• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dolphins acquire Julius Thomas

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fins have acquired Julius Thomas from the Jags for a draft pick - end essentially Branden Albert who will eventually be let go and sign with the Jags tomorrow from what is being reported.

Prior to being in Jax and getting hurt, Julius was a quality TE with the Broncos while Adam Gase was the OC.

He will be 29 once the season starts.

As I said, he is/was a quality TE before getting injured and arriving in Jax. But will be 29 once the season starts - so there is as much upside as there is downside in this move.

I both like and dislike it for said reasons. I was hoping, and still am hoping we acquire a TE in the draft - though unfortunately this move probably takes us out of the running for the top TEs available such as former Cane David Njoku and former Alabama TE OJ Howard.

I know this will be unpopular given the draft wishlist for most in here consisting of OL and defensive picks. But, I am hopeful we can still acquire one of these two with our first/ or other early round picks if available.

These are CANT MISS TEs and AG will need them in his offense. And with JT entering the mid-to-late portion of his playing days at that position - it would be nice to have someone we could groom for the future.

That said, I still believe in Dion Sims - and somewhat in Gray but the other two are just special.

Either way, good to see the Fins continuing to improve the team in every way possible. Its only just starting

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fins have acquired Julius Thomas from the Jags for a draft pick - end essentially Branden Albert who will eventually be let go and sign with the Jags tomorrow from what is being reported.

Prior to being in Jax and getting hurt, Julius was a quality TE with the Broncos while Adam Gase was the OC.

He will be 29 once the season starts.

As I said, he is/was a quality TE before getting injured and arriving in Jax. But will be 29 once the season starts - so there is as much upside as there is downside in this move.

I both like and dislike it for said reasons. I was hoping, and still am hoping we acquire a TE in the draft - though unfortunately this move probably takes us out of the running for the top TEs available such as former Cane David Njoku and former Alabama TE OJ Howard.

I know this will be unpopular given the draft wishlist for most in here consisting of OL and defensive picks. But, I am hopeful we can still acquire one of these two with our first/ or other early round picks if available.

These are CANT MISS TEs and AG will need them in his offense. And with JT entering the mid-to-late portion of his playing days at that position - it would be nice to have someone we could groom for the future.

That said, I still believe in Dion Sims - and somewhat in Gray but the other two are just special.

Either way, good to see the Fins continuing to improve the team in every way possible. Its only just starting
Mr. Glass.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7th rounder for a guy on the right side of 30 who agreed to a pay cut to play with the coach who called the plays when he broke out? I do that deal any day.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the post, Calm -- that better explains the trade/signings made between the two teams.

I think both teams, in their own way, will come out winners of this trade. It was pretty even.

I expect another trade or two made by the Fins before the draft. Hopefully we can work another one out where we can acquire an actual player instead of just draft picks.

Very aggressive Fins so far

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the addition of J Thomas. He will have familiarity with Gase and his system. Also Thomas has proven production. It gives the team flexibility by adding a quality starting TE before the draft.

Jimmy G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the terrible memory (I have a bad case of CRS), but why did the Dolphins lose/get rid of Charles Clay a couple of years ago?

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the terrible memory (I have a bad case of CRS), but why did the Dolphins lose/get rid of Charles Clay a couple of years ago?

I think that decision was all about $$. The Bills offered to pay him more.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bronco fans still love that he left. He has huge talent don't get me wrong but he is a me first player. Even the slightest injury and he will sit out 4-weeks. He is about the money not the team. Then throw in his dad is a hot head that gets into it with fans on social media

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bronco fans still love that he left. He has huge talent don't get me wrong but he is a me first player. Even the slightest injury and he will sit out 4-weeks. He is about the money not the team. Then throw in his dad is a hot head that gets into it with fans on social media

As fans we might not always like it, (we rarely do actually) when a player leaves for more money, but it would have been silly for Thomas to stay in DEN for the money he was offered in JAX...they overpaid.

The real question for MIA is can they get the production out of him that he had in DEN....For his kind of cap hit, they really have to get that type production. If they don't, it's kind of like a new car...JAX has taken most all of the depreciation. It seems like MIA can cut bait and not hurt themselves much as his dead money figure drops to nothing next year.

Calm

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As fans we might not always like it, (we rarely do actually) when a player leaves for more money, but it would have been silly for Thomas to stay in DEN for the money he was offered in JAX...they overpaid.

The real question for MIA is can they get the production out of him that he had in DEN....For his kind of cap hit, they really have to get that type production. If they don't, it's kind of like a new car...JAX has taken most all of the depreciation. It seems like MIA can cut bait and not hurt themselves much as his dead money figure drops to nothing next year.

We still don't know exactly what that will be though. His deal is being restructured.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still don't know exactly what that will be though. His deal is being restructured.

It obviously will go down creating a little more cap space, but it also means they are anchoring down with this guy so good production still has to be a high priority.

Calm

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It obviously will go down creating a little more cap space, but it also means they are anchoring down with this guy so good production still has to be a high priority.

Of course. And like I said, we'll have to see what the restructured deal looks like, but it sounds like a low risk move.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. And like I said, we'll have to see what the restructured deal looks like, but it sounds like a low risk move.

You're right on the restructure deal...if they get too aggressive it could actually cost them a good deal more in guaranteed money.

As it stands now, they basically have a 1 yr deal for $7.1mil.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See it wasn't about the money. He was one of those players I was hoping would leave for the big money. There are players I have hoped the Broncos would keep like Trevathan and Malik this past off season. I hated to see them go but understood they had a great opportunity to take care of their families for years to come. JT though was the exact type of player I wanted off the team. He was selfish, about the money only, took entire games off if he didn't feel like playing, and was a cancer in the locker room. There were players who actually called him out publicly.

Now that doesn't mean he isn't talented. When he plays and is on his game he is one of the more unstoppable receiving threats in the NFL. He was a big part of helping Manning set the all-time touchdown record for a season. His 7-game stretch in 2013 was something to watch with 8 touchdowns in just 7 games. And that happened with Gase as his coach so maybe he can get him motivated to return to that form. I just have a feeling that he will do what he has always done of have a few good games that give some fans some hope then sit out the rest of the year with a paper cut.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See it wasn't about the money. He was one of those players I was hoping would leave for the big money. There are players I have hoped the Broncos would keep like Trevathan and Malik this past off season. I hated to see them go but understood they had a great opportunity to take care of their families for years to come. JT though was the exact type of player I wanted off the team. He was selfish, about the money only, took entire games off if he didn't feel like playing, and was a cancer in the locker room. There were players who actually called him out publicly.

Now that doesn't mean he isn't talented. When he plays and is on his game he is one of the more unstoppable receiving threats in the NFL. He was a big part of helping Manning set the all-time touchdown record for a season. His 7-game stretch in 2013 was something to watch with 8 touchdowns in just 7 games. And that happened with Gase as his coach so maybe he can get him motivated to return to that form. I just have a feeling that he will do what he has always done of have a few good games that give some fans some hope then sit out the rest of the year with a paper cut.

I get it...you and probably other knowledgeable Bronco fans saw through his BS, but I think for JT it was about the money. Reminds me of the Mike Wallace situation in PIT.

Given the unstable situation at QB, I think DEN did well to let him cash out somewhere else...but fans in general are never happy to see talent leave.

He seems like a guy that would flourish with a seasoned QB like Manning...Tannehill is not exactly a top shelf QB, but he's adequate, we'll have to see what he does on his 3rd team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it...you and probably other knowledgeable Bronco fans saw through his BS, but I think for JT it was about the money. Reminds me of the Mike Wallace situation in PIT.

Given the unstable situation at QB, I think DEN did well to let him cash out somewhere else...but fans in general are never happy to see talent leave.

He seems like a guy that would flourish with a seasoned QB like Manning...Tannehill is not exactly a top shelf QB, but he's adequate, we'll have to see what he does on his 3rd team.

He does fine when actually on the field. That was never really the issue even in Jacksonville he made some plays with Bortles at the helm. Like I said it is a matter of him getting a paper cut and going on IR. He is not going to sacrifice himself for the team.

And honestly I think even before he left most Bronco fans were ok with it. He was coming off finishing up his final season in Denver having only 65 yards receiving on the final 7 games and 0 touchdowns. He sat out when it was very public that team doctors and even neutral doctors that he went to see told him he was good to play but he decided to sit on the bench. He pretty much told the team that he didn't want to risk injury before he made it to FA so was just going to skip the 2nd half of the season. When you are in a championship window and one of your best weapons decides just to phone it in it doesn't exactly win over the fans.

Throw in most fans were excited by the idea of getting a Comp pick for him. We haven't gotten many of those in our team's history so getting a 3rd round comp pick was a nice bonus for a player at least most Denver fans were happy to let walk out the door.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does fine when actually on the field. That was never really the issue even in Jacksonville he made some plays with Bortles at the helm. Like I said it is a matter of him getting a paper cut and going on IR. He is not going to sacrifice himself for the team.

And honestly I think even before he left most Bronco fans were ok with it. He was coming off finishing up his final season in Denver having only 65 yards receiving on the final 7 games and 0 touchdowns. He sat out when it was very public that team doctors and even neutral doctors that he went to see told him he was good to play but he decided to sit on the bench. He pretty much told the team that he didn't want to risk injury before he made it to FA so was just going to skip the 2nd half of the season. When you are in a championship window and one of your best weapons decides just to phone it in it doesn't exactly win over the fans.

Throw in most fans were excited by the idea of getting a Comp pick for him. We haven't gotten many of those in our team's history so getting a 3rd round comp pick was a nice bonus for a player at least most Denver fans were happy to let walk out the door.

When you have his kind of talent, you're normally not playing on your 3rd team in 4 yrs. Injuries, no injuries, he's got to produce in MIA.

IMO they could be making a mistake restructuring him with his injury history....they could be locking themselves into several million dollars with this guy.

On the positive, maybe he's just had buzzard's luck...Sanders was very injury prone in PIT...not so much in DEN.

For Dolphin fans, hopefully he can stay on the field.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have his kind of talent, you're normally not playing on your 3rd team in 4 yrs. Injuries, no injuries, he's got to produce in MIA.

IMO they could be making a mistake restructuring him with his injury history....they could be locking themselves into several million dollars with this guy.

On the positive, maybe he's just had buzzard's luck...Sanders was very injury prone in PIT...not so much in DEN.

For Dolphin fans, hopefully he can stay on the field.

Yeah as other Dolphin fans have said just have to wait and see the contract. I wouldn't go anything above $4 million for the guy at this point. He needs to be on a prove it deal that maybe has incentives tied into his pay. Starts 16 games and gets another $3 million or something like that.

And you are right his kind of talent doesn't usually get pushed around the league like this. Just shows his issues go beyond just injury but I do think he becomes quite the locker room cancer. Or at least when in Denver players felt like he thought he was better than everybody else and really isolated himself. They would try to reach out to him and he would just push them away. Throw in then you have to deal with his dad being very public that his son gets treated unfairly by fans and organizations. We've seen players revive their career later than this before so maybe things work out. I hope so as I really do like Gase as a coach. I was hoping he would stick around in Denver long enough to become our HC. Glad he has found some early success in Miami.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah as other Dolphin fans have said just have to wait and see the contract. I wouldn't go anything above $4 million for the guy at this point. He needs to be on a prove it deal that maybe has incentives tied into his pay. Starts 16 games and gets another $3 million or something like that.

And you are right his kind of talent doesn't usually get pushed around the league like this. Just shows his issues go beyond just injury but I do think he becomes quite the locker room cancer. Or at least when in Denver players felt like he thought he was better than everybody else and really isolated himself. They would try to reach out to him and he would just push them away. Throw in then you have to deal with his dad being very public that his son gets treated unfairly by fans and organizations. We've seen players revive their career later than this before so maybe things work out. I hope so as I really do like Gase as a coach. I was hoping he would stick around in Denver long enough to become our HC. Glad he has found some early success in Miami.

Under his JAX deal he's due 7.1, 8.5, and 9.0 mil over the next 3 seasons. I think it's pretty safe to say he's not going to agree to an outright pay cut. In order to get his cap hit down they most likely will have to add yrs and not add money, but guarantee the majority of the money.

As it stands now, they can let him play for the 7.1mil this year and if it works out, next year look at a restructure with maybe a little bit of new money over about 3 more yrs. Or cut bait next season if he's not producing and have no dead money.

It sounds like they were going to cut ties with Albert so it's not a bad deal to pick up this level of talent...now they just need to make it work.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under his JAX deal he's due 7.1, 8.5, and 9.0 mil over the next 3 seasons. I think it's pretty safe to say he's not going to agree to an outright pay cut. In order to get his cap hit down they most likely will have to add yrs and not add money, but guarantee the majority of the money.

As it stands now, they can let him play for the 7.1mil this year and if it works out, next year look at a restructure with maybe a little bit of new money over about 3 more yrs. Or cut bait next season if he's not producing and have no dead money.

It sounds like they were going to cut ties with Albert so it's not a bad deal to pick up this level of talent...now they just need to make it work.
Agreed and by the sounds of it they may try dropping the cap number this year instead of waiting. I don't have a problem with this if Gase feels good about it he knows him better than we do. Perhaps he's matured as well.

Overall if anything fills a need and they also have an opportunity to get younger on the oline by moving BA. Need to sign one G in FA hopefully a good one and all of this will look great. They can then focus on the D it needs more help than the offence right now...