• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't see much controversy here

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you're in a bunker you have to be careful. I don't think she realized she grounded it but she knew she was walking the line. 20 years ago she probably gets away with it but that isn't the game of golf anymore. When I'm in the bunker I don't get the club within a half inch of the sand before my swing. She got sloppy and paid the price. Jack said one of the reasons he hovered the club is to avoid penalties. He doesn't mention bunkers but it's basically the same train of thought.

JACK NICKLAUS: Throughout my career, a lot has been said and written about my not resting the clubhead on the ground behind the ball. I often would sole it lightly, but there were times when I didn't ground it at all, mostly with an iron or fairway wood when I thought it might cause the ball to move. Or with my putter on windy days. You never want the ball to change position while addressing it--golf is hard enough without incurring penalty strokes.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you're in a bunker you have to be careful. I don't think she realized she grounded it but she knew she was walking the line. 20 years ago she probably gets away with it but that isn't the game of golf anymore. When I'm in the bunker I don't get the club within a half inch of the sand before my swing. She got sloppy and paid the price. Jack said one of the reasons he hovered the club is to avoid penalties. He doesn't mention bunkers but it's basically the same train of thought.

JACK NICKLAUS: Throughout my career, a lot has been said and written about my not resting the clubhead on the ground behind the ball. I often would sole it lightly, but there were times when I didn't ground it at all, mostly with an iron or fairway wood when I thought it might cause the ball to move. Or with my putter on windy days. You never want the ball to change position while addressing it--golf is hard enough without incurring penalty strokes.

No controversy at all here.

She was hitting a 5i out of there and wanted to get as close as she could to make solid contact...unfortunately, she soled it ever so slightly, 2-stroke penalty.

Interesting...the cameraman picked up on it live apparently and he was the one who told the truck to take a closer look at it and Fox brought in the USGA thereafter.

Even though it was a little unfortunate they didn't get to Nordqvist until after she made her approach on 18. It would've been interesting to see just how brave she would've been, knowing she was down 2 shots...that was a death pin.

IMO, the result was most likely going to be the same...par was good enough for Lang and with wedge in hand, no need for her to hunt that flag.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the rule and I agree with it. But isn't this something that really should be "called" WHEN it actually happens and IF and ONLY IF there is question of it happening then going to the "camera?"

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the rule and I agree with it. But isn't this something that really should be "called" WHEN it actually happens and IF and ONLY IF there is question of it happening then going to the "camera?"

My issue is I'm sure it happened to other players during the 4 rounds because balls woud sink down in the sand just a tad...but because they were not in contention with a hi def camera following them around...it didn't happen.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue is I'm sure it happened to other players during the 4 rounds because balls woud sink down in the sand just a tad...but because they were not in contention with a hi def camera following them around...it didn't happen.

excellent point... I am sure the last place group could pretty much get away with anything