• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dick LeBeau forced to resign

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure seems like he was. Although it was getting close to that time to make a change it seems like LeBeau only wanted to return for one more season but the Steelers said no. No way to treat a legend. He says he has resigned, NOT retired. Watch him land in Arizona if their D Coordinator goes elsewhere as a head coach.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be considered as a mutual parting in the media. However, just from reading a few articles, it seems forced to me. LeBeau did say that he was "resigning from this position, not retiring". And I also read where he told a few friends that he expected to be in the same role with the Steelers in 2015. Who knows? Maybe the Steelers were going to keep him but change a few other things and he wanted no part of it? Something about this is a bit strange. The guy is 77 and should just retire but he made it clear that his intentions are to keep on coaching.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what your saying. Pittsburgh, since Tomlin came in, wanted to go to a 4-3 and Lebeau didn't want to go there. Without a guy like Hambone to anchore the 3-4 it wont work. Lebeau probably just stepped out instead of being made a fool by the front office.... we have all seen as of recent how the Steelers head office just cuts ties with people and leaves them out in the cold.... and in some intances end up eating crow when they have to call a few back.... like Kiesel and Harrison most recently.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely forced... Same way that Arians "mutually agreed to resign"...

Color me shocked. I really didn't see this one coming. Kind of pissed about it, but what can we do. I wanted to see Lebeau retire as a Steeler, so we would have been in for at least 1 more season with him. Hopefully Tomlin & Co. know what they are doing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure seems like he was. Although it was getting close to that time to make a change it seems like LeBeau only wanted to return for one more season but the Steelers said no. No way to treat a legend. He says he has resigned, NOT retired. Watch him land in Arizona if their D Coordinator goes elsewhere as a head coach.

Writing was on the wall...when Ed Bouchette picked up on a "different vibe" from both Tomlin and LeBeau, when the "annual question" of is this it for LeBeau was asked....I thought it was an indication that the end was coming for Dick LeBeau.

Not to teardown what the man has done and meant to Steeler football, but imo it has been due time for LeBeau to step aside...I wish him nothing but the best if he decides to stay in the NFL...if Bowles leaves AZ, I can see him out there, but if he truly wanted only one more year, Arians would be smart to pick a DC that he can count being there for longer.

I really see him in a consultant role with the Steelers if he doesn't get another DC job.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I've been in favor of moving on from Lebeau, easy to say, but tough to see when it actually happens.

If Tomlin really did force him to resign, I think it speaks something to him taking more ownership of the defense and his staff, which I think is good at this point in his career.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I've been in favor of moving on from Lebeau, easy to say, but tough to see when it actually happens.

If Tomlin really did force him to resign, I think it speaks something to him taking more ownership of the defense and his staff, which I think is good at this point in his career.

I know you have as well as I have...it would've been so much more pleasant if he just retired, but he clearly was not ready to walk away and I get the sense that Tomlin got tired of waiting.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, would have liked to see him retire, and move into a consultant role as you said above.

Leaves a sour taste right, but I think this all passes in time. I really don't see anyone hiring him as DC. What would be interesting is if he goes to ARI to become a defensive consultant there.

Cali Steel

Poster Extraordinaire !!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.18
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, would have liked to see him retire, and move into a consultant role as you said above.

Leaves a sour taste right, but I think this all passes in time. I really don't see anyone hiring him as DC. What would be interesting is if he goes to ARI to become a defensive consultant there.

Yes, the Cardinals....
Steelers of the west.

Muddler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was time. Great coach and person. I hope I am as sharp as he is when I'm 77. Time for him and the Steelers to move on.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Writing was on the wall...when Ed Bouchette picked up on a "different vibe" from both Tomlin and LeBeau, when the "annual question" of is this it for LeBeau was asked....I thought it was an indication that the end was coming for Dick LeBeau.

Not to teardown what the man has done and meant to Steeler football, but imo it has been due time for LeBeau to step aside...I wish him nothing but the best if he decides to stay in the NFL...if Bowles leaves AZ, I can see him out there, but if he truly wanted only one more year, Arians would be smart to pick a DC that he can count being there for longer.

I really see him in a consultant role with the Steelers if he doesn't get another DC job.

Guess I shouldn't doubt Bouchette as much as I do. I've always been skeptical of his stories because they usually don't turn out to be true. I did not pick up on that "different vibe" at all. But wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong.

Yes, we all knew it was about that time for LeBeau to step aside. And I agree with your other post that I think Tomlin was getting a little tired of the waiting game. It's time for some fresh ideas and to wipe the slate clean so-to-speak. Deebo, Polamalu, Ike, and Keisel are almost assuredly not coming back. Their ties to LeBeau are too deep to overcome this move. Wouldn't be surprised to hear each one of them announcing their retirement in the coming weeks.

Glad it's finally happening because we've been preparing for it the last few seasons. We knew it was going to happen, just a matter of when. I hope that they do change to a 4-3. If they do, it's going to take time to get through some growing pains. They have been playing the same 3-4 scheme for decades. Luckily the defense is young so installing a new scheme shouldn't be hard on the players.

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it was the Rooneys, not Tomlin. Sadly, we can all see that the D isn't what it once was. I wish LeBeau all the best. Great man, great coach.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was the Rooneys, not Tomlin. Sadly, we can all see that the D isn't what it once was. I wish LeBeau all the best. Great man, great coach.

Could very well have been 3river, but I think this has Tomlin's fingerprints on it at some level. There were reports that Tomlin was far more "involved" in week to week DEF game planning this season and apparently that has not been the cased in the past.

The curtain falls on every career at some point and I'm hopefully LeBeau has some role in the Steeler organization if not this season...at some point in the future.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I shouldn't doubt Bouchette as much as I do. I've always been skeptical of his stories because they usually don't turn out to be true. I did not pick up on that "different vibe" at all. But wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong.

Yes, we all knew it was about that time for LeBeau to step aside. And I agree with your other post that I think Tomlin was getting a little tired of the waiting game. It's time for some fresh ideas and to wipe the slate clean so-to-speak. Deebo, Polamalu, Ike, and Keisel are almost assuredly not coming back. Their ties to LeBeau are too deep to overcome this move. Wouldn't be surprised to hear each one of them announcing their retirement in the coming weeks.

Glad it's finally happening because we've been preparing for it the last few seasons. We knew it was going to happen, just a matter of when. I hope that they do change to a 4-3. If they do, it's going to take time to get through some growing pains. They have been playing the same 3-4 scheme for decades. Luckily the defense is young so installing a new scheme shouldn't be hard on the players.

I only know his work from afar...from my limited sources...apparently he was right about Gilbert being the 1 on the Steelers draft board LY.

My reason for thinking it was imminent was there was no comment from the FO, no LeBeau will retire a Steeler. etc.

Vets...yep. although Tomlin has been loyal to vets as well, those were LeBeau's guys, they knew and fit the scheme will...if healthy enough to play, he would always lean on them vs a younger player. I think we all know Tuitt would not have seen get that many snaps if Keisel hadn't gotten hurt.

Now that reports have surfaced that Tomlin was a lot more involved in week to week DEF game planning this season...I can see why McCullers played late.

New DC...Butler is supposedly meeting with Tomlin today...if no announcement of him taking over the DC spot this week, that might be a sign that a 4-3 scheme is on the way.