• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Meets Jerry

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that means?

Jerry says:

A. Dez, you need to take a pay cut?

B. Dez, you really need to take a pay cut?

C. Dez, we have no more money to pay you. We are broke?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends how many glasses of wine Jerry has beforehand...

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More likely it will be, "Dez, we have to make it look like you are taking a pay cut. Let's renegotiate your contract so that you get a guaranteed amount that is back-loaded, but a smaller cap hit for the next two years."

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More likely it will be, "Dez, we have to make it look like you are taking a pay cut. Let's renegotiate your contract so that you get a guaranteed amount that is back-loaded, but a smaller cap hit for the next two years."
I am very leery of Jerry getting cute and trying to appease both Dez and the masses with a restructure like that. If we extend Dez with any addt'l guaranteed dollars I am going to be friggin pissed. I'd rather them play out this year "as is" and then cut him next year with only $4M in dead money if he doesn't get significantly better than do something that makes it harder to cut him this year and/or next. If they reduce this years salary by let's say 2-4 million and guarantee this year only I am fine with it because obviously if they restructure in any way he is here in 2018 regardless of what they do. But if they increase the overall potential "dead money" it's another Dallas restructure screw-up and we will pay the price if he doesn't play like a dominant WR.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez is in decline. It would be foolish to negotiate anything other than a pay cut.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be Jerry lets him decide his 2019 fate - he's on the team in 2018. Up to Dez if he wants to be here next year. Pay cut and we keep him both. No pay cut and 2018 is your last ride, while auditioning for your next team. But if you choose that road, you are not guaranteed play time - coaches will let you know on a weekly basis what your role will be.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very leery of Jerry getting cute and trying to appease both Dez and the masses with a restructure like that. If we extend Dez with any addt'l guaranteed dollars I am going to be friggin pissed. I'd rather them play out this year "as is" and then cut him next year with only $4M in dead money if he doesn't get significantly better than do something that makes it harder to cut him this year and/or next. If they reduce this years salary by let's say 2-4 million and guarantee this year only I am fine with it because obviously if they restructure in any way he is here in 2018 regardless of what they do. But if they increase the overall potential "dead money" it's another Dallas restructure screw-up and we will pay the price if he doesn't play like a dominant WR.

I'm leery of it, too, but experience tells me that that's exactly what Jerry will do - get cute and creative to make it look like he accomplished something other than screwing the team over for another few years.

I hope I'm wrong... I hope I'm wrong... I hope I'm wrong...:hope:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be Jerry lets him decide his 2019 fate - he's on the team in 2018. Up to Dez if he wants to be here next year. Pay cut and we keep him both. No pay cut and 2018 is your last ride, while auditioning for your next team. But if you choose that road, you are not guaranteed play time - coaches will let you know on a weekly basis what your role will be.
This is what I'm hoping happens if Dez ends up here this year: 2018 pay cut of let's say $4M and guarantee the rest of the $8.5M for 2018. Then leave 2019 contract totally unchanged. So we save $4M against this years cap and if he has a bad year we can still cut him next year with no additional dead money.

if he has a good year we save $4M this year and need to figure out next year what to do but that is a good problem. From Dez's point of view he gets a guaranteed $8M this year and if he has a good year next year gets his full salary from us or is more marketable next year to other teams if we cut him anyway. Maybe we also promise him we will make a decision by 3/1 so he can start talking to teams before the money dries up.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, if I were in charge, I'm cutting Dez, but that's just me. It makes a ton of sense to do it now. Better to let go early than to hang on too long.

That said, Dez isn't going anywhere. And his contract is not going to be altered.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I'm hoping happens if Dez ends up here this year: 2018 pay cut of let's say $4M and guarantee the rest of the $8.5M for 2018. Then leave 2019 contract totally unchanged. So we save $4M against this years cap and if he has a bad year we can still cut him next year with no additional dead money.

if he has a good year we save $4M this year and need to figure out next year what to do but that is a good problem. From Dez's point of view he gets a guaranteed $8M this year and if he has a good year next year gets his full salary from us or is more marketable next year to other teams if we cut him anyway. Maybe we also promise him we will make a decision by 3/1 so he can start talking to teams before the money dries up.

I have no problem with this. I think this would be better for all. They have to prepare for this year being Dez's last year here.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any reason Dez should be on this team next season.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, if I were in charge, I'm cutting Dez, but that's just me. It makes a ton of sense to do it now. Better to let go early than to hang on too long.

That said, Dez isn't going anywhere. And his contract is not going to be altered.

Glade you are not in charge LOL

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So every team has these conversations with players every year. But only with Jerry is it pre-announced 3 days beforehand and made into a total spectacle. Heck, I bet we even get a video of Dez showing up in his car or walking across the parking lot. Now the pressure is on all do not only decide something, but to decide it quickly and report on it publicly and continue to discuss it for months. Dez, who is a hyper-sensitive and way too concerned with public perception guy is now forced onto the defensive and his pride will now play a huge role in what he agrees to and if he ends up cut it just looks bad for all and will end ugly. This is one of the aspects of Jerry I hate and wish he could see how it hurts his team. Put the friggin spotlight away and just run your team. Somethings are better kept private and we don't all need to know about them or be involved.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So every team has these conversations with players every year. But only with Jerry is it pre-announced 3 days beforehand and made into a total spectacle. Heck, I bet we even get a video of Dez showing up in his car or walking across the parking lot. Now the pressure is on all do not only decide something, but to decide it quickly and report on it publicly and continue to discuss it for months. Dez, who is a hyper-sensitive and way too concerned with public perception guy is now forced onto the defensive and his pride will now play a huge role in what he agrees to and if he ends up cut it just looks bad for all and will end ugly. This is one of the aspects of Jerry I hate and wish he could see how it hurts his team. Put the friggin spotlight away and just run your team. Somethings are better kept private and we don't all need to know about them or be involved.
The media knows the Cowboys move the needle.

Funny thing is, other fans complain about the Cowboys media coverage yet they are a big reason the media talks Cowboys

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be hilarious if Jerry Jones postponed the Dez meeting just to mess with everyone.

I wish I could take credit here but I saw it on twitter.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be hilarious if Jerry Jones postponed the Dez meeting just to mess with everyone.

I wish I could take credit here but I saw it on twitter.
It woul be. Should have done this before Freeagency, but making it a National Event is Jerry's style.