• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Dallas already draft their Safety?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Chidobe Awuzie our next SS? Some analysts project him there.

That might not be a bad idea...
LCB - Scandrick
RCB - Brown
NCB - Lewis
SS - Awuzie
FS - Jones

Bench CB - Carrol, McFadden
Bench S - Heath, Frazier, Blanton

Looks pretty good to me. A lot of high caliber athletes with lots of speed. This might be the fastest Dallas secondary I can remember.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LCB - Scandrick
RCB - Brown
NCB - Lewis
SS - Awuzie
FS - Jones

Looks pretty good to me. A lot of high caliber athletes with lots of speed. This might be the fastest Dallas secondary I can remember.
I was thinking he's a safety type last night. I also think Lewis will he more of a slot corner, much needed in b todays NFL.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wondered that too. Was there a press conference last night or this morning? Usually the question will be asked and Garrett will be Politically correct, but at least touch on the possible positions the player will be tried at.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually hope we draft jake butt today. Unless he is already gone. As far a abuzie goes he is a stud. I would prefer to see us draft woods as he is a ball hawk.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pulling for Woods Myself and I really like Butts but he will be gone unless we trade up if they draft woods at 133

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Woods in the fold, I wonder if the calculus in the secondary changes at all?

I'm not saying this will happen, but I won't be shocked if it does, consider the possibility of Jones moving back to CB with Woods as the new FS and Awuzie at SS. The one major red flag I see in this scenario is two rookies starting in the back end of the defense, although I wonder if this wouldn't be the best alignment in the long run...

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LCB - Scandrick
RCB - Brown
NCB - Lewis
SS - Awuzie
FS - Jones

You need fast DB's in today's NFL.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Woods in the fold, I wonder if the calculus in the secondary changes at all?

I'm not saying this will happen, but I won't be shocked if it does, consider the possibility of Jones moving back to CB with Woods as the new FS and Awuzie at SS. The one major red flag I see in this scenario is two rookies starting in the back end of the defense, although I wonder if this wouldn't be the best alignment in the long run...
Awuzie is very instinctive and would be great at FS.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As long as they field the best combination of DBs, I really don't care who plays where. With Jones and Awuzie the team has options.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer to leave Jones, let him continue to grow and excel at the position as opposed to having him relearn the corner position.

However if they move him to corner and feel it's the best fit then I trust them.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jones looked much more natural as a FS than CB and his play showed it. Even year one you could see it, so wasn't just the fact that he was more seasoned year 2. I don't see the benefit to moving him. He is approaching All Pro status. We finally got a good center fielder type, leave him where he is and watch him get better and better. Plus, who knows if these draft picks will even be any good. We need someone to win the second safety spot and hopefully Woods will do that. When we go to the nickel and dime I think the depth we expect to have could result in moving some guys around a little more, so maybe you see something like that. Just play the best 5 or 6 and don't worry about position. But I think Jones stays at safety

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones looked much more natural as a FS than CB and his play showed it. Even year one you could see it, so wasn't just the fact that he was more seasoned year 2. I don't see the benefit to moving him. He is approaching All Pro status. We finally got a good center fielder type, leave him where he is and watch him get better and better. Plus, who knows if these draft picks will even be any good. We need someone to win the second safety spot and hopefully Woods will do that. When we go to the nickel and dime I think the depth we expect to have could result in moving some guys around a little more, so maybe you see something like that. Just play the best 5 or 6 and don't worry about position. But I think Jones stays at safety

More or less agree. Moving an established player to potentially accommodate a rookie (who is no guarantee at the position) would not be my preference.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's not get carried away here. I am as big of a fan of Jones as there is on this board, but Jones wasn't even Pro-Bowl last year, and for good reason. There are a lot of good Safeties in the NFL right now, and Jones may have cracked the top-10 last year, but he's not All-Pro, not even close. I think we Cowboys fans have been devoid of good Safety play for so long that we tend to overrate Jones a tad.

IMO Jones is at his best when he's lined up in man coverage on guys, and asked to shadow them - he does this very well. Even last year when Jones was the starting FS, Dallas used him to cover guys throughout games, while Heath played the back end. Jones is often referred to as a "match up weapon" because of his great coverage ability and the fact that he has the size and athleticism to guard just about anyone one-on-one.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the fact that we don't know what these rookies will be as pros - spot on. I put the cart before the horse, but for conversations sake I was assuming these guys will develop as we expect/hope.

Certainly an argument can be made for stability, but I don't think it's a big deal moving a former CB back to CB.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not get carried away here. I am as big of a fan of Jones as there is on this board, but Jones wasn't even Pro-Bowl last year, and for good reason. There are a lot of good Safeties in the NFL right now, and Jones may have cracked the top-10 last year, but he's not All-Pro, not even close. I think we Cowboys fans have been devoid of good Safety play for so long that we tend to overrate Jones a tad.

IMO Jones is at his best when he's lined up in man coverage on guys, and asked to shadow them - he does this very well. Even last year when Jones was the starting FS, Dallas used him to cover guys throughout games, while Heath played the back end. Jones is often referred to as a "match up weapon" because of his great coverage ability and the fact that he has the size and athleticism to guard just about anyone one-on-one.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the fact that we don't know what these rookies will be as pros - spot on. I put the cart before the horse, but for conversations sake I was assuming these guys will develop as we expect/hope.

Certainly an argument can be made for stability, but I don't think it's a big deal moving a former CB back to CB.
Actually meant Pro Bowl, not All Pro. My bad on the typo. But stand by the rest. Think it was coincidence that Mo, Church, Wilcox and Carr (heck maybe even Heath) all played so much better than they did in the past?

Disagree on being at his best in man coverage. He was covering TEs more than WRs and got Schooled a bunch of times inside the 5 for TDs. Was very good in coverage over all of course, but better out in space. Been a long time since we saw a safety cover ground to bail out his teammates like he did on more than one occasion. No chance I'm giving that up.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually meant Pro Bowl, not All Pro. My bad on the typo. But stand by the rest. Think it was coincidence that Mo, Church, Wilcox and Carr (heck maybe even Heath) all played so much better than they did in the past?

Disagree on being at his best in man coverage. He was covering TEs more than WRs and got Schooled a bunch of times inside the 5 for TDs. Was very good in coverage over all of course, but better out in space. Been a long time since we saw a safety cover ground to bail out his teammates like he did on more than one occasion. No chance I'm giving that up.
I agree with you about Jones. I think having him at Safety and Lee healthy for the season took the defense from terrible to average. I think there's a very good chance that by the end of the year, three of our top 5 DB's will be rookies, so having him at safety is a must IMO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you about Jones. I think having him at Safety and Lee healthy for the season took the defense from terrible to average. I think there's a very good chance that by the end of the year, three of our top 5 DB's will be rookies, so having him at safety is a must IMO
Imagine if we hit on all 3 CBs and Woods? That would be incredible for this defense. As we sit here now, unless one of them gets injured, it looks like an all out battle for the last CB spots on the 53.

By the way I totally forgot we signed Blanton from Buffalo as another safety too. Going to be a lot of guys fighting for jobs in the secondary this year.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would love it if Jones stays put. If Brown can up his play a notch then I think a rook could hold down both other CB positions and that is if Orlando slips in play which is a real possibility. Not sure why he would have to play a corner position unless there was a matchup problem on a bigger receiver (Brandon Marshall comes to mind).

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I love about Blanton and Heath is they are 2 vets that will be battling to stay on the roster, you know they're going all out in camp. This will force Woods to step his game up immediately, he's not being handed the job but he should win it.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to inject, like Lee Corso says...Not so fast my friend. Kavon Frazier may give Heath/Blanton more of a battle than Woods. Don't forget about him and don't be surprised if he takes that job.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to wonder if Carroll even makes the team