• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Denard Span to the Nationals

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Meyer, the 23rd overall selection of the 2011 draft, pitched well in 2012, his lone season as a pro. He pitched at Class A, posting a 2.86 ERA with 9.7 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 129 innings. The 6'9" 22-year-old might rank sixth among Twins prospects, John Manuel of Baseball America notes"

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PC - Now that the steroids-era is finally winding down some, pitching is the main force again. That was proved in the W.S. when the Giants shut-down the Tigers big bats. Having said that, does it mean that the Twins are moving back to a pitching-dominated team? I don't know. A move like the Meyer trade tells me that we can expect a long wait. This Twins organization is really out of whack right now and it is so hard to get back on track in the MLB these days. BUTTTT.....there is a lot of time before S.T. and the trading deadlines, maybe Terry Ryan can pull a rabbit out of his hat for 2013......maybe.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denard Span was one of my favorite players. I had the chance to meet him at spring training a few years ago. Standup guy. I would have loved him roaming center in Flushing.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PC - Now that the steroids-era is finally winding down some, pitching is the main force again. That was proved in the W.S. when the Giants shut-down the Tigers big bats. Having said that, does it mean that the Twins are moving back to a pitching-dominated team? I don't know. A move like the Meyer trade tells me that we can expect a long wait. This Twins organization is really out of whack right now and it is so hard to get back on track in the MLB these days. BUTTTT.....there is a lot of time before S.T. and the trading deadlines, maybe Terry Ryan can pull a rabbit out of his hat for 2013......maybe.

That's what I am thinking. We could be looking at another losing season or two while they gather up young talent and build from the ground up. Maybe they will be back on top by 2015.. :madgrin:

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denard Span was one of my favorite players. I had the chance to meet him at spring training a few years ago. Standup guy. I would have loved him roaming center in Flushing.

He was a great leadoff guy and reliable in CF. Will miss him for sure.

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He was a great leadoff guy and reliable in CF. Will miss him for sure.

pc - Not sure how I got to the screen that I'm replying to you on right now, but here goes.

Span is a true role-player type-guy for a team with lots of tools. He might just fit very well in DC but he won't be a difference maker day by day like Willy is , by any means. I envision a guy like Span making a game-saving catch in a dramatic WS game 7 and being remembered for that. He's a good player and deserves to go to a better club where his talents are better used.

You and I have always agreed on a lot of things, so we must be somewhat of the same mind-set. I think the Twins are really spiraling down into an abyss like they did in the 70's and 90's. I see no quick fix. What do you think?

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say they don't have enough of what it takes to begin with to bother trying to win now. So they are working to win in the future. Unfortunately it seems to be the only way to go right now. It is what it is man!

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know that when ST starts down here I'm gonna have a hard time recognizing anyone in a Twins "uni." Back to the beer stand!

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that when ST starts down here I'm gonna have a hard time recognizing anyone in a Twins "uni." Back to the beer stand!

Time to acquaint yourself with some new players buck. Meeting new people can be a good thing.

As long as there's enough beer there will be plenty to talk about.

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PC - I don't know if I ever told you this, but that stadium in my avatar is the Twins Spring Training home down here in Ft. Myers. The photo was taken during one of our Twins minor league team's games. The Ft. Myers Miracle is their name and they are only a class A team. I think Baby J's brother is the coach now. I know his last name is Mauer but I can't remember his first name. If it ain't raining during the game, it's 98 deg. with 100% "humi-ditty", just right for baseball, sunflower seeds, and 2-1 beers in the tiki-hut way down the 1B line!!

Bill Murray used to own the team 4-5 yrs. ago, truly! One year, as a treat for us fans, he held a World Title match for midget-wrestling after the final game of the season. The joint was packed! There was beer everywhere....just perfect!! Somehow, the manager of the challenger got hold of a metal garbage can near the ring and tossed it into the ring. The challenger got hold of it and cold-cocked the Champ to win the Title. Most of us were outraged and we charged-off to a bar nearby after drinking all the beers we had left in our coolers. Wouldn't you know it, the two wrestlers were sitting at the bar drinking together! I believe in "burying the hatchet" as much as the next guy but I didn't like that 1-bit! Looked awfully suspicious to me!

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds awesome buck. Can't go wrong with midget wrasslin'.

I have heard of Bill Murray having ties to baseball teams. I think for a while (if not still) he was owner or part owner of the St. Paul Saints who play in the Northern League with my Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks. I think my parents even saw him at a game in St. Paul that they traveled to watch while my brother was playing for the Redhawks.

Now there is another team in the Northern League division that is owned by Kevin Costner but I can't remember which one right now. Thought they might have been called the Fielders but not sure. Anyway if I had their financial situations I'd probably be doing the same thing.

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crack me up, PC! I actually went to a number of Saints games when they first opened up. One of my best friends had the contract to make the caps for them. Come to think of it, I gotta call him and see what he's doin'.

Yup, Bill Murray was a baseball nut. If I'm not mistaken, Mike Veeck was the original owner of the Saints. I met Mike Veeck at a Saints function, quite an entrepreneur. His Dad was Bill Veeck, who once owned, I believe, the Indians and did all kinds of wacky things like putting a midget in as a pinch-hitter in an actual MLB game. A rule was quickly implemented by MLB to not allow such moves. Old man Veeck only had 1-leg, I can't remember if it was cancer or a war-injury that got the other one. I 'spose I coulda googled all this stuff up as I'm writing to you but I'm really pressed for time.

Gotta go!!