• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does a 12 - 1 Washington Huskies team make the CFP?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington won't get screwed. If they get left out at 12-1, they'll probably deserve it. I could see a big argument about the Big Ten champ, and the runner up in their good division (not sure if they are north/south or legends/leaders )
:L

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that when AD ran all over our ass in the 2nd half? I remember getting my hopes up after the first half because we were within a score and then, boom it was a blowout real quick.

No, it was when Sam Bradford threw 5 touchdown passes for #3 ranked OU.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look back through the BCS era it's hard to argue a 12-1 Washington doesn't get in. I think anybody saying otherwise is jaded by the recent way it's worked out. That year TCU and Baylor were skipped over is more of the exception instead of the rule.

I don't think it's going to be a regular occurrence where we have 5 power teams champions have 1 loss or less. I could be wrong though.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC will end up 12-1 beating Notre dame this weekend and Washington in the CCG and that takes care of this neighborhood of scenario village. :dhd:
People have been assuming either UW or USC would win the Pac all along. I still wouldn't be shocked to find Stanford or one of the teams from the south still nipping at your heals there either. No team has clearly separated yet and is running away with anything.

There are 3 teams with 1 conf loss in both divisions. That both zona schools are on that list is in itself just weird. I wouldn't even entirely dismiss Utah and UCLA yet with just 2 conf losses.

Second half of the season is going to be a hell of a ride.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team has clearly separated yet and is running away with anything.
Conference parity is a death sentence for getting into the CFP. It looks like the PAC 12, Big 12 and possibly the ACC may end up paying a price for parity. I can see a scenario where either the SEC or B1G get two, the other one and ND. All of the sudden three conferences are out...unless one considers ND an ACC member.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have been assuming either UW or USC would win the Pac all along. I still wouldn't be shocked to find Stanford or one of the teams from the south still nipping at your heals there either. No team has clearly separated yet and is running away with anything.

There are 3 teams with 1 conf loss in both divisions. That both zona schools are on that list is in itself just weird. I wouldn't even entirely dismiss Utah and UCLA yet with just 2 conf losses.

Second half of the season is going to be a hell of a ride.

Some teams have played more conference games than others. The AZ schools have played 3 and USC has played 5.
As inconsistent as USC has been and Washington losing, I think Stanford is the only other team in the PAC that can win the conference. Utah is not last years Utah and neither is Colorado. UCLA can be a spoiler for another team because they do have talent in spots but they are gonna have trouble making a bowl.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference parity is a death sentence for getting into the CFP. It looks like the PAC 12, Big 12 and possibly the ACC may end up paying a price for parity. I can see a scenario where either the SEC or B1G get two, the other one and ND. All of the sudden three conferences are out...unless one considers ND an ACC member.
Not sure we are at the point where we can say no one will pull away though.

Stanford has ran off 4 straight wins and is 4-1 in conference. They didn't dominate at Utah, but otherwise have been stringing together good play.

Everyone keeps execting USC to get their shit together (Especially OD!!! Boy are they really dicking him!). Will they? :noidea:

UW had one loss, but are capable of getting it back together and putting a run on.

Stanford's two losses eliminate them from the national championship, but USC sure hasn't been yet with their remaining schedule. If either USC or UW pulls away it's not too late yet, but any of those other 1 loss (conf loss, not overall) teams can wreck that narrative rather quickly if neither does wake up and get shit going soon.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams have played more conference games than others. The AZ schools have played 3 and USC has played 5.
As inconsistent as USC has been and Washington losing, I think Stanford is the only other team in the PAC that can win the conference. Utah is not last years Utah and neither is Colorado. UCLA can be a spoiler for another team because they do have talent in spots but they are gonna have trouble making a bowl.
The point was if USC and/or UW doesn't wake the fuck up and start acting like champions soon neither has staked a claim to the CCG yet. If SC keeps playing as inconsistently as they have a couple of those teams will keep nipping at your heels and Stanford for sure has momentum after their slow start not unlike SC last year. And you can't count out the cougs, even if it doesn't feel like they have the pieces to go run out their slate. It's not impossible at this point. Since head to head is the first tiebreaker losing to Cal is the least hurtful loss they could have had against a north opponent outside of the beavs.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame is throwing a huge wrench into things when it comes to the 1-loss conference champs. What's also really not helping Washington is seeing Wazzou get throated by a bad Cal team. At this point, they may be lucky to have 2 ranked wins by the time CCGs are over.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame is throwing a huge wrench into things when it comes to the 1-loss conference champs. What's also really not helping Washington is seeing Wazzou get throated by a bad Cal team. At this point, they may be lucky to have 2 ranked wins by the time CCGs are over.
Three teams left that reasonably could finished ranked. Between wsu, Stanford, and Utah, I'd be surprised if two of them aren't ranked at the end of the year. Then factor in UW would play in conference championship game in this scenario, I'd say it's a safe bet they'll have 2 or 3 ranked teams on their resume. I don't know how much that helps on its own. UW needs help to get a playoff spot at this point, on top of winning out.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three teams left that reasonably could finished ranked. Between wsu, Stanford, and Utah, I'd be surprised if two of them aren't ranked at the end of the year. Then factor in UW would play in conference championship game in this scenario, I'd say it's a safe bet they'll have 2 or 3 ranked teams on their resume. I don't know how much that helps on its own. UW needs help to get a playoff spot at this point, on top of winning out.
Naw man, he's probably right. In order for it to matter whether they are ranked or not it means UW also beats them which adds another loss no matter what else they do. That would be 3 overall for Stanford and Utah if they run everything else out. I could see that knocking either of them out of the 25 or maybe one would barely be 25? It's at least possible they wouldn't be ranked. They both have a little meat outside of UW left as well so I wouldn't bank on them running that table.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw man, he's probably right. In order for it to matter whether they are ranked or not it means UW also beats them which adds another loss no matter what else they do. That would be 3 overall for Stanford and Utah if they run everything else out. I could see that knocking either of them out of the 25 or maybe one would barely be 25? It's at least possible they wouldn't be ranked. They both have a little meat outside of UW left as well so I wouldn't bank on them running that table.
Utah for sure is iffy. Stanford will finish the year ranked if they keep up how they've been playing. I think they can probably finish with 4 loses and be ranked. I guess I'm just guessing the cougs sneak in the bottom. But I was factoring in the south champion too, I think there's 2 ranked teams in there.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is anyone’s game right now for the CFP. Would be surprised to see more than one conference champ having more than one loss.

Bama is basically the only lock. Not sure how long Bryant is out for Clemson, but they could lose again if it is a few games. No one knows what you will get anywhere else? Is OSU’s offense real or is it the fact they’ve played some of the worst defenses in CFB? Ws the Iowa game a fluke for PSU or are they going to struggle against any team with a solid front 7? Is OU the team who hammered OSU or the team who struggled with Baylor and lost to ISU? And lord knows about the PAC? WSU beats USC, loses by 5 tds to Cal. UW gets shut down by a defense who had given up 30+ points in 11 straight games and was giving up 500 yards a game?

It is a cluster this year and what is funny — if they were to hold the CFP now. Bama would probably be favored by 2+ tds over every team.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah for sure is iffy. Stanford will finish the year ranked if they keep up how they've been playing. I think they can probably finish with 4 loses and be ranked. I guess I'm just guessing the cougs sneak in the bottom. But I was factoring in the south champion too, I think there's 2 ranked teams in there.
8-4 isn't likely to get Stanford ranked unless there are a bunch of shitty 8-4 teams. They'll have to beat ND, which doesn't look likely right now. Honestly, 7-5 seems very likely, 8-4 at best if they beat Wazzou. If they beat Wazzou, that's gonna be at least 3 losses for them then, which will likely make them at best maybe a top 15 team. Utah isn't going to be ranked anymore. I think they lose 3 of their final 6. They just haven't looked good once this year, and were only ranked to start this last weekend because their first 4 games were absolute cake teams.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-4 isn't likely to get Stanford ranked unless there are a bunch of shitty 8-4 teams. They'll have to beat ND, which doesn't look likely right now. Honestly, 7-5 seems very likely, 8-4 at best if they beat Wazzou. If they beat Wazzou, that's gonna be at least 3 losses for them then, which will likely make them at best maybe a top 15 team. Utah isn't going to be ranked anymore. I think they lose 3 of their final 6. They just haven't looked good once this year, and were only ranked to start this last weekend because their first 4 games were absolute cake teams.

8-4 we shouldn't be ranked... but we're playing much better now and have no significant injuries. win out and we're in the ccg, and you know how that works out when the pac-n plays the pac-s. goal as always is to win the pac and hope for a good bowl game

seriously i don't see any game on our schedule as a guaranteed loss. unlikely to win out, but game by game it could happen. cal's playing as tough as anybody atm and we'll be underdogs against wa, wazzu, nd. hell, even ore st could get an adrenaline rush with the coaching turmoil

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-4 we shouldn't be ranked... but we're playing much better now and have no significant injuries. win out and we're in the ccg, and you know how that works out when the pac-n plays the pac-s. goal as always is to win the pac and hope for a good bowl game

seriously i don't see any game on our schedule as a guaranteed loss. unlikely to win out, but game by game it could happen. cal's playing as tough as anybody atm and we'll be underdogs against wa, wazzu, nd. hell, even ore st could get an adrenaline rush with the coaching turmoil
I don't know that I would bank on Stanford being underdogs to WSU and they won't be big dogs to UW if they are indeed dogs at all. UW hasn't played that well on the road the last couple of years.

WSU won't be a slam dunk, but they are beatable if your defensive backs can prevent explosive plays and you can get any type of pressure on Falk. They won't be able to stop Love.

The worst time to face any team is after they have had a loss followed by a bye week. Two weeks of intense and very focused practice and prep. I'm expecting a hell of a bounce back game against UCLA and the ducks which might bump their vegas value, but again they aren't the same team on the road.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

image_handler.aspx

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, many have alluded to it...but if all other things are equal it'll come down to
name recognition.

Washington would get in over TCU and maybe Okie State, but they won't get in over OU.

They won't get in over Clemson but they would get in over NC St and probably VPI.

I don't believe you would want a scenario where an 11-1 UGA beats a 12-0 Bama in the SEC title
game, along with ND going 11-1. I wouldn't even watch the selection show but would spend my
time trying to find a reasonable Hotel room nearest to the Rose Bowl.

Fans just aren't rabid enough to create a nationwide controversy if y'all were left out. (Plus, there's
not that many of them to bitch in the first place)

We can pretend that the committee will do research...and they will, but not for the proper reasons.
Their research would be to find any stat that favors Oklahoma and then find any negative fact on
Washington.

It's always been like that, whether it's a committee or pollsters or whatever. They're going to get the
matchup they want and it ain't gonna be by what the teams have done on the field of play.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington would get in over TCU and maybe Okie State, but they won't get in over OU.

They won't get in over Clemson but they would get in over NC St and probably VPI.
Truth...even though a bunch of folks on here think the committee goes strictly by on field performance and is in no way influenced by historical name brand.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look back through the BCS era it's hard to argue a 12-1 Washington doesn't get in. I think anybody saying otherwise is jaded by the recent way it's worked out. That year TCU and Baylor were skipped over is more of the exception instead of the rule.

I don't think it's going to be a regular occurrence where we have 5 power teams champions have 1 loss or less. I could be wrong though.
You're also forgetting about ND, who at 11-1 would almost certainly be in. That's 6 teams with 1 loss or less. At that point, style points and losses matter. Washington doesn't have a lot more chances to beat highly ranked teams, and ASU has been awful the last 2 years.