• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Jordan Matthews have a future in Philly?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article suggests he should not get a new contract because his stats are inflated. It makes a lot of good points about his drops, how much of his TDs came in garbage time situations, etc. Of course, I think you could make a similar argument about Zach Ertz and his stats, but I digress.

I think this year will be crucial for Matthews, but it does seem like he is probably no more than a #3 wideout and thus may not be worth the money he may be expecting as a free agent.

The problem with using stats to defend Jordan Matthews

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a whole season to figure this out. Lots of possible outcomes.

If Alshon goes down and Matthews puts up 90-1200-8, yes he will have a future here.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent example of how the Eagles will have a tough time retaining this roster they have cobbled together. Tough decisions will have to be made. Irregardless :-) of the money, Matthews is the sort of person and player you want on your roster.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how you view his value - If Sanu is getting $8M/yr from Atlanta, is Matthews worth the same? I think that's where the negotiations will start if he has a good season.

Some may argue he is a product of the system, and you can plug any half-decent receiver in our slot and he will produce. I like Matthews a lot as a person and a player, but I don't care what kind of season he has, if he's asking for anything north of $8M a year I'll take my chances elsewhere. Other than route running (he's a very good route runner), he's still yet to show he can be consistently reliable in all facets of his game.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Matthews hasn't shown that he can play outside ... nor has he shown reliable hands. Barring a significant improvement on his part, I don't see him as any kind of irreplaceable player. Mack Hollins may be able to step right in to that spot if he leaves.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent example of how the Eagles will have a tough time retaining this roster they have cobbled together. Tough decisions will have to be made. Irregardless :-) of the money, Matthews is the sort of person and player you want on your roster.

Not sure I understand the point. If I am reading the article correctly the perception is Jordan Mathews is not really a good receiver. I disagree but I also realize he is not going to be great either and so did the Eagles. There is reason they went and signed 2 starting receivers. They knew they needed better receivers and they went and got them. As far as keeping the roster together it is not as hard as you think. You have to remember they are still gathering their peices. The Eagles are not Superbowl contenders so it is going to take more than just one off season to fix the problems.

Frizzle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will let him walk... heck Nelson has been playing the slot due to Mathews having a knee issue in OTAs.

If nelson steps up Mathews is outta here for sure.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Matthews hasn't shown that he can play outside ... nor has he shown reliable hands. Barring a significant improvement on his part, I don't see him as any kind of irreplaceable player. Mack Hollins may be able to step right in to that spot if he leaves.

My thoughts eactly. I like Matthews and Maclin as people - but they are both #3 players that were put into #1 positions. OF course their numbers will be inflated when they are nearly the only option you have. We played 2 and 3 Te sets for a reason last year. Our WR's sucked!! I want no part of Maclin coming back, and while I like Matthews, I only want him to stay if he does so for #3 money. I think one of the rookies or a journeyman can fill in and not miss a beat. What we have always needed was a TRUE #1 that was worth #1 money. I hope Alshon can be that player, and am very hopeful about that. We will see. The thought of Matthews coming in and becoming a beast after Alshon gets injured is garbage at it's premise, or he would have already done it before Alshon got here. I think we have seen Matthews ceiling. The real question is, will he accept #3 money or will he buy into him being more than he is after playing as the #1??? If so, he needs to go. On top of that, isn't there issues with his body/health?? That is why he isn't playing right now and Agholor is playing in his place. I am hope'n that our 1st round investment in agholor pays off and he really steps up and makes this an easy decision. I don't think we have seen Agholors ceiling, and he has a lot more in him. If he fails to show that this year, he can go also - but he is in a great position to prove himself this year. I like the rookie WR's we have also and still think Turner has not been given a well deserved shot for as good of hands as he has shown. We need to invest heavily into a true #1, and the rest will be put in better situations to succeed.

My guess, Matthews injuries will not get him another contract. It's 50/50 on algholor and this season will go a long way into whether he is the new slot guy or we go elsewhere.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will let him walk... heck Nelson has been playing the slot due to Mathews having a knee issue in OTAs.

If nelson steps up Mathews is outta here for sure.

I thought Agholor was playing in Matthews place??? It does sound like Hollins is having a lot of success, while Gibson is struggling with drops. Wonder how much Eric Decker will go for with NYJ's having a fire sale??

In other noteworthy Eagles injury news, Jordan Matthews did not practice on Monday. The team has said they’re taking a “conservative approach” with Matthews, and they aren’t joking around because he missed all of last week and today so far. Matthews has been listed with “knee tendinitis” which was an issue for him last year. Matthews also suffered an ankle injury last season.

Nelson Agholor has been taking first team reps in the slot during Matthews’ absence.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article suggests he should not get a new contract because his stats are inflated. It makes a lot of good points about his drops, how much of his TDs came in garbage time situations, etc. Of course, I think you could make a similar argument about Zach Ertz and his stats, but I digress.

I think this year will be crucial for Matthews, but it does seem like he is probably no more than a #3 wideout and thus may not be worth the money he may be expecting as a free agent.

The problem with using stats to defend Jordan Matthews

That's a really good article. I seriously don't think you could make the same claims about ERtz. I think ertz is tremendously under appreciated, imho. The key to Matthews will be his perceived value, and his replacement ability. And it's not 'hate' whatsoever, very objective. Great article.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand the point. If I am reading the article correctly the perception is Jordan Mathews is not really a good receiver. I disagree but I also realize he is not going to be great either and so did the Eagles. There is reason they went and signed 2 starting receivers. They knew they needed better receivers and they went and got them. As far as keeping the roster together it is not as hard as you think. You have to remember they are still gathering their peices. The Eagles are not Superbowl contenders so it is going to take more than just one off season to fix the problems.

The point is he is a free agent after this year and the Eagles will have to make a difficult decision of whether to pay him or let him go.

Frizzle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Agholor was playing in Matthews place??? It does sound like Hollins is having a lot of success, while Gibson is struggling with drops. Wonder how much Eric Decker will go for with NYJ's having a fire sale??

In other noteworthy Eagles injury news, Jordan Matthews did not practice on Monday. The team has said they’re taking a “conservative approach” with Matthews, and they aren’t joking around because he missed all of last week and today so far. Matthews has been listed with “knee tendinitis” which was an issue for him last year. Matthews also suffered an ankle injury last season.

Nelson Agholor has been taking first team reps in the slot during Matthews’ absence.

Sorry Matthews. Not Mathews.

But yea Agholor has been playing in the slot, which could be a good thing for him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It will be an easy decision by the time it has to be made. The Eagles front office has played this perfectly.