• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2016)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case anyone is interested, Vin Mazzaro, Ramiro Pena and Ruben Tejada elected minor league free agency last week.

This from Baseball America:

"Those players who elect free agency, meanwhile, are those who have earned that right after their contracts are assigned outright to a minor league club. Typically they qualify under Article XX(D) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which grants the right to elect free agency to:

• “Any player who has at least three years of major league service . . .”

• “Any player whose contract is assigned outright to a minor league club for the second time or any subsequent time in his career . . .”

A player eligible to elect free agency under these conditions does not have to exercise that right immediately following an in-season outright assignment. He retains the right to elect free agency until Oct. 15 unless he is “returned to a major league roster prior to making such election.”

Occasionally a player will qualify for free agency following an outright assignment under Article XIXA(2), which states that players with “five or more years of major league service . . . shall not be assigned otherwise than to another major league club, without the player’s written consent.” This clause covers the following players in this installment: Roberto Hernandez, Don Kelly, James Russell, Brendan Ryan and Ruben Tejada.

Read more at Minor League Transactions: Oct. 1-7 | BaseballAmerica.com"

San Francisco Giants

Signed: RHP Luis Moreno, RHP Kamakani Usui (Laredo (American Association)) [This says Moreno is a pitcher, but the only Luis Moreno I can find on MiLB is a LF] Both puzzling moves.

Oscar Moreno Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Kamakani Usui Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Elected free agency: RHP Vin Mazzaro, SS Ramiro Pena, SS Ruben Tejada

Recalled: RHP Clayton Blackburn, RHP Kyle Crick, RHP Joan Gregorio, RHP Chris Stratton

Removed from 40-man: LHP Matt Reynolds (outrighted to Triple-A)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco Giants

Signed: RHP Luis Moreno, RHP Kamakani Usui (Laredo (American Association)) [This says Moreno is a pitcher, but the only Luis Moreno I can find on MiLB is a LF] Both puzzling moves.

Oscar Moreno Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Kamakani Usui Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Elected free agency: RHP Vin Mazzaro, SS Ramiro Pena, SS Ruben Tejada

Recalled: RHP Clayton Blackburn, RHP Kyle Crick, RHP Joan Gregorio, RHP Chris Stratton

Removed from 40-man: LHP Matt Reynolds (outrighted to Triple-A)
My guess is Luis Moreno is an amateur free agent from somewhere like the Dominican but I have no sources for that.

The signing of Usui is typical of the organization. They usually dip in to the independent leagues a couple of times a year for a pitcher or two. Those guys don't usually pan out.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice little write up on speculation of the 2017 Augusta roster - Previewing the 2017 Augusta Greenjackets.

I noticed a couple of websites cited on this article that may be of interest for those of us who geek out on the farm system.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice little write up on speculation of the 2017 Augusta roster - Previewing the 2017 Augusta Greenjackets.

I noticed a couple of websites cited on this article that may be of interest for those of us who geek out on the farm system.

I'm really excited about Fabian. This will be his first taste of full-season ball. He's a true impact talent. Hopefully he can be the one to finally break the international trend we've been on.

Krook is another guy I'll look forward to. Any pitcher that has a plus-plus fastball and plus-plus curveball has a chance to be really special. There aren't many pitchers who have that. His command is at Crick levels though, so it's hard to get too excited yet.

I think Jalen Miller will move to San Jose.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really excited about Fabian. This will be his first taste of full-season ball. He's a true impact talent. Hopefully he can be the one to finally break the international trend we've been on.

Krook is another guy I'll look forward to. Any pitcher that has a plus-plus fastball and plus-plus curveball has a chance to be really special. There aren't many pitchers who have that. His command is at Crick levels though, so it's hard to get too excited yet.

I think Jalen Miller will move to San Jose.
I'm interested to see how Melvin Adon does, in terms of harnessing that fastball. If he get get better control, he should shoot up the farm system ladder.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see how Melvin Adon does, in terms of harnessing that fastball. If he get get better control, he should shoot up the farm system ladder.

Yeah I mean 100 is 100, and he holds his velocity throughout the game. He was skipped over for 3 or 4 international signing cycles before finally signing with the Giants in 2015. When he started 2015 he was low-mid 90s, and by the start of his 2016 season he was consistently hitting 100. He was the big talk of the Giants minor league fall camp this October too, still hitting 100 with late life. Definitely another guy to keep an eye on. He won't appear on many (any?) top prospect lists next year, but he's a sleeper.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The GreenJackets (our low single A affiliate) is looking to move to South Carolina and build a new ballpark that somewhat emulates its parents club's.

Reactions: LHG

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Folks, it's not as big of a move as one would think. The team is moving from AUGUSTA, GA to a new ballpark in NORTH AUGUSTA, SC. They are basically moving to the other side of the urban area, as few miles away.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Folks, it's not as big of a move as one would think. The team is moving from AUGUSTA, GA to a new ballpark in NORTH AUGUSTA, SC. They are basically moving to the other side of the urban area, as few miles away.

If you Google Map it, the new site appears to be right across the Savannah River.