• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2017)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that this conversation may be a bit of rehash from an earlier one, but remember that the Giants typically have their affiliates carry 13 pitchers and its not unusual for them to carry 3 catchers as well. That leaves 9 to 10 spots for the infield and outfield. Typically, that means only 4 outfielders, unless the 5th one can handle the infield (such as Schroder).

There is always a number of players who aren't active but are still with the team, and can be activated whenever. I think up to 35 guys can be listed.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some minor league Spring Training stuff:

Dylan Davis has been working out at 3B this Spring. He's pretty lumbering out in RF, but he does have a very nice arm so this makes some sense. Early reports..... meh. The bat still looks great though.

Matt Krook has been working with the San Jose minor league team so far and he's done very well. Went 2 scoreless innings, 3 K's, 0 walks (that's big), 1 hit. Now, just because he was with the San Jose squad doesn't mean he's going to end up there, but it's a nice early indication. It would be very cool if he starts there.

Gustavo Carbera has also been with the San Jose squad. He has looked really good, hit a home run yesterday.

Miguel Gomez has been working at 2B a lot. The Giants are still trying to find a position for this guy. He started out as a catcher, then 3B, some 1B mixed in and a lot of DHing. His bat is legit (not much different from Sandoval), just needs to find a home defensively. He's been working with the AA squad.

Ryder Jones has been with the AAA squad and has been peppering in some work in the outfield.

Joneshway Fargas (Stokes favorite) has been working with the AA squad and has had a fast start (no pun intended, really). Again, just because guys are working with a certain team doesn't mean they're a lock for that squad, but it's an early indicator. I thought Fargas may have been ticketed back to SJ, Cabrera to Augusta and the 3 college guys to SJ, but it looks like the Giants might want to see Cabrera in San Jose, pushing Brusa to DH duties, with Quinn and Reynolds in the field and Fargas to AA. We'll see.

Skyler Ewing might be converting to catcher. He's a little known prospect, but he was drafted with a decent amount of hype. He came out of College in the 6th round in 2014 as a 1st baseman, but pre-draft evaluators mentioned he caught part time at Rice and could be looked at as a catcher. The Giants kept him at 1st base to develop him as a power bat, but that never really materialized so it seems like they've moved him to catching.

Sandro Fabian, Jacob Heyward and Malique Zeigler have been playing in the Augusta lineup. That could be a real fun outfield.

Kelvin Beltre has been with the San Jose team. He's my not so obvious breakout prospect. Could be a top 3B prospect next year. Ryan Howard and Jalen Miller have been working with the SJ group too. That's likely your infield, with Dobson at 1st.

Aramis Garcia, Shaw, Davis, Hinojosa, Gomez, Arenado, Jose Vizciano, Fargas, and Moncreif have all been working with the AA group.

Pitchers who have stood out early: Melvin Adon, Raffi Vizciano, Victor Conception, Connor Menez, Krook. The first three could all be ticketed for the Augusta rotation and would be the hardest throwing rotation in the system. The latter two could be in SJ.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The org signed another pitcher out of independent ball (its seems an annual tradition to do so). Dylan Rheault is a 6 ft 9 in righthander who was bounced out of the Orioles in 2015. Last year, he pitched primarily with Sioux City, posting a 1.787 WHIP in 32 relief appearances and 1 start. He has control issues and posted a dismal 4.8 K/9 in indy ball. He must have a killer fastball or devastating curve that the org hopes to harness. Otherwise, I'm not sure why they picked this guy up.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minor league rosters should be posted today or tomorrow. This is always one of my favorite times of the year, after speculating all offseason about the value of prospects, we get to see somewhat how the Giants value them as well.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to Beckham and Hernandez, the Giants released 6 minor league players. Three names stick out to me - Travious Relaford, Mitchell Delfino and Ricky Oropesa. Relaford had been suspended for illegal substances while both Delfino and Oropesa were once borderline prospects who both struggled in the upper minors. None are surprises but it makes official what farm system watches were probably expecting.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to Beckham and Hernandez, the Giants released 6 minor league players. Three names stick out to me - Travious Relaford, Mitchell Delfino and Ricky Oropesa. Relaford had been suspended for illegal substances while both Delfino and Oropesa were once borderline prospects who both struggled in the upper minors. None are surprises but it makes official what farm system watches were probably expecting.

Not surprised at all. I think Oropesa was expected to bring a power bat, but didn't. Excited to see some of the kids from San Jose this season. And a few RiverCat games.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised at all. I think Oropesa was expected to bring a power bat, but didn't. Excited to see some of the kids from San Jose this season. And a few RiverCat games.

Yeah both SJ and Sac should be a lot of fun this year. Still waiting on official rosters, but you should have many of the known prospects to watch.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AA roster:

C8bDZuvV0AAS5Pi.jpg:large

Starting rotation is likely Suarez-Coonrod-Slania-J.Johnson-Taylor-Gage. That's deep.

The bullpen is very deep too. I like this pitching a lot.

Potential lineup:

C-Winn
1B-Shaw
2B-Bednar
SS-Moreno
3B-Bennett
LF-Horan
CF-Heathcott
RF-Cole
DH-Gomez

Gomez, Bednar, and Bennett are interchangeable. C.J Hinojosa must be injured, once he's healthy I imagine he'll be the starting SS.

This isn't the most interesting I think, but the pitching might be one of the strongest. Lots of high level prospects here.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A+ roster:

C8bRgIVUAAAHnmU.jpg:large

Starting rotation is likely McCasland-Krook(!!)-Menez-Reyes-Connolly-Slatton. Matt Krook is definitely the headliner here. Aggressive promotion, some of the best stuff in the farm system. Menez is the other name to watch.

Bullpen..... yikes. Smith is the guy to watch.

Possible lineup:

C-Garcia
1B-Arenado
2B-Miller
SS-Howard
3B-Vizciano
LF-Fargas
CF-Reynolds
RF-Brusa
DH-Dobson

Heath Quinn must be hurt as well, or else I would expect to see him here. I'm not too thrilled about this team. Fun outfield, Miller was aggressive but the Cal League could get him on track, Howard could open some eyes (next Duffy), and Garcia might not be here long. I'm most disappointed that Kelvin Beltre didn't make this team. Maybe in the summer.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A roster:

Pitchers:

Melvin Adon
Cameron Avila-Leeper
Caleb Baragar
Alex Bostic
Jeff Burke
Sandro Cabrera

Domenic Mazza
Jose Morel
D.J. Myers

Matt Pope
Nolan Riggs
Patrick Ruotolo
Matt Solter
Stephen Woods
Cesar Yanez

Catchers:

Will Albertson
Zack Bowers
Skyler Ewing

Infielders:

Kelvin Beltre
Tyler Brown
Manuel Geraldo
Ryan Kirby
Kevin Rivera
Brandon Van Horn

Outfielders:

Shawn Dunston Jr.
Sandro Fabian
Ashford Fulmer
Jacob Heyward
Anthony Marks

Starting rotation is likely Adon, Woods, Bostic, Baragar, Mazza, Myers. Somewhat disappointed not to see Garrett Williams, Raffi Vizciano and Victor Conception. I wonder what's up with them. But add those 3 to Adon and Woods and you have a NASTY rotation. I'll try to see what's up.

Bullpen... tough to say how it will turn out. I don't recognize many names.

Possible lineup:

C-Ewing (the rumors were true)
1B-Kirby
2B-Rivera
SS-Brown
3B-Beltre
LF-Heyward(!)
CF-Fulmer(!)
RF-Fabian(!!!)
DH-beats me

Beltre-Fabian-Heyward-Fulmer-Rivera is a potent lineup. Keep an eye on these lesser-known kids.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No AAA roster yet, will update when I see it.

A few guys that are noticeably absent:

Heath Quinn, Dylan Davis, C.J Hinojosa, Garrett Williams, Raffi Vizciano, Victor Conception.

I'll bet Quinn and Hinojosa are hurt, Davis is staying in extended ST to work at 3B more (or is hurt), and Williams, Vizciano and Conception are staying in extended ST to work on some things, or are hurt.

I'd except Hinojosa and Davis to head to AA when they are ready, Quinn on A+, and the 3 pitchers to A or Short season ball.

I think Steven Duggar is going to be in AAA, but if he's not on the roster than he's probably hurt too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A roster:

Pitchers:

Melvin Adon
Cameron Avila-Leeper
Caleb Baragar
Alex Bostic
Jeff Burke
Sandro Cabrera

Domenic Mazza
Jose Morel
D.J. Myers

Matt Pope
Nolan Riggs
Patrick Ruotolo
Matt Solter
Stephen Woods
Cesar Yanez

Catchers:

Will Albertson
Zack Bowers
Skyler Ewing

Infielders:

Kelvin Beltre
Tyler Brown
Manuel Geraldo
Ryan Kirby
Kevin Rivera
Brandon Van Horn

Outfielders:

Shawn Dunston Jr.
Sandro Fabian
Ashford Fulmer
Jacob Heyward
Anthony Marks

Starting rotation is likely Adon, Woods, Bostic, Baragar, Mazza, Myers. Somewhat disappointed not to see Garrett Williams, Raffi Vizciano and Victor Conception. I wonder what's up with them. But add those 3 to Adon and Woods and you have a NASTY rotation. I'll try to see what's up.

Bullpen... tough to say how it will turn out. I don't recognize many names.

Possible lineup:

C-Ewing (the rumors were true)
1B-Kirby
2B-Rivera
SS-Brown
3B-Beltre
LF-Heyward(!)
CF-Fulmer(!)
RF-Fabian(!!!)
DH-beats me

Beltre-Fabian-Heyward-Fulmer-Rivera is a potent lineup. Keep an eye on these lesser-known kids.

This team has more "Sandro's" than any other team in history, I'll wager.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A+ roster:

C8bRgIVUAAAHnmU.jpg:large

Starting rotation is likely McCasland-Krook(!!)-Menez-Reyes-Connolly-Slatton. Matt Krook is definitely the headliner here. Aggressive promotion, some of the best stuff in the farm system. Menez is the other name to watch.

Bullpen..... yikes. Smith is the guy to watch.

Possible lineup:

C-Garcia
1B-Arenado
2B-Miller
SS-Howard
3B-Vizciano
LF-Fargas
CF-Reynolds
RF-Brusa
DH-Dobson

Heath Quinn must be hurt as well, or else I would expect to see him here. I'm not too thrilled about this team. Fun outfield, Miller was aggressive but the Cal League could get him on track, Howard could open some eyes (next Duffy), and Garcia might not be here long. I'm most disappointed that Kelvin Beltre didn't make this team. Maybe in the summer.

I don't expect Garcia nor Reynolds to be here long. Garcia was hurt most of last year, and his BA was low in the AFL, but he was an RBI machine there.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect Garcia nor Reynolds to be here long. Garcia was hurt most of last year, and his BA was low in the AFL, but he was an RBI machine there.

Yeah I thought there was an outside chance Garcia started in AA, but they decided to go with the organizational guys to start the year and handle that really good pitching staff.

Yeah San Jose could be a completely different team by June, much like last year.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No AAA roster yet, will update when I see it.

A few guys that are noticeably absent:

Heath Quinn, Dylan Davis, C.J Hinojosa, Garrett Williams, Raffi Vizciano, Victor Conception.

I'll bet Quinn and Hinojosa are hurt, Davis is staying in extended ST to work at 3B more (or is hurt), and Williams, Vizciano and Conception are staying in extended ST to work on some things, or are hurt.

I'd except Hinojosa and Davis to head to AA when they are ready, Quinn on A+, and the 3 pitchers to A or Short season ball.

I think Steven Duggar is going to be in AAA, but if he's not on the roster than he's probably hurt too.

I forgot to mention Gustavo Cabrera is noticeably absent as well. Hopefully he's alright.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AA roster:

C8bDZuvV0AAS5Pi.jpg:large

Starting rotation is likely Suarez-Coonrod-Slania-J.Johnson-Taylor-Gage. That's deep.

The bullpen is very deep too. I like this pitching a lot.

Potential lineup:

C-Winn
1B-Shaw
2B-Bednar
SS-Moreno
3B-Bennett
LF-Horan
CF-Heathcott
RF-Cole
DH-Gomez

Gomez, Bednar, and Bennett are interchangeable. C.J Hinojosa must be injured, once he's healthy I imagine he'll be the starting SS.

This isn't the most interesting I think, but the pitching might be one of the strongest. Lots of high level prospects here.

They're allowed 29 on the active roster in AA? Or are some of these guys on the DL?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're allowed 29 on the active roster in AA? Or are some of these guys on the DL?

25 active players, but there are usually a number of players on reserve who can be activated on a game to game basis.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

25 active players, but there are usually a number of players on reserve who can be activated on a game to game basis.
My understanding is that the rosters do get tweaked a bit from when they are first released until the teams' opening games. A few more names will appear, guys will get added to the dl and some will be shuffled to other rosters. There a few guys put on reserve from time to time but I don't think its as common as you think. Typically, when I see that, its one or two guys and its to make room for new guys on the roster until the org can make a decision on who to move to another team, dl or release.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AAA roster:

C8gaM6-W0AIdzn0.jpg:large

Probable rotation: Beede-Blackburn-Gregorio-Suarez-Stratton-Crick. Deep group, coupled with the AA group.... Wow.

Bullpen looks pretty deep as well, tons of lefties. It's very possible Gregorio joins this group. Ryan Webb was just signed today.

Possible lineup:

C-FedX
1B-Jones
2B-Tomlinson
SS-Arroyo
3B-Hwang
LF-Slater
CF-Bernard
RF-Ruggiano
DH-Blanks

This is a deep lineup, and an ever-changing one. I predict there won't be the same defense out there game to game once all year. Arroyo will see time at SS, 3B, 2B and maybe LF. Tomlinson will see time at 2B, SS, and LF. Hwang will see time at 3B, LF and 1B. Ryder Jones will see time at 1B, 3B and LF. Calixte will see time in CF, LF, RF, SS, 2B, and 3B. Bernard will play all 3 OF spots. Ali Castillo was one of the best defenders on the roster last year, he'll see time at 2B and SS.

So there we have it.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to mention Gustavo Cabrera is noticeably absent as well. Hopefully he's alright.

So to add to Hinojosa, Quinn, Davis, Cabrera, Williams, Conception and Vizciano, Steven Duggar is also very noticeably absent.

Heath Quinn has a hamate bone injury. Duggar has a flexor strain.