• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Depth Chart Spring ball:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ND started their spring ball. Here are the Depth charts to start camp.

1st Team
QB: split
RB: Split
WR: (X)St Brown, (Z)Hunter, (W)Robinson
TE: Smythe
OL: LT-McGlinchy, LG-Nelson,C-Mustipher,RG-McGovern, RT-Bivin
DL: SDE- Rochell, NG Jones, DT-Tillery, WDE- Trumbetti
LB: SAM: Onwualu, Mike: Morgan, Will: Bilal
DB: Luke, Watkins, SS: Tranquill, FS: Studstill/Redfield

2nd Team:
WR: (X)Holmes, Sanders(Z), Boykin(W)
TE: Jones
OLine: Ruhland, Hoge, Harrell, Bars
Dline: SDE- Bonner, NG- Cage, DT- Treadway, WDE- Blankenship
LB: Barajas worked on 2nd time.

I really like our Secondary this year. I think we will be fine at WR. We know QB and RB position is strong for us. Im interested to see how the Oline plays. We havent had a turnover like this in awhile.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update:

Star player of the Day Holmes. Very impressive day for him.

MZ started with the 1st team but all 3 had their shot with the 1st team.
It was great to see Folston back on the field. He will be trusted this coming year. I think Adams wins the job but Folston will play more in the 4th or goal line situations. Kelly trusts the Vet. Adams looks faster and bigger if you can even imagine that. Justin Brent finally looks like a RB. TE Jones looks great. Big step from year 1 they say.

St Brown is going to be special. Look out for Hunter. We saw at the end of last year. This kid will take off this year. Stepherson keep an eye on. Will surprise some people.

On D the Dline looks ready for a Big season. Dont expect many teams to run on this front 4.
Its great to hear good news about Morgan. He is up to 250Lbs and speed is there. He looks like a beast they say. His 1st step has improved big time. He isnt thinking any more.
Bilal is looks like he wants to hurt someone. Expect big things from him.
Great to see Crawford back out there. CB position is in good hands with Luke, Watkins and Crawford.
Tranquill looks healthy after 2 major Knee injuries. He was flying around. Overall Secondary should be in great shape.
The 1 Big shocker was EE Studstill splitting 1st team reps with Max Redfield.

EE: most impressive EE ND has had they say. These guys look ready to play. Studstill and Hayes looks great.

The 1 Big question is will ND get pressure on the QB. If not it doesnt matter if you have a good secondary or good front 4 that can stop the run. You need to get pressure at the QB.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good stuff purguy.

Moving McGlincey to LT makes sense. I am surprised Bars isn't with the ones though. He was 1a at LG last year with Q Nelson. I thought they'd shift him to RG or RT as he has more upside than Bivin, but should be an interesting battle. I like our depth at OL.

Also, any word on Montelus at DL?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good stuff purguy.

Moving McGlincey to LT makes sense. I am surprised Bars isn't with the ones though. He was 1a at LG last year with Q Nelson. I thought they'd shift him to RG or RT as he has more upside than Bivin, but should be an interesting battle. I like our depth at OL.

Also, any word on Montelus at DL?
They say its because he isn't 100% healthy yet. He will be come summer camp.

Yes he went to the Dline. Also one of the Dlinemen went to TE. I forgot who.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say its because he isn't 100% healthy yet. He will be come summer camp.

Yes he went to the Dline. Also one of the Dlinemen went to TE. I forgot who.
That would be Matuska to TE.

Also, Randolph retired (injury) and Baratti and John Turner are done.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update on Spring ball. Some bad news to start off.
We lost WR/SLOT CJ Sanders to an Hip injury. He is out until August.
Safety M. Williams will transfer. EE freshmen have jumped him.

Spring practice update after 1 week:
1st team:
QB- MZ
RB- Adams/Folston
WR- Hunter Jr, Holmes, and E St Brown: Big change Robinson not with #1's
TE- Smythe and Weishar
OL: LT McGlinchy, LG Q. Nelson, C S.Mustipher, RG Hoge, RT Bivin: Big news here is Hoge. Coaches are saying its tough not to get him in there. He is in the Top 5 of the OL. Expect Bars to take over RT soon. This Oline is going to be really good.
2nd Team
QB- Kizer
RB- Williams and Brent
WR- Omar Hunter, Stepherson, Finke. Bad news no robinson again. He might be fading.
TE- Jones
OL: Byrne, Ruhland, Harrell, Bush, and Bars

Sidenote: Boykin and Sanders did not practice.

Other Info:
-Studstill is for real. Watch out for this EE. Will get playing time. Spence Perry looking really well. Another EE. -Max Redfield might lose his spot. He might be our next Farley(Play when we need him).
Shawn Crawford is pushing for a starting spot. Luke is ND #1 at CB.
-EE Kareem is starting to get use to college speed and by the time Fall starts watch out.
-Nice improvements Bilal and Morgan.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Robinson is out with a concussion

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Robinson is out with a concussion
Yea I just heard about that. I still think he fades away on the Depth Chart. Good kid but he is missing something on the football field. He really hasnt gotten better in the 3 years.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not getting my hopes up for the OL, I did that last yr..LOL. I am just going to enjoy the ride!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update 4/116

1st team:
QB-Zaire
RB- Adams/Folston
WR-Holmes, Hunter, St Brown
TE-Weisher and Smythe
OL (L to R); McGlinchey, Nelson, Mustipher, Bivin and Bars
LB- Anwualu(sam), Morgan(Mike), Bilal(Will)
Safety- Tranquill(SS), Studstill(FS)
CB- Watkins and Luke
Nickelback- Crawford

2ndTeam:
QB- Kizer
RB- Williams
WR- Boykin, Stepherson, Finke
TE- Jones
OL: Byrne, Ruhland, Hoge, Harrell, McGovern

Sidenotes: Holmes is looking really good. They cant wait to see him during games.
Adams and Folston is looking scary good as a combo. If healthy this group can be one of the best in the country.
Good signs from LB Morgan. He is staring to take the leader role. Its starting to click for him.
Tranquill is really good. If he didnt have those 2 injuries he might be talked about as one of the best in the country this year.
Benefits from EE, you can see it from studstill and Perry. These guys have a good shot to start over Max.
Tillery struggling with the 3 Technique move. Lets hope he improves.
ND found a nice role/bench player in Bonner. He will be in the rotation.
Kareem is about a year away from doing anything. He will be here for Depth just in case.
Player to watch this year in Jarron Jones. Expect big things from him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update 4/6

ND has a lot of weapons at WR. 2 best players might be a Freshmen and a Soph in St. Brown and Stepherson. Also throw in Hunter Jr who is having a great spring. Also don't forget about Holmes.

QB race is still neck and neck but some are feeling MZ has the lead.

Max looks like he might lose his starting spot. look for him to take Farely spot. Come in when the team needs him.

Left side of the line and Center look really good and strong. Left side will be our anchor. Right side is good but up to the left side yet. Overall still a strong unit as a whole.

On D hayes looks legit. He isn't doing contact drills yet but overall looks great. Studstill still holding down the starting job. This kid looks to be really good. Its Tranquill and Studstill at the starting safety spots.

Overall the surprise that some fans might see this year is a lot of young guys playing and starting. Wouldn't be shocked to see 5-8 Freshmen to Soph starting or in important roles.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update 4/6

ND has a lot of weapons at WR. 2 best players might be a Freshmen and a Soph in St. Brown and Stepherson. Also throw in Hunter Jr who is having a great spring. Also don't forget about Holmes.

QB race is still neck and neck but some are feeling MZ has the lead.

Max looks like he might lose his starting spot. look for him to take Farely spot. Come in when the team needs him.

Left side of the line and Center look really good and strong. Left side will be our anchor. Right side is good but up to the left side yet. Overall still a strong unit as a whole.

On D hayes looks legit. He isn't doing contact drills yet but overall looks great. Studstill still holding down the starting job. This kid looks to be really good. Its Tranquill and Studstill at the starting safety spots.

Overall the surprise that some fans might see this year is a lot of young guys playing and starting. Wouldn't be shocked to see 5-8 Freshmen to Soph starting or in important roles.
If that's true then Van Gorder better get his head out of his ass, devise a base defense and dumb his scheme down A LOT.

Seriously, they say with a straight face it takes at least two full years to get the "system." That's way to F'ing long, and in some cases like Redfield, you wonder if they'll ever "get it." A lot of natural talent has been wasted the past two years not letting these guys play on instinct and instead over-thinking their assignments.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's true then Van Gorder better get his head out of his ass, devise a base defense and dumb his scheme down A LOT.

Seriously, they say with a straight face it takes at least two full years to get the "system." That's way to F'ing long, and in some cases like Redfield, you wonder if they'll ever "get it." A lot of natural talent has been wasted the past two years not letting these guys play on instinct and instead over-thinking their assignments.
If that is actually true about a full two years to get the system the guy should have been shit canned yesterday.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is actually true about a full two years to get the system the guy should have been shit canned yesterday.
Yeah, I know. Its the Charlie Weis problem for defense. My big problem with Weis was his "decided schemeatic advantage" meant too much chalk time and not enough field work or gym work. The NCAA limits the amount of practice, and you can't translate the way you teach pros to college for that reason. Profoessionals spend all day and night reviewing this stuff and film, etc, and still have time to run drills and work out because its their job. These kids have class, study hall, etc., and hours limtiations on practice. Weis's teams were notoriously soft because there wasn't an emphasis on physicality, but on learning his great "system."

How many times did we watch guys stunting OUT OF the play, and the RB takes the ball 80 yards to the house up the middle.

I think just let them run around and play on instinct, especially if you have the atheletes, Morgan, Coney, Studstill, Crawford, Redfield free them up and let them play. Too much time thinking about where to line up, where to go, and they will be late getting there and ill prepared to make the stop.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I been saying he should of be gone after this last year. ND had the offense and the D lost every game for us.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know. Its the Charlie Weis problem for defense. My big problem with Weis was his "decided schemeatic advantage" meant too much chalk time and not enough field work or gym work. The NCAA limits the amount of practice, and you can't translate the way you teach pros to college for that reason. Profoessionals spend all day and night reviewing this stuff and film, etc, and still have time to run drills and work out because its their job. These kids have class, study hall, etc., and hours limtiations on practice. Weis's teams were notoriously soft because there wasn't an emphasis on physicality, but on learning his great "system."

How many times did we watch guys stunting OUT OF the play, and the RB takes the ball 80 yards to the house up the middle.

I think just let them run around and play on instinct, especially if you have the atheletes, Morgan, Coney, Studstill, Crawford, Redfield free them up and let them play. Too much time thinking about where to line up, where to go, and they will be late getting there and ill prepared to make the stop.

I don't think that Charlie's problem was that the offense was too complicated, it was that the defense stunk. We could score points (most of the time), but we couldn't stop anyone. We went from D-coordinators that never blitzed to one (Tenuta) that blitzed all the time. And it all started by his taking over for Willingham, a head coach that only recruited skill players and hadn't recruited any defensive players, or offensive linemen for two years before Weis Showed up.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when one of Weis's teams played at Stanford (might have been his last year). I think the game was tied, time was running out, Stanford was poised to eat clock and score with no time left. Notre Dame, rather than try to play defense, decides to let Stanford score so there would be enough time for ND to score one more time to win the game. Obviously that failed and I think that game summed up Weis's ND coaching career. Arrogance for the offense and acknowledging the defense sucks.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when one of Weis's teams played at Stanford (might have been his last year). I think the game was tied, time was running out, Stanford was poised to eat clock and score with no time left. Notre Dame, rather than try to play defense, decides to let Stanford score so there would be enough time for ND to score one more time to win the game. Obviously that failed and I think that game summed up Weis's ND coaching career. Arrogance for the offense and acknowledging the defense sucks.
Yep. Toby Gearhart's senior year. They couldn't stop him, and unless they let him score, they would have run out the clock. That's embarrassing. Fast forward to last year, we should have milked the clock more before scoring, because quick show of hands, how many were nervous that there was enough time for Stanford to score. Two plays later, kicking the game winner.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Charlie's problem was that the offense was too complicated, it was that the defense stunk. We could score points (most of the time), but we couldn't stop anyone. We went from D-coordinators that never blitzed to one (Tenuta) that blitzed all the time. And it all started by his taking over for Willingham, a head coach that only recruited skill players and hadn't recruited any defensive players, or offensive linemen for two years before Weis Showed up.
Well, I think it was complicated enough where they weren't focusing on conditioning. We had some 4*-5* recruits on that offensive line that got pushed around a lot (Sam Young, Dan Wenger, etc.)

Weis certainly lacked any attention to detail on defense, the whole co-coordinators with Tenuta and Brown was a steaming hot mess too.

Last, I think Weis was a guy that made promises to certain players that they would start no matter what. There was definitely an entitlement mentality when Kelly took over (and I'm not a huge Kelly fan, but that's one thing I think he broke upon taking over was that culture of entitlement).

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I started to watch some clips of Spring practice. Not sure how many are on Facebook, but there is Irish page that posts highlights from that day's practice. I really think these WR/TE are the best group we have had in a long time. We know the QB's can play. But man the speed they have is pretty sweet.

-ESB looks like he is going to be the next great WR in all of college. Tall, fast, great hands. Going to be huge when we need a "go to guy" for that crucial play.
-Hunter Jr is looking all the part of the 2nd WR. He just has what it takes to get it done.
-Holmes speed is going to come in pretty handy. Not much clips on him.
-Stepenson....I am telling you right now, this kid is going to put up some serious numbers. He is so quick with his cuts, forget anyone trying to cover him 1on1...No way in hell a LB can cover him in the slot. He hands are even better than his cutting ability. The kid is going to be good.
-Jones should be a top TE this yr, if we actually use them. Kid is just gifted as an athlete and no LB can cover him.
-RB should be a dam good group is we can stay healthy.

Defense looking good too. I know it's spring camp, but you can tell there are more athletes on the field this yr. I saw a clip of the DL standing around and having some laughs. Man, are these some big ass boys!! I like seeing that. Does not look like they will get pushed around this yr. Gotta love it.

-Morgan looks much better. I saw a few times where he had coverage down the middle of the field and had some nice break ups. Just shows his athletic ability there.
-Luke looks the part once again.
-Crawford looks like he is going to be dam good. He is always around the ball making plays.