• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Dignity And Class

How should the Lions handle Coach Caldwell?

• Wait until this contract is finished before bringing in another head coach.

• Wait until the end of this season to announce his new position as Director of Player Personnel.

• Walk in on his weekly press conference and announce a new head coach.

• Send him an note that "...practice changed to Toledo facilities..." then change locks in Allen Park

• Take the Presidential route; "Tweet, Tweet" a new HC and see if JC follows the Lions feed.

• Announce a decision to go in a new direction, thank him for service, announce interim for this week.

• Just fire him. Now. Decide on next HC later.

Results are only viewable after voting.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How old were you in 1957?
Incubating. Born in '58. But what does that have to do with the misery of a Lions fan? Can't ones born after the last really good Lion's season still claim the umbrage that comes with how this franchise has delivered massive disappointment since that point in time, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory time and again? The seasons have been a series of barely interrupted snafu's. So it is a bit better than Cleveland; at least the team hasn't left town, been renamed, and brought back in as an expansion franchise to reconstruct the misery heaped upon its fans. But don't say we haven't suffered or deserve the sympathy and empathy that other long suffering franchises do based on one's birth date relative to a point in the teams history. Hell, and I'm a friggin' optimist about the Lions, and the current head coach has finally wore my otherwise sunny disposition thin. Get a competent coach on the field!

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incubating. Born in '58. But what does that have to do with the misery of a Lions fan? Can't ones born after the last really good Lion's season still claim the umbrage that comes with how this franchise has delivered massive disappointment since that point in time, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory time and again? The seasons have been a series of barely interrupted snafu's. So it is a bit better than Cleveland; at least the team hasn't left town, been renamed, and brought back in as an expansion franchise to reconstruct the misery heaped upon its fans. But don't say we haven't suffered or deserve the sympathy and empathy that other long suffering franchises do based on one's birth date relative to a point in the teams history. Hell, and I'm a friggin' optimist about the Lions, and the current head coach has finally wore my otherwise sunny disposition thin. Get a competent coach on the field!
Every head coach the Lions hire seem to have short shelf lives.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every head coach the Lions hire seem to have short shelf lives.
Hopefully Quinn will find one that is worth keeping for the long run. The front office had been inadequate for decades. Now, that piece and the players seem right.

It just seems that at this time, the last piece that needs to be tweaked to go from perennial losers to consistently competitive is the coaching staff. Caldwell doesn't seem to have it on the sidelines. He may be great with people, but for three to four hours a week he is out of his element. Unfortunately, that time period starts when the Lion's kick off. Get him off the field and get a competent head coach in there. He's had enough time between his stints in Detroit and elsewhere to provide a body of work to prove he is the right man for the job, and yet, the results state just the opposite.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Quinn will find one that is worth keeping for the long run. The front office had been inadequate for decades. Now, that piece and the players seem right.

It just seems that at this time, the last piece that needs to be tweaked to go from perennial losers to consistently competitive is the coaching staff. Caldwell doesn't seem to have it on the sidelines. He may be great with people, but for three to four hours a week he is out of his element. Unfortunately, that time period starts when the Lion's kick off. Get him off the field and get a competent head coach in there. He's had enough time between his stints in Detroit and elsewhere to provide a body of work to prove he is the right man for the job, and yet, the results state just the opposite.
John Gruden would be a solid hire.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Number of Superbowl visits for Detroit?

Zero

It's not like the coaching staff hasn't been given a decent run at this. They have, for multiple years. Front office has improved, overall player quality has improved, but the leadership from the sideline has not. Players aren't getting any younger, and the coaching staff isn't improving as the rest of the organization moved forward. Nothing personal, it's just the right business decision at this time.

That ain't nothing ... One Playoff win in 60 years ... name another professional franchise that can match that.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the Presidential route. Helped Make America Great Again! Maybe it can help the Lions be great for once.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MMQB's Albert Breer listed Jim Caldwell among the coaches "likely" to be fired after the season.

Breer writes there have been "rumblings" for a "few weeks" Caldwell would be gone if the Lions failed to make the playoffs, and their disappointing loss last week to the Bengals knocked them out of contention. It would be something of a harsh end for a coach with a 35-28 record and two playoff berths in four seasons with the Lions, but the team has failed to move past mediocre the last three seasons. If Caldwell goes, Breer thinks the Lions might retain respected OC Jim Bob Cooter and hire a defensive-minded coach like Patriots DC Matt Patricia, who GM Bob Quinn worked with in New England.

Source: MMQB

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dislike the idea of dismissing a coach with an overall winning record, but when you lead the team to being average at best it demonstrates what Paul Harvey meant when he said:

"Why should anyone aspire to be a common man, an average man? Do you realize what it means to be average? That means you're the best of the lousiest...and the lousiest of the best. Now, if we demand more and more for producing less and less, while the have-not nations encourage, and inspire, and indeed require hard work and maximum effort - if we deify the common man while they encourage and reward the uncommon ones - well, the end result of such a lopsided race as that is too obvious to require elaboration."

Substitute teams for nations, and that summarizes how the Lions organization has been in the past. Time to move along from that situation.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions actually have a couple of decent coordinators. Dump Caldwell and hire from within.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MMQB's Albert Breer listed Jim Caldwell among the coaches "likely" to be fired after the season.

Breer writes there have been "rumblings" for a "few weeks" Caldwell would be gone if the Lions failed to make the playoffs, and their disappointing loss last week to the Bengals knocked them out of contention. It would be something of a harsh end for a coach with a 35-28 record and two playoff berths in four seasons with the Lions, but the team has failed to move past mediocre the last three seasons. If Caldwell goes, Breer thinks the Lions might retain respected OC Jim Bob Cooter and hire a defensive-minded coach like Patriots DC Matt Patricia, who GM Bob Quinn worked with in New England.

Source: MMQB

I was just about to post this. Saw something similar on another site too. Hold on to your hats.
iu

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My emotional side says give him the 'Patton' treatment, but my emotional side never conducts business. I would have chosen door #2, except I don't want him in the organization. Pink slip a few days after the final game this season.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan of the Jets get extensions. They haven't been relevant in the three years they've been running the club, but are in rebuild mode and did exceed general expectations this year by winning five games so far. In a familiar refrain:

"There will be raised expectations, especially with fans decidedly mixed on Bowles staying. Some pointed to the competitiveness with which the team played, while detractors think the coach's in-game decisions have left something to be desired."

Easily could be written about the Lions, especially when considering Caldwell's extension-with-a-delayed announcement earlier this year. The difference is, Bowles had little recognized talent, whereas Caldwell has had at least a franchise QB with a decent supporting cast each year. There are even rumors forming that the OC and DC could be wooed to be an HC with different teams.

Will Caldwell be kept again? Who knows, my but the frustration is not with the team or organization so much as the on field game management, and that is what he has to own up to.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it. I've changed my mind. Grab him by the nose and kick him in the ass. And keep kicking it until he's out of the country.