• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Difference Between Chef's Knives

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A good video that explains a lot. Especially if someone is looking to buy a knife.

I think if you are serious enough to want to buy a quality chef's knife then you should teach yourself proper knife skills. Lots of people I have worked with over the years had awful knife skills and yet they went out and bought some expensive Japanese knives with almost no "belly" to them. They never seemed to improve their speed or consistency with a straight edged knife. They didn't understand the differences between the different types of knives out there and what "features" to look for based on what they were using the knife for.

Also, if you do have a quality knife, I suggest you have at least 1 cheap knife to do all of your chopping with so you don't have to beat the shit out of your good knife.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a set of Victorinox Swiss knives. I think they are about as "middle of the road" as you can get when it comes to knives.

660.jpg

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought this one and it has been one of the best purchases I ever made. It’s a really quality knife that won’t break the bank at all. It’s forged and made in Spain instead of Germany. And believe me, it’s fucking sharp. There’s a blunted area on the top of my thumb that can attest to that.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A good video that explains a lot. Especially if someone is looking to buy a knife.

I think if you are serious enough to want to buy a quality chef's knife then you should teach yourself proper knife skills. Lots of people I have worked with over the years had awful knife skills and yet they went out and bought some expensive Japanese knives with almost no "belly" to them. They never seemed to improve their speed or consistency with a straight edged knife. They didn't understand the differences between the different types of knives out there and what "features" to look for based on what they were using the knife for.

Also, if you do have a quality knife, I suggest you have at least 1 cheap knife to do all of your chopping with so you don't have to beat the shit out of your good knife.

What do you like to use to sharpen your knives?

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you like to use to sharpen your knives?
I use a wet stone but only about once a yr. I can get by using just a steel and occasionally I lightly use a simple knife sharpener but the steel usually does the trick.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought this one and it has been one of the best purchases I ever made. It’s a really quality knife that won’t break the bank at all. It’s forged and made in Spain instead of Germany. And believe me, it’s fucking sharp. There’s a blunted area on the top of my thumb that can attest to that.

I always had a hard time keeping an edge on those knives. They aren't my favorite but for those that use them seem to always really like them. They are build to last for sure!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always had a hard time keeping an edge on those knives. They aren't my favorite but for those that use them seem to always really like them. They are build to last for sure!

They’re certainly a softer metal. I hone mine every time I use it. It’s getting close to needing to be sharpened again and I’ve had it for a little over a year.