• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Denard Robinson is Getting a Try-Out at Mini-Camp

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He makes for good competition. I could see him usurping both Carey and Langford.

I would be fine with that. At this point, we know that both Carey and Langford are very unspectacular. They're both serviceable 2nd/3rd RB's, but for a change of pace or 3rd down back. Robinson would bring an explosiveness and big play ability that Carey/Langford simply don't have. As does Cohen.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Carey. He runs bigger than he is.
That's too bad. He's probably getting cut within the next year or two. He's really nothing special. I see Robinson taking the back up job this year with the rookie being the 3rd down back.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Carey. He runs bigger than he is.

I honestly don't recall him ever having a single memorable run, or noticeable broken tackle. He's fine and an okay backup, but he doesn't really bring much to the table. He also doesn't add anything on special teams. One assist on a tackle in three seasons.

Let's also remember that he's an Emery guy. That's been a damning label for everyone in the Pace era, not named Willie Young.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's too bad. He's probably getting cut within the next year or two. He's really nothing special. I see Robinson taking the back up job this year with the rookie being the 3rd down back.

I honestly don't recall him ever having a single memorable run, or noticeable broken tackle. He's fine and an okay backup, but he doesn't really bring much to the table. He also doesn't add anything on special teams. One assist on a tackle in three seasons.

Let's also remember that he's an Emery guy. That's been a damning label for everyone in the Pace era, not named Willie Young.

Cool story.

I'd keep him over Langford.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing one. Cunningham.

Forgot we signed him. Hard to envision him making the roster, IMO. Unless we really are done with both Langford and Carey. It certainly does seem to be open competition after Howard. Also, I am assuming Cohen has a roster spot locked up, barring something extremely odd occurring.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... I don't see Carey making the team. This time last year Langford was our starter and a Pace pick. He's got at least one more year. I don't think Robinson is anything more than a tryout look... as possibly a special teamer... he's not likely to stick either. IMO.
Howard, Langford, Cohen, Cunningham (if he can show ST ability, and if they keep 4... Cohen could potentially be placed on the practice squad too... if he doesn't show too much in preseason, but I like his change of pace ability.
They also picked up a FB as a college FA... and cut our other guy who didn't play much. Practice Squad.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... I don't see Carey making the team. This time last year Langford was our starter and a Pace pick. He's got at least one more year. I don't think Robinson is anything more than a tryout look... as possibly a special teamer... he's not likely to stick either. IMO.
Howard, Langford, Cohen, Cunningham (if he can show ST ability, and if they keep 4... Cohen could potentially be placed on the practice squad too... if he doesn't show too much in preseason, but I like his change of pace ability.
They also picked up a FB as a college FA... and cut our other guy who didn't play much. Practice Squad.

Langford lost touches last year to Carey. Seemed to maybe even fall out of favor with the coaches.

You're probably right, but as I stated, I'd rather have Carey.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't get the feeling that we drafted Cohen to sit on the practice squad. I think he's going to get reps. I don't know if Cunningham has a great shot of making it. I think Carey/Langford both would be in front of him.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the feeling that we drafted Cohen to sit on the practice squad. I think he's going to get reps. I don't know if Cunningham has a great shot of making it. I think Carey/Langford both would be in front of him.

Cunningham is an above-average returner too. His special teams contributions may keep him on the roster.

It should be interesting. Langford has a better resume, but I think Carey was a touch more effective last year on less opportunities.

Langford had almost twice as many attempts(62 to 32) and only 74 more yards. Not much, I suppose, but 3.9 seems a lot better than 3.2. I felt Langford really struggled in his sophomore year, after a fairly electric debut season. He seemed indecisive and scared. Carey ran tough. I think it was Long who stated that everyone knows when Carey is the RB in practice, without even looking, just by the contact sound being made...most the team has said he delivers the strike most of the time.

I wonder if you could anything of value for Langford in a trade. I'd consider it, if so..(if it were me)

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cunningham is an above-average returner too. His special teams contributions may keep him on the roster.

It should be interesting. Langford has a better resume, but I think Carey was a touch more effective last year on less opportunities.

Langford had almost twice as many attempts(62 to 32) and only 74 more yards. Not much, I suppose, but 3.9 seems a lot better than 3.2. I felt Langford really struggled in his sophomore year, after a fairly electric debut season. He seemed indecisive and scared. Carey ran tough. I think it was Long who stated that everyone knows when Carey is the RB in practice, without even looking, just by the contact sound being made...most the team has said he delivers the strike most of the time.

I wonder if you could anything of value for Langford in a trade. I'd consider it, if so..(if it were me)

Really think you're overvaluing the hell out of Langford if you think that. Finding a RB who can rush for 3.2 YPC is pretty easy.

I did forget Cunningham was a return man though.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really think you're overvaluing the hell out of Langford if you think that. Finding a RB who can rush for 3.2 YPC is pretty easy.

I did forget Cunningham was a return man though.

I wonder if you could get(sic) anything of value for Langford in a trade. I'd consider it, if so..(if it were me)

Really think you're overstating what I said.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if you could get(sic) anything of value for Langford in a trade. I'd consider it, if so..(if it were me)

Really think you're overstating what I said.

Really think you're overvaluing the hell out of Langford if you think that.

... Really think you're overstating, my overstatement of your overvaluing.

385.gif

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, but we just signed 3-4 slot guys...

I think we're planning on really having an open competition for the 3rd RB spot. I think Langford and Carey are going to have to earn their roster spot, and there's probably only one. Howard, Cohen and (insert job winner here). Then, possibly a practice squad guy if they clear waivers after camp. Langford and Carey face an uphill battle as well, since they don't bring anything to the table on SPT's. While Cunningham has covered kicks and returned them.

It doesn't appear that we're going to sign Robinson... Mini-Camp has been over for a few days. It's possible if Cohen or Howard get injured that we bring him in.