• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Digital Video Recorder

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any suggestions for buying a DVR that does not require a subscription ?

I would like to record HDMI out from my cable box & possibly screen capture NFL game pass off my computer.

The guys at best buy were clueless ... they didnt even realize TiVo was a DVR

i am aware you can bring 3rd party DVR into comcast and pay nominal subscription fee

does anyone have any experience setting this up

or

recommend a good DVR set up ?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have a Tivo in our living room. I am not really a fan of it, but it essentially does what I need it to do.

There was a time when the Tivo decided it would record and save shows it thought I would like and they were usually terrible suggestions, making the list of shows on my device way longer than it needed to be. The settings can be a little ugly, but eventually you can tweak it to your likings.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any suggestions for buying a DVR that does not require a subscription ?

I would like to record HDMI out from my cable box & possibly screen capture NFL game pass off my computer.

The guys at best buy were clueless ... they didnt even realize TiVo was a DVR

i am aware you can bring 3rd party DVR into comcast and pay nominal subscription fee

does anyone have any experience setting this up

or

recommend a good DVR set up ?
Have you tried hooking up an external hard drive? As long as you have a box you should be able to record to an external hard drive.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My cable box used to support external recording, but the only connections available on the back of the box were analog. So of course it wasn't even worth the bother of plugging it in to see how bad the picture quality might be.

A number of years ago, I "went the other way", converting all of my VHS tapes to digital media. I bought a card that I put in my desktop, and plugged the VCR into that, using a provided app on the PC to make the digital recordings. I also purchased something called WinTV from the same company. That product allows me to play/record OTA TV on my PC. I tried recording a portion of a football game once - the picture quality was fine, but the file was extremely large.

That company might have a product to do what you're looking for:

Hauppauge - TV for your PC!