• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do the Rams continue to waste their time with Bradford

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com:

"Sam Bradford regressing... Against a defense missing two of the NFL's premier players, Bradford continued the disturbing habit of dumping off to his hot read at the first sign of pressure , failing to pose a vertical challenge at any point.
No quarterback has had more excuses made for his play the past few years than the golden-armed Bradford. The problem is that he's clearly regressed since producing the best game of his young career against the same defense -- at peak strength -- last November. In Tampa, they fire a quarterback of this caliber. In St. Louis, they trumpet his potential"

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS Sports:

"Sam Bradford doesn't look like franchise QB...Bradford's accuracy was terrible throughout the evening ...Bradford's supposed to be progressing and instead it looks like he's taking steps backwards.
An inability to get rid of the ball, an unwillingness to pull the trigger on throws and inaccuracy down the field were all trademarks of his game Thursday. St. Louis might still believe he's the future of the franchise. But he didn't look the part on Thursday night at all."

That's an amusingly written blurb, since it discusses Bradford's long term viability, but it does so based solely on last night's game. Funny thing about that to me is that it's not that uncommon for even very good QBs to have a bad game, which Bradford obviously did last night. At the same time, he didn't seem to have a whole lot of help, which is something that I've seen on the few occasions the past couple of years when I've seen him play. At least he had a good RB in previous years to help overcome poor protection and a dropped balls. Doesn't look as if he even has that now.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did suck last night. There is no question about it. I think its pretty apparent that he hasn't been an elite level talent for awhile but he is good enough to be a game manager which is something Jeff Fisher teams have always had. The Rams don't have the talent around him for Bradford to be an average QB. He has to try and be an elite QB and he'll fall flat on his face everytime he tries that.

The Rams should have had 14 points at half. Wide open pass to Pettis in the endzone - the same play they screwed up earlier in the season (preseason?) and the deep pass to Quick that was tipped because Quick jumped really early and lost his height advantage.

I almost think the Rams need to put a backup QB in just to show people that our run game sucks and our oline sucks

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotoworld:

"Bradford struggles again in Week 4 loss....He generally looked skittish in the pocket, held on to the ball too long, and missed multiple open throws. Bradford continues to struggle with his downfield accuracy and his only success came in the short-to-intermediate passing game. He's nothing more than a middling QB2 right now"

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

If Freeman can't make it with Doug Martin and Vincent Jackson, he isn't making it in STL.

I think it would literally take the number 1 pick next year for the Rams to move on from Bradford. The way we've been playing the past 2 weeks as a team, we just might get it.

Idk what to think about Bradford...not getting that many looks at him...he looks good sometimes, other times not, so consistency seems to be his biggest problem. Plus the talent around him is young.

Fisher is not a great OFC coach and the guy in Tampa isn't either so imo it's tough to really make a call...point being...will the next QB have much more success under a DEF minded coach.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grantland.com:

"The most disappointing player (last night) was Bradford. Bradford did make a few nice throws and had consistent, effective footwork as a passer, but he struggled to throw defenders open and rarely looked for an option downfield. Virtually every one of his throws came within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage. This problem has existed in St. Louis since Bradford arrived and has alternately been blamed upon his old offensive coordinators and the relative paucity of speed amid his old receivers, but Bradford now has a group of wideouts with a big-money tight end and a top-eight draft pick and (still) can't do much of anything in terms of big plays. (The Rams have one of the most significantly improved wide receiver corps in the NFL with Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey teaming with Chris Givens and Austin Pettis.)

By the middle of the third quarter, Bradford and his offense were receiving catcalls (from the Rams fans) by every second down and enduring loud boos every time they walked off the turf.

And, by the end of the night, I was back to thinking about the biggest difference between these two teams: what they spend on their respective quarterbacks, and what that allows them to do elsewhere. The Rams will give Sam Bradford $9 million this season; he will make more money per game than Colin Kaepernick will make between the beginning of the season and December. (Bradford made more for his one game last night than Colin Kaepernick will make before December.)

By contract, Kaepernick will make about $600,000 this year. That $8.26 million difference was enough for the Niners to make brief forays into the veteran free-agent market, and they came away with two key contributors. The Niners fit Anquan Boldin (via trade) and Glenn Dorsey (unrestricted free agent) into the cap at a combined cap figure of $8.2 million, and while they might be able to fake things without Dorsey around, they would be in tatters offensively if it weren't for Boldin and his ability to make cornerbacks look foolish."

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Rams are a far worse team than I thought they were. I agree that Bradford is going in the wrong direction. He looks like a deer caught in the headlights and he doesn't scare any defenses. Having said that, the O-line is awful, the receivers don't make any plays to help him (even if the throw is a little off, sometimes guys have to fight and make a play), and there is zero threat of a run game in St. Louis. As I have said, regardless of star QB's and a pass first league, you still need the bigs up front and some semblance of a run game to keep teams honest or you have no chance of winning. Having said that, no excuses, Bradford looked awful from what little I saw last night. Right now, they are looking more like the team that got that #1 pick to get Bradford in the first place and that is not good for Rams fans.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was saying in a preseason thread I wouldn't be surprised seeing STL go 0-4 vs Sea and SF.

With all the pumping of their chests about last year they did and deservedly so going 3-1-1.

Sleeping dogs, Poking the bear etc.

They need to clean it up vs the rest of their schedule. Getting beaten by Dallas is not a good look.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these people throwing bradford under the bus is hilarious. Yeah he didn't play great, but he didn't play terrible either. He made a few bad decisions and threw about three balls he should never have thrown. On two of them he got lucky... the one whitner dropped and the one bowman would have returned for six points.

But...... besides that. He was getting harassed all day long. The Niners were getting massive and constant pressure with only four guys all night long. They weren't even stacking the box and they completely shut down the running game. And don't even get me started on who his WR's are. Not sure if you noticed but there isn't a boldin among them.

I mean seriously, they get rid of Amendola, and Jackson leaves.... did anyone think this Bradford was going to look better under the current situation than he did last year?

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not followed Bradford, he did not look good last night but so did the entire St Louis Rams. A look at the stats sheet shows, Bradford has been sacked 11 times this season, meaning his line cannot protect him. The Rams have rushed for 189 yards this season so there is no running game to take the pressure off of Bradford. The Rams have given up 534 yards on the ground showing they cannot stop the run. The Rams receiving is about on the same level as their opponents. Bradford is completing 58.8% of his passes and averages over 250 yards per game through the air. To me, all this does not necessarily say bad QB, it says bad team.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox News:

The pedestrian Kellen Clemens is the current backup quarterback for the Rams and probably the most popular man in all of St. Louis today after Bradford's latest laughable attempt to play the position during a 35-11 fiasco of a game against NFC West rival San Francisco on Thursday night.
Apologists can fall on their swords all they want for Bradford and to be fair, it's hard to look like Peyton Manning on play-action when Daryl Richardson and Benny Cunningham are running it for 22 yards on 16 carries.

But, pointing to things like that or the unimaginative offense of Brian Schottenheimer or a mediocre offensive line or the fact highly-touted rookie Tavon Austin doesn't have a clue how to run a route doesn't mask the fact that Bradford is regressing at a rapid rate.

In fact, give this guy Adrian Peterson in the backfield along with Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones and Jimmy Graham to throw to and I'm still not sure he would look anything like a franchise quarterback.
In fact, one of the major reasons Schottenheimer's offense looks more conservative than Sean Hannity stems from the fact that Bradford checks down everything at the first sign of trouble and refuses to take a peek at any vertical routes because his accuracy when throwing the football down the field is virtually non-existent.

Against the 49ers Bradford averaged a pitiful 4.93 yards per attempt and that was against a group missing Aldon Smith and Patrick Willis.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford is useless IMO. I've been calling him Sam Bustford since before he was drafted, and I finally get to reclaim that nickname for him after years of being told it was too soon:

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-49ers/116690-i-win-pissing-contest-dodub.html

Other than that, they're really young. They'll get better on defense over time IMO.

The reason this team is losing is mostly the defense. Even if Bradford played great defense gave up 24-31-31-35 points its hard to win games that way. So if the defense can improve why cant Bradford. You know he has the talent he had a great rookie year. he threw for 3500 yards his rookie year and 3700 yards last year. he already has 1100 yards after 4 games so that means he in on track for slightly less then 4400 yards. Every year has more TDs the TO. so I dont know why the rush to throw him to the curb when he is obviously not the big problem. Plus he is doing everything with the youngest team in the league and no running game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The reason this team is losing is mostly the defense. Even if Bradford played great defense gave up 24-31-31-35 points its hard to win games that way.

The defense got pummeled because the offense couldn't move the ball. 18 yards rushing on 19 carries. Bradford can't get a first down or throw the ball further than 6 yards.

I've been where the Rams are when Alex Smith was the Niners' QB. Every play is a running play because the QB can't get the ball down the field. So teams play close to the line of scrimmage, and there's nothing Bradford can do about it. Sam Bradford is 30TH in the NFL in YPA because he's captain check down. He's always had a low YPA (Alex Smith is 26th in that category BTW).

He's not a good QB, and he's never going to be a good QB. I've been told to stop calling him Bustford since draft day 2010 because he deserved some time to prove himself. His time's up. Bust.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every play is a running play because the QB can't get the ball down the field.
Again, Im convinced that you don't actually watch football. The Rams are running about as often as they are punting these days

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Again, Im convinced that you don't actually watch football. The Rams are running about as often as they are punting these days

You missed the point. I say "every play is a running play" because even the passing plays ARE running plays.

As in Bradford can't complete a pass unless the guy is 1 yard down the field.

I realize you're a Rams' fan and he's your guy, but I'm just being honest here. The guy's useless. Good backup maybe.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed the point. I say "every play is a running play" because even the passing plays ARE running plays.

As in Bradford can't complete a pass unless the guy is 1 yard down the field.

I realize you're a Rams' fan and he's your guy, but I'm just being honest here. The guy's useless. Good backup maybe.

again you didn't watch, do you realize how many drops there were last night? you can't blame bradford on drops

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense got pummeled because the offense couldn't move the ball. 18 yards rushing on 19 carries. Bradford can't get a first down or throw the ball further than 6 yards.

I've been where the Rams are when Alex Smith was the Niners' QB. Every play is a running play because the QB can't get the ball down the field. So teams play close to the line of scrimmage, and there's nothing Bradford can do about it. Sam Bradford is 30TH in the NFL in YPA because he's captain check down. He's always had a low YPA (Alex Smith is 26th in that category BTW).

He's not a good QB, and he's never going to be a good QB. I've been told to stop calling him Bustford since draft day 2010 because he deserved some time to prove himself. His time's up. Bust.

Its actually kinda the opposite they cant get a run game going cause they have a 7th round back as a starter its just not very good. They dont have to stack the box. Safeties never had to come in to help on the run which ment they were always over the top to help the corners so Bradford was never throwing to a WR who is 1- on 1. Also Shotty is starting to prove what Jets fans have been saying about him all these years.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a 'meh' guy. There are 2 ways to the Super Bowl: Having an elite defense and at least a 'meh' guy that doesn't throw INTs or having an elite QB and at least a 'meh' defense that can create turnovers. The Rams are very, very far from an elite defense and the Rams don't have access to an elite QB. I'm not sure what you're expecting. I know that you predicted Bradford to bust but the vast majority of people predicted him to bust because they thought he was injury prone.

If we go 2-14, everyone will demand we draft a new QB. If we go 4-12, dangling a guy like Jake Matthews or Clowney will be enough. If we rebound, then this conversation dies till next year.

And the Niners didn't stack the box against the Rams. They actually did the opposite.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
again you didn't watch, do you realize how many drops there were last night? you can't blame bradford on drops

I'm talking about Bradford's entire career.

Saying "you don't watch" doesn't make Bradford not a complete bust. He's always been near or at the bottom of the league in YPA. Soon the Rams will realize they blew it like the Jags & the Buccs have.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I know that you predicted Bradford to bust but the vast majority of people predicted him to bust because they thought he was injury prone.

That's not true at all. If the "majority" of people thought he'd bust he wouldn't have gone #1 overall. Most people were saying he'd be great after his rookie season (which I said was ridiculous). Freddie Coleman even called him a "bear" because he doesn't have a clue about football.

I'm not "expecting" anything except for the NFL to realize Bradford isn't any good by the end of the year.