• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

do y'all play or just fans?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might want to try a co-poly if you have arm/shoulder issues. Especially if you have a stiff frame. Lots out there now. Read the labels and reviews.
no shoulder problems here, but I will certainly be checking out reviews and recommendations. My crosses right now are 17 gauge Krisbaums, but I am not glued to them. I can use what's left of my reel on customers racquets.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no shoulder problems here, but I will certainly be checking out reviews and recommendations. My crosses right now are 17 gauge Krisbaums, but I am not glued to them. I can use what's left of my reel on customers racquets.

Good strings though. But not every string from any maker is.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok ordered some new strings. Yonex Cyclone polys for the mains and Prince syn gut for the crosses. Both 17 gauge. I think everything I have used in the past was 16 gauge, so this will be a different feel, for sure.

Watched a couple videos from Tennis Warehouse to get a feel for what hybrid combo I want to try and I think this will work nicely.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well apparently I lied somewhere. I thought what I had on there now was 16 gauge.

Whatever. New strings. Done.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok ordered some new strings. Yonex Cyclone polys for the mains and Prince syn gut for the crosses. Both 17 gauge. I think everything I have used in the past was 16 gauge, so this will be a different feel, for sure.

Watched a couple videos from Tennis Warehouse to get a feel for what hybrid combo I want to try and I think this will work nicely.

I had a similar hybrid at one point. Got away from it after a while once the co-poly strings came out. Let me know what you think about the cyclones. Even though I use Yonex rackets, I never used any of their strings.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a similar hybrid at one point. Got away from it after a while once the co-poly strings came out. Let me know what you think about the cyclones. Even though I use Yonex rackets, I never used any of their strings.
the Yonex strings are popular with playtesters at Tennis Warehouse, so they must be pretty ok.

One dude puts them on his crosses though, which I have never done. Wonder how that would feel...might try stringing it that way once for shits and giggles.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our 8.0 mixed doubles league starts this weekend, but I am not scheduled to play.

Our men's ladder kicked off too and I have a challenge waiting. I am not in the right shape for singles play though, so I need to get out on the court.

And it looks like we have enough interested to have a 4.0 men's league, which we haven't had in a few years. Pretty pumped about that.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our 8.0 mixed doubles league starts this weekend, but I am not scheduled to play.

Our men's ladder kicked off too and I have a challenge waiting. I am not in the right shape for singles play though, so I need to get out on the court.

And it looks like we have enough interested to have a 4.0 men's league, which we haven't had in a few years. Pretty pumped about that.

Enjoy. It gets pretty baron once you get above that level. 3.5 and 4.0 is were all the volume is. I refuse to play mixed though. That is not so bad because there is more flexibility for 4.5s and 5.0s to play 9.0 mixed.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy. It gets pretty baron once you get above that level. 3.5 and 4.0 is were all the volume is. I refuse to play mixed though. That is not so bad because there is more flexibility for 4.5s and 5.0s to play 9.0 mixed.
agreed

we recruited this kid (26 or so) to play on our mixed team. He didn't have a USTA rating, but he played around the level of a high 3.5, maybe a 4 if he worked a little. He played at a D3 college though, so it fucked up his rating. USTA gave him a 4.5, which is insane. Guess he can't play with us. He is challenging it, but I doubt it gets changed before the season starts.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed

we recruited this kid (26 or so) to play on our mixed team. He didn't have a USTA rating, but he played around the level of a high 3.5, maybe a 4 if he worked a little. He played at a D3 college though, so it fucked up his rating. USTA gave him a 4.5, which is insane. Guess he can't play with us. He is challenging it, but I doubt it gets changed before the season starts.

If he were 36 instead of 26 it would not be a problem. The fact that he is only 5 years removed is what is driving it. They have a chart to determine the beginning rating that looks at age and level of play. He would need to say he put on 40 pounds and has not picked up a racket until this year. He can also submit his results of club play against 3.5 and 4.0 players. That might get him down to 4.0, but that would be it. They wont go more than 1 level back from the chart.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he were 36 instead of 26 it would not be a problem. The fact that he is only 5 years removed is what is driving it. They have a chart to determine the beginning rating that looks at age and level of play. He would need to say he put on 40 pounds and has not picked up a racket until this year. He can also submit his results of club play against 3.5 and 4.0 players. That might get him down to 4.0, but that would be it. They wont go more than 1 level back from the chart.
I thought there was something about whether the team was a top team or if it was Division 1 tennis, but I guess not.

4.0 would at least be better. As a 4.5 we can't pair him with anyone.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought there was something about whether the team was a top team or if it was Division 1 tennis, but I guess not.

4.0 would at least be better. As a 4.5 we can't pair him with anyone.

Yes, that is still part of it. A D1 player would start at 5.5 and then slide down based on age and where he played. I have never seen a D1 player at 4.0. D2 here and there but not much. D3 all the time, just needs to be older.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that is still part of it. A D1 player would start at 5.5 and then slide down based on age and where he played. I have never seen a D1 player at 4.0. D2 here and there but not much. D3 all the time, just needs to be older.
it's funny because we have a maybe late 20-something dude in our league who is CURRENTLY playing on a D3 team and he was rated as a 3.5 last season. He obviously dominated.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's funny because we have a maybe late 20-something dude in our league who is CURRENTLY playing on a D3 team and he was rated as a 3.5 last season. He obviously dominated.

Unless he had a medical reason that should not have happened. Its possible he submitted his league play results and they were not that impressive and maybe he played 7th singles on the D3 team. Even then someone probably pulled some strings. The position on the team and the results matter too. If he got whooped at the last singles position that would have helped in downgrading him. Its not an exact science even though they have gotten better at structuring it.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't played in a couple weeks and I really need to get back on the court. My men's and mixed doubles seasons ended a while ago, so I just haven't had an excuse to play. Now I just need to get back out and into tennis shape.

I am also considering changing my racquet. I don't think I need it, but I am considering it...

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't played in a couple weeks and I really need to get back on the court. My men's and mixed doubles seasons ended a while ago, so I just haven't had an excuse to play. Now I just need to get back out and into tennis shape.

I am also considering changing my racquet. I don't think I need it, but I am considering it...

Most people who buy new recquets to improve their game should really invest in lessons instead.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people who buy new recquets to improve their game should really invest in lessons instead.
my reasoning is not because I think it will improve my game.

my reasoning is that I smashed one of my racquets last time and I need to replace it...

I have no doubt lessons will help me

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my reasoning is not because I think it will improve my game.

my reasoning is that I smashed one of my racquets last time and I need to replace it...

I have no doubt lessons will help me

Did you smash your racquet after messing up a shot?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you smash your racquet after messing up a shot?
after messing up multiple shots.

But that is bound to happen when you don't play for weeks then go out and play a USTA match.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after messing up multiple shots.

But that is bound to happen when you don't play for weeks then go out and play a USTA match.

How much did that racquet cost?