• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Different conf different expectations

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN article talking WVU's upcoming season

West Virginia has a lot to replace on defense, on the offensive line and at receiver. On top of that, the Mountaineers have somewhat of an unknown in Grier, who though talented, hasn't played for a season-and-a-half. Yet with all that being said, I think the Mountaineers could still be a top 25-caliber team again. As for predicting the record, East Carolina, Delaware State, at Kansas, Texas Tech and Iowa State should be wins. At Oklahoma should be a loss. Which leaves Virginia Tech (in Landover, Maryland), at TCU, at Baylor, Oklahoma State, at Kansas State and Texas as winnable, but also losable games. If the Mountaineers could win, say, four games from that last category, they could be 9-3, which would constitute another terrific season.

9-3 is a successful season in the conf, and IMO 9-3 was not in final seasons of the BE. Just my opinion, but I do not think the cons were equal in any way.

As far as whole blurb, I disagree that online will be hurting...3 returners plus Cajust....I think we are going to be just fine on that side of the ball.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I don't think there are as many questions about the O-line as some imply. When you're not close to the program, you would not know the rotation of talent that has been getting experience over the past few years.

Replacing Orlosky will be huge! It's not like the OL play has been outstanding the past few years anyways. Pass pro has been a consistent problem since Dana's arrival. Hopefully, Will Grier has some Baker Mayfield... Johnny Football... some Treyvon Boykin.... some Patrick Mahomes... in him.

Or, he will suffer injury like all of the other QB's of the past 4 years...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just beat Oklahoma once and expectations will rise.

Same thing I said about Miami in the 80s

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the defense should be better than last year...their were a ton of kids that got plenty of playing time and should be good to go....also #8 should be a Thorpe and Lott Finalist..

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a lot coming back on both offense and defense. The missing piece the past few years has been at QB.

If Grier plays like he did at Florida, we could see expectations rise quickly.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a lot coming back on both offense and defense. The missing piece the past few years has been at QB.

If Grier plays like he did at Florida, we could see expectations rise quickly.

I like the team...would have liked to have Gibson back for one more year...but it is what it is...I actually like the recruiting class they brought in, I don't care where it is ranked..

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good thing about Grier ( cause lets face it he has not played for two seasons) is that he has been here for a season learning the offense. Now if he can complete the passes that Skyler had trouble with, short..mid range, it will really open up the deep ball that Skyler had a decent amount of success. I believe the improved quickness in the slot is going to help and i believe Durant will fill in nicely(or balance out the loss of Gibson w/ other wideouts). The real thing we need to replace on offense is Shorts, we must find that go to guy.

if the defense does have of what is has done the last two seasons it will be a success...We must figure out the CB situation very quickly.I do think we are beginning to see that we can replace through recruiting in the front 6....i think the D line will be fine and Shuler is going to be a player, mark my words. LB's should be solid again....good mix of speed of size. If this team struggles to put pressure on QB....may see another season of shoot outs.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were rumors circulating that Carrier was going to be replaced. I'm glad he will be a part of the program for another year. IMO, the improvement we saw in the number of WR drops was no coincidence. I saw the WR's fighting for the ball much better last year. This resulted in Skyler's completion rate improving last year. So much of the trouble with the offense has been the poor execution of the WR Corps.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were rumors circulating that Carrier was going to be replaced. I'm glad he will be a part of the program for another year. IMO, the improvement we saw in the number of WR drops was no coincidence. I saw the WR's fighting for the ball much better last year. This resulted in Skyler's completion rate improving last year. So much of the trouble with the offense has been the poor execution of the WR Corps.
:agree:

Many times they made Skyler look bad. Too many drops in critical situations over the past couple of years including guys like Kevin White and Tavon. We need a guy like shorts or Steadman who we can count on in those big situations.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good thing about Grier ( cause lets face it he has not played for two seasons) is that he has been here for a season learning the offense. Now if he can complete the passes that Skyler had trouble with, short..mid range, it will really open up the deep ball that Skyler had a decent amount of success. I believe the improved quickness in the slot is going to help and i believe Durant will fill in nicely(or balance out the loss of Gibson w/ other wideouts). The real thing we need to replace on offense is Shorts, we must find that go to guy.

if the defense does have of what is has done the last two seasons it will be a success...We must figure out the CB situation very quickly.I do think we are beginning to see that we can replace through recruiting in the front 6....i think the D line will be fine and Shuler is going to be a player, mark my words. LB's should be solid again....good mix of speed of size. If this team struggles to put pressure on QB....may see another season of shoot outs.

Well the fact that Howard was 5'6" and Grier is 6'2' that should help!!:D:D

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

Many times they made Skyler look bad. Too many drops in critical situations over the past couple of years including guys like Kevin White and Tavon. We need a guy like shorts or Steadman who we can count on in those big situations.

Remember...Tavon was a converted Tailback...........

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the original point of the OP, isn't it interesting to see how differently we project today than during our BE days?

After the traitor schools left in '03, was there a single year when you didn't expect WVU to win the BE... or to win 9 regular season games?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the improved quickness in the slot is going to help and i believe Durant will fill in nicely(or balance out the loss of Gibson w/ other wideouts). The real thing we need to replace on offense is Shorts, we must find that go to guy.

I'd like to see Durante step up and into Gibsons old spot as well but the WR battle is going to be pretty intense this spring and fall. I could see Jennings/Sills/ and potentially Kentucky grad transfer Jeff Badet ( he is down to WVU and OU as his landing spot) all fighting for that spot.