3, run, RBI
Kyle McPherson 1-3, run, 2 RBI
Jeffry Parra 1-2, RBI

Joey Marciano 0.2-2-2-2-2-1
Sidney Duprey 3.1-0-1-1-3-0
Weilly Yan (H, 1) 0.1-0-2-2-2-0
Miguel Figueroa (BS, 1)(W, 1-0) 3.2-2-0-0-1-2
John Russell (S, 1) 1.0-1-0-0-0-2

Inherited runners-scored: Duprey 2-0; Yan, W 1-0; Figueroa 3-3

Box Score: AZL Giants vs. AZL Cubs - September 6, 2017 | MiLB.com Box | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
If a SP can't get a win if he doesn't go 4(how outdated is THAT rule), why can a reliever get a win if he also gets a BS?

State exhibit 694 in the case of the State vs the Win Statistic.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a SP can't get a win if he doesn't go 4(how outdated is THAT rule), why can a reliever get a win if he also gets a BS?

State exhibit 694 in the case of the State vs the Win Statistic.

Your honor, if it please the court...yes, it's true, my client did slightly transgress in hanging that curveball, leading to a double that drove in the tie run. But he went on to throw a virtuous following inning, not allowing any baserunners and indeed struck out one man. I do not believe, nay, I would argue society does not believe that he should be blamed for one regrettable error and denied his opportunity to be accorded the victory when his subsequent performance was sterling. For who among us has not hung the occasional metaphorical curveball? I urge you to pass summary judgment in favor of my client and dismiss these scurrilous charges against him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The AZL Giants were crushed in the CHampionship Game last night, 13-3.

The game was close for a while, until the Cubs scored 4 in the 6th and then 5 in the 9th to put the game away.

Congrats to the Cubs, but also to the AZL Giants for a great season. Their hitting was tremendous, the pitching less so. Lots of stud hitters coming through. Looking for Ramos, Gonzalez and Bond to move through the system quickly.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The AZL Giants were crushed in the CHampionship Game last night, 13-3.

The game was close for a while, until the Cubs scored 4 in the 6th and then 5 in the 9th to put the game away.

Congrats to the Cubs, but also to the AZL Giants for a great season. Their hitting was tremendous, the pitching less so. Lots of stud hitters coming through. Looking for Ramos, Gonzalez and Bond to move through the system quickly.
I would add Ismael Munguia to that list too. He slashed .331/.398/.458 as an 18 year old (only Ramos is younger than him amongst the names you listed). Diego Rincones is someone to watch as well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would add Ismael Munguia to that list too. He slashed .331/.398/.458 as an 18 year old (only Ramos is younger than him amongst the names you listed). Diego Rincones is someone to watch as well.

There's a lot of interesting guys coming out of the rookie leagues right now. In the DSL, look out for Franklin Labour and Alexander Canario. I think Labour has a shot to join Augusta next season, and Canario might repeat or jump to the AZL.

Norwith Gudino had excellent numbers, but it was his 3rd year and he's going to be 22 next season so not sure what to make of him. Marco Gonzalez is a soft-balling lefty, could make the jump to Augusta. And of course there's Gregory Santos, who we got in the Nunez trade.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of interesting guys coming out of the rookie leagues right now. In the DSL, look out for Franklin Labour and Alexander Canario. I think Labour has a shot to join Augusta next season, and Canario might repeat or jump to the AZL.

Norwith Gudino had excellent numbers, but it was his 3rd year and he's going to be 22 next season so not sure what to make of him. Marco Gonzalez is a soft-balling lefty, could make the jump to Augusta. And of course there's Gregory Santos, who we got in the Nunez trade.
The leap to Augusta seems huge. I thought most guys who move up from the DSL go to the AZL and, occasionally, jump to Salem-Keizer. I've assumed that putting them in short season ball in their US debut is to help them get comfortable in another culture. You think that these guys are really good enough to get thrown into full season ball?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The leap to Augusta seems huge. I thought most guys who move up from the DSL go to the AZL and, occasionally, jump to Salem-Keizer. I've assumed that putting them in short season ball in their US debut is to help them get comfortable in another culture. You think that these guys are really good enough to get thrown into full season ball?

You are right, it rarely happens. I don't think all of these guys jump, didn't mean to insinuate that, just a slight chance that Labour and Gonzalez might. The rest are probably ticketed for the AZL or a repeat.

It doesn't happen often, but some guys to make the leap. Francisco Peguero did (and was demoted to Salem half way through) in 2008. Manuel Geraldo another last year. I'm sure there are more, but those two came up off the top of my head.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stokes1931 , when do you want to start the 2018 version of this thread? There are few guys the Giants re-signed to minor league deals to prevent them from going the minor league free agent route but thought it would be best to post those names for next year's thread.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stokes1931 , when do you want to start the 2018 version of this thread? There are few guys the Giants re-signed to minor league deals to prevent them from going the minor league free agent route but thought it would be best to post those names for next year's thread.

Post them here for now.

Ian Gardeck, K.C. Hobson, and Caleb Gindl have been re-signed.

Gardeck is recovering from a second TJ. Was a hard thrower before his 2nd surgery in as many years. Turns 27 next month.

Hobson and Gindl were in AA last year. Gindl had a really nice overall season after being signed mid-year. Minor league vet.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post them here for now.

Ian Gardeck, K.C. Hobson, and Caleb Gindl have been re-signed.

Gardeck is recovering from a second TJ. Was a hard thrower before his 2nd surgery in as many years. Turns 27 next month.

Hobson and Gindl were in AA last year. Gindl had a really nice overall season after being signed mid-year. Minor league vet.
The Gindl transactions are really strange. The Giants released him somewhere in mid September. When that happened, I thought the Giants were really wanting him out of the org, guessing it to be some major character issue. After all, he would have been a minor league free agent in another month. This makes me wonder why the release. Did that trigger a more team friendly deal for 2018?

Oh, and the Giants also re-signed Carlos Diaz, Jose Dominguez (who did not pitch at all in 2017 and was listed as "restricted" all year in Sacramento) and Juan Ciriaco as well in the past month.

Diaz is an intriguing pitcher to me. He had an excellent year in 2015 with Augusta as a 21 year old, his first year as a reliever, and even got an end season promotion to Richmond, where he held his own. However, he got absolutely crushed in San Jose and then, after a demotion, at Salem-Keizer. But he turned in around this year at San Jose. He'll 24 when 2018 starts and hopefully will get a shot in Richmond.

Ciriaco is a veteran minor league middle infielder org filler. The Giants always seem to have a couple of these guys that they keep every year to assign to whichever farm team they can fit those guys in. He's mainly filled in at AAA the past 5 years but has also seen a lot of time at AA as well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Gindl transactions are really strange. The Giants released him somewhere in mid September. When that happened, I thought the Giants were really wanting him out of the org, guessing it to be some major character issue. After all, he would have been a minor league free agent in another month. This makes me wonder why the release. Did that trigger a more team friendly deal for 2018?

Oh, and the Giants also re-signed Carlos Diaz, Jose Dominguez (who did not pitch at all in 2017 and was listed as "restricted" all year in Sacramento) and Juan Ciriaco as well in the past month.

Diaz is an intriguing pitcher to me. He had an excellent year in 2015 with Augusta as a 21 year old, his first year as a reliever, and even got an end season promotion to Richmond, where he held his own. However, he got absolutely crushed in San Jose and then, after a demotion, at Salem-Keizer. But he turned in around this year at San Jose. He'll 24 when 2018 starts and hopefully will get a shot in Richmond.

Ciriaco is a veteran minor league middle infielder org filler. The Giants always seem to have a couple of these guys that they keep every year to assign to whichever farm team they can fit those guys in. He's mainly filled in at AAA the past 5 years but has also seen a lot of time at AA as well.

Yeah IDK about the Gindl deal, probably re-wrote the language or something.

Jose Dominguez was popped for PEDs at the beginning of the season for a 2nd time. Fantastic stuff, just needs to locate better. He's a guy to keep an eye on. In Spring Training last year, he was one of the later cuts.

I like Diaz too, he's got pretty solid stuff from what I've heard.

Ciriaco seems like a coach in training.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Arizona Fall League is underway. Actually started a couple of days ago.

Joan Gregorio started today, went 3 shutout innings, 2 H, 1 K.

D.J. Snelten followed him up with 2 shutout innings 0 H, 1 BB, 2 K.

Tyler Cyr pitched the last inning with no runs, 1 H, 1 K.

Chris Shaw started in LF, batting 4th. Went 0-2, with 3 walks, 1 K, and 1 run.