• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does the VT game mean as much...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... to the kids facing each other next Sunday as it does to the fans who will be there in the stadium?

IMO, I don't believe the game will be as emotional for WVU's players as let's say the OU game at season's end. The last time a game vs. VT was played... 2005. 12 fucking years ago. Just one year removed from when the traitor school left the BE for the ACC. Last year, WVU went up against another old BE rival... Miami. While the Miami game was never on par with VT... mostly due to Miami kicking our ass every single year, I didn't see any of the WVU players displaying extra juice for the game.

WVU went out and got its ass kicked by a stronger... more talented... Hurricane team.

Current WVU players were 6-10 years old the last time these two teams played.

Will the coaching staff attempt to teach the WVU players what this rivalry means to WVU fans? There are two coaches on the WVU staff with any history with this game.

IMO, it's a big game for both schools. But, it won't have the emotional build up for the players that it used to have. And, that is kind of sad.

Me on the other hand... I will be jacked up! Looking forward to me... Slaton... DC... hanging before the game and getting juiced. I'll be carrying the decades of memories of our game... our history... with VPI.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the standpoint of VT-WVU on the field, it's probably bigger for the kids as being the 1st game of the season against a ranked opponent. There will probably be more fights by guys like BB in the stands than personal fouls on the field. :dhd:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this game is going to be rowdy. Everyone down here in the area is pumped for it and they know WV brings in the fans.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is much love between the two fan bases. I expect things to get ugly in the stadium since there will be way too much of a mix of fans throughout.

I'm getting pretty pumped...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prob more to the fans than the players though I think the players DO get it to a point.

I like these opening game opponents that are relevant and so does Dana so I think we will see them for quite awhile.
UT
FSU
Pitt (ok not THAT relevant but we get it)
VT

On the slate in the future so... that's a good thing, I think it will help in recruiting because good players like to play against other good players. You get a good ooc game plus the Texas/OU (assuming they get it together) games and that could potentially be a ton of good players that you get to see while playing for WVU and that's not counting OSU,TCU, ect. Making runs.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gold....I disagree...I never think it is more to the fans than the players....the hard work and dedication alone tells us that. I think especially at a school like WVU these players know this is big.

Is it gametime yet???????

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current team knows it's big because it's the first game of the season, it's big because it's on National TV. It's big because it's an opponent from a P5 conference.

It ain't big because VT used to be a rival. They ain't a rival no more. It ain't as big to them as it is the fans. The fans were part of the rivalry. These kids weren't...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current team knows it's big because it's the first game of the season, it's big because it's on National TV. It's big because it's an opponent from a P5 conference.

It ain't big because VT used to be a rival. They ain't a rival no more. It ain't as big to them as it is the fans. The fans were part of the rivalry. These kids weren't...
I agree, imo if this game was still being played every year then it would mean more to the players because we would have 4 classes worth of kids that have a reason to hate those bastards as much as we fans do :lol:.

As it stands now none of these kids will be around if/when we play again unless we get matched up in a bowl game. Just something special about having that local rival on the schedule every year. It's a shame we (as well as some other programs post realignment) don't have that anymore.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gentlemen are both wrong....lol Any game is bigger to the players than the fans. We lose you go home and sober up....they lose go home get up hit film, treatment, and prepare for the next time you get drunk

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this game is going to be rowdy. Everyone down here in the area is pumped for it and they know WV brings in the fans.
DCW sent you a message about connecting at the game!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to spending some time with you Slaton.

You gentlemen are both wrong....lol Any game is bigger to the players than the fans. We lose you go home and sober up....they lose go home get up hit film, treatment, and prepare for the next time you get drunk

Won't argue what a kid playing for WVU goes through vs. what a fan goes through. You nailed it!

Kids can't let the result of the game leave any mental damage. Win or lose... they have to dump it... get ready for the next game.

Fans don't have that luxury. No matter what one thinks of a fan who lives and dies based on the outcome of a game played by 18-21 year old kids... fans suffer the losses deeper. When it comes to an old rival like VT, a loss leaves a deeper wound. I grew up in Morgantown, grew up with Mountaineer football. We played VPI every fucking year. Until Beamer got his Hokies going, we pretty much dominated them boys... kept their fans' mouths shut the fuck up.

Then Beamer Ball became a thing. Fucking team with weird colors started kicking our ass on a regular basis. Their fans became obnoxious fucks. Fucking rednecks from VA making jokes about the rednecks from WV. Superior thinking fucks... because they had a good football team.

This game is big for fans like me. It means more. I fucking hate those fucks with VT all over their stupid outerwear. Hate is a strong word. I fucking hate them!

I doubt there is a single kid on the WVU football team taking snaps tomorrow that feels the same way I do...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to spending some time with you Slaton.

Won't argue what a kid playing for WVU goes through vs. what a fan goes through. You nailed it!

Kids can't let the result of the game leave any mental damage. Win or lose... they have to dump it... get ready for the next game.

Fans don't have that luxury. No matter what one thinks of a fan who lives and dies based on the outcome of a game played by 18-21 year old kids... fans suffer the losses deeper. When it comes to an old rival like VT, a loss leaves a deeper wound. I grew up in Morgantown, grew up with Mountaineer football. We played VPI every fucking year. Until Beamer got his Hokies going, we pretty much dominated them boys... kept their fans' mouths shut the fuck up.

Then Beamer Ball became a thing. Fucking team with weird colors started kicking our ass on a regular basis. Their fans became obnoxious fucks. Fucking rednecks from VA making jokes about the rednecks from WV. Superior thinking fucks... because they had a good football team.

This game is big for fans like me. It means more. I fucking hate those fucks with VT all over their stupid outerwear. Hate is a strong word. I fucking hate them!

I doubt there is a single kid on the WVU football team taking snaps tomorrow that feels the same way I do...

I would say when Tech's program improved I had more interest in this game...not sure if I feel as strongly about VT as I do PITT and PENN STATE...I hate Paterno now just as strongly as I did after that piece of shit took us off the schedule!

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="bbwvfan, post: 10472447,

I doubt there is a single kid on the WVU football team taking snaps tomorrow that feels the same way I do...[/QUOTE]

I grew up in Hampshire County, I can see the VA line almost from where I live. I have a business in Winchester VA. there is probably as many WVU fans around here as VPI fans, but them VPI fans are the most annoying motherfuckers I have been around....don't get me wrong I do have a few friends that are VPI fans, but most are assholes. VPI was my most hated rival in my neck of the woods. I hope this deer season when them schmucks come up to our hunting cabin we can rub it in to them, been hearing their shit for over a decade now.

BTW it will be nice to see a Hampshire Grad seeing the field Sunday, I was in the same homeroom as Evan's Aunt, and he came to my girls elementary school last year to talk with them, made a good impression on her. From what I here he is a great kid.. I'm pumped for Sunday, just to bad I had to go and get sick before the game....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep... Mike gets it!!

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad I didn't shoot my mouth off to much....but will still hear them bastards for another four years.