• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2017 Thread

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is a mess....what would be the benefit of winning a crappy division with something like and 83-79 record and getting blown out in the playoffs? So the front office can sit there and say everything is fine and then do nothing (or make stupid moves in the off season) for another year? Yeah...let's get Detroit up above .500 so the front office people's jobs are secure and maybe have another year to listen to "Fire Ausmus".
The only thing I'd like to see in the coming 4-5 weeks is for JD Martinez and Kinsler to get real hot - to increase their trade value - and for a couple of bullpen arms to show enough to get something decent in return for them.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is a mess....what would be the benefit of winning a crappy division with something like and 83-79 record and getting blown out in the playoffs? So the front office can sit there and say everything is fine and then do nothing (or make stupid moves in the off season) for another year? Yeah...let's get Detroit up above .500 so the front office people's jobs are secure and maybe have another year to listen to "Fire Ausmus".
The only thing I'd like to see in the coming 4-5 weeks is for JD Martinez and Kinsler to get real hot - to increase their trade value - and for a couple of bullpen arms to show enough to get something decent in return for them.

Some of the bad contracts on this team started with Dombrowski and Mr. I. The decimation of the minor league system is primarily on Dombrowski. Al Avila compounded the problem of dead money with last year's deals, then was told by the Ilitch family that he couldn't spend anything in 2017. On top of that, your two biggest stars, JV and Miggy -- both of whom had great years in 2016 -- are severely underperforming this year. Put it all together, and it's a cesspool.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the bad contracts on this team started with Dombrowski and Mr. I. The decimation of the minor league system is primarily on Dombrowski. Al Avila compounded the problem of dead money with last year's deals, then was told by the Ilitch family that he couldn't spend anything in 2017. On top of that, your two biggest stars, JV and Miggy -- both of whom had great years in 2016 -- are severely underperforming this year. Put it all together, and it's a cesspool.

See, I don't see what Dombrowski did as decimating the minor league system. Yes he did trade a lot of prospects, but for the most part, they flamed out. There are a few that amounted to something but certainly not as much as what the Tigers acquired.

Now the big failure is that the Tigers have done such a piss poor job of drafting. The minors suck because we haven't drafted well for many years. If you look at the roster today, how many are players drafted by the Tigers? The obvious ones are JV, McCann, Avila, Castellanos, and some fringe guys. That is pretty weak. Of our starting 5 pitchers, only JV was drafted (12-13 years ago?).

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey Knebel - 65 Ks in 37.2 innings. ERA under 1. Closer on a first place team.

Andrew Miller - 57 Ks in 38.2 innings. Era of 1.63. Johnny on the spot for a first place team.

Fernando Rodney- 30 Ks in 27.2 innings. 20 saves for one of the best teams in baseball.

Rick Porcello- defending CYA winner.

Eugenio Suárez - 11 homers and a .364 OBP. Plays a position which we feature the worst defensive player in the game at.

Avi García- hitting .330 with 11 homers for Chicago.

Devan Travis- career .290 hitter for Toronto (Gose is a single A reliever.)

Matt Joyce has 10 homers and an OBP over 330.

Hernan Perez has 10 homers and has started in left, center, right, 2nd, short and third for a first place team this year.

Willy Adames came into the season as the #10 prospect in all of baseball. Having a great year in Durham. He'll be starting for Tampa soon.

Brian Flynn- nice job in KCs bullpen last year. Out with a spinal injury this season.

Curtis Granderson- he's gettin old.

Cam Maybin- replaced Trout, Angels got better. (There's more at play there, but it's true.)

04-07 DD killed it in the first round. JV, Maybin, Miller and Rickey P.
Missed on a couple, didn't have picks a few times and traded everybody else(Jonathon Crawford is pitching in Cincys HighA, he's been hurt since we dealt him.)

I don't think it's been drafting. It's been the crazy amount of trades. Many of them horrible deals. (Robbie Ray is a fuckin stud. We have Shane Greene losing games an inning at a time instead.). Many of them the opposite of horrible.

KRod and Alfredo Simon deals really hurt the franchise. And other than Cy Young winners, starting pitching hasn't been drafted all that well. Traded for well though. Just not always the right guy getting a contract.(Victor, Sanchez, Pelfrey, Upton, Zimmerman.)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DD did chase closers in the draft too much imo.

Ryan Perry might be dumber than Bruce Rondon. And Chance Ruffin quit on his team
Out of nowhere. Never a good idea to draft a reliever high imo.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda am surprised Ausmus wasn't fired today. Seemed like good timing if there was any.

Maybe the higher ups are looking for a new GM first. If you are going to change the Manger and GM, you should change the GM first. Like a lot of other fans, I was expecting Ausmus' head to roll today.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the higher ups are looking for a new GM first. If you are going to change the Manger and GM, you should change the GM first. Like a lot of other fans, I was expecting Ausmus' head to roll today.
As long as Avila doesn't get to fire AND find Ausmus' permanent replacement.

I could see him getting to hand Lloyd the keys for awhile.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Avila doesn't get to fire AND find Ausmus' permanent replacement.

I could see him getting to hand Lloyd the keys for awhile.

Not a huge Lloyd fan ... they need to go outside the organization and change the culture within the clubhouse.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TIGERS LINEUP

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
2. Mikie Mahtook, CF

3. Justin Upton, LF

4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B

5. J.D. Martinez, RF

6. Nick Castellanos, 3B

7. John Hicks, DH

8. James McCann, C

9. Jose Iglesias, SS

SP: Justin Verlander, RHP

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first inning

JV with 21 pitches

5 batters

0 outs

3 ER

da fuck.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers look good tonight

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander rebounded well after terrible first inning. Now the problem is - he probably won't pitch more than 6 innings. Leaving that crappy Tiger bullpen to try and hold a small lead.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Rondon did NOT blow the lead in the 8th. Struck out two batters.

''I feel a disturbance in the force.''