• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DeMarcus Cousins to the Pelicans is the new big NBA trade rumor

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the Pelicans, I would go to teams like Dallas that are looking to dump vets for future picks and add a shooter or two. Just 2 games out of playoffs

True but do they really want to go in that direction? The only playoff spot they can obtain is #8 which likely means a quick exit vs the Warriors. Wouldn't it be better for them to not trade the picks & still have an outside shot of getting the top 3 pick in the lottery? The exception would be if you believe that the players they trade for help them long term.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's under contract for next year. Though, I get confused between the different sports that have clauses for trades that can void years or add money to the salary.

DeMarcus Cousins

You are correct - he is not a FA until after next season (see link).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, would have loved to have seen Boogie come to Charlotte. We would have gladly offered all of our tall, big, goofy white guys for him! :-D Plumlee, Kaminsky and Zeller together!

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but do they really want to go in that direction? The only playoff spot they can obtain is #8 which likely means a quick exit vs the Warriors. Wouldn't it be better for them to not trade the picks & still have an outside shot of getting the top 3 pick in the lottery? The exception would be if you believe that the players they trade for help them long term.
I don't think they can trade this year's #1 as it was attached in the trade, granted with lottery protection, which further shows Vlade is on crack. I wouldn't necessarily dump the future, but there are some players out there who could really help them that they could get by just taking on salary

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they can trade this year's #1 as it was attached in the trade, granted with lottery protection, which further shows Vlade is on crack. I wouldn't necessarily dump the future, but there are some players out there who could really help them that they could get by just taking on salary

Agree if you are talking about players who can help them in the future. I was just maintaining that I don't think that it is worth it for a one and done playoff appearance.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now we know why Buddy grabbed Cousins' crotch so hard. He was trying to send Cousins to the injury reserve so he wouldn't be traded to the Kings.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jrue talent can not be understated, he has been hurt, but he is a fine PG talent that has shown flashes of elite potential. But he dont play D lol
Like I said earlier, he's glass. And he's really a dime a dozen. He's not an elite PG in this league and never will be (think curry, Westbrook, Paul, Lillard, etc.). He's one of the many good starting caliber PGs in the league. He really doesn't give the Pelicans much of an advantage over anybody.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Want Mozgov?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrible trade for the Kings.....they could have gotten a better offer.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelicans are a couple shooters away from being a 54-57 win team next year. If Jrue can stay healthy and you've got 2 of the 10 best players in the league you could really do some damage

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm serious dude... The Pelicans gave away the ranch.
You have a contrarian take on things and therefore must be an insightful, independent thinker. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter and/or blog.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm serious dude... The Pelicans gave away the ranch.

He could very well leave after next season. There is no real advantage to stay with New Orleans (other than playing with Davis) for Cousins, as the trade killed that $30M re-signing advantage the current team usually holds. Giving up potentially two lottery picks (counting Hield) for a year and a half of Boogie Cancer could end up being a HUGE overpay.

Reactions: GNG

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelicans are a couple shooters away from being a 54-57 win team next year. If Jrue can stay healthy and you've got 2 of the 10 best players in the league you could really do some damage

This is the first season that Cousins has managed to top 30 wins, and Davis has only been over .500 once. Projecting mid-50s could be a bit overconfident IMO.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could very well leave after next season. There is no real advantage to stay with New Orleans (other than playing with Davis) for Cousins, as the trade killed that $30M re-signing advantage the current team usually holds. Giving up potentially two lottery picks (counting Hield) for a year and a half of Boogie Cancer could end up being a HUGE overpay.

He is from just down the road -- Mobile, AL. Apparently the Pelicans think they can get him to re-sign.

BUT -- Boogie is probably really pissed right now. He feels like he did the Kings a favor by committing to them (extension this summer) -- then they dumped him. I think he could do anything. (he was also indecisive when choosing a college)

It is 1-1/2 years away. He could do something like join the Lakers (to play the Kings as much as possible and rub it in their noses) ... or jump to a good team to show people he can play with a winner. (but I'm sure he wants to get paid ... $150M or so at least .. probably more) Charlotte isn't that far from Alabama.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is from just down the road -- Mobile, AL. Apparently the Pelicans think they can get him to re-sign.

BUT -- Boogie is probably really pissed right now. He feels like he did the Kings a favor by committing to them (extension this summer) -- then they dumped him. I think he could do anything. (he was also indecisive when choosing a college)

It is 1-1/2 years away. He could do something like join the Lakers (to play the Kings as much as possible and rub it in their noses) ... or jump to a good team to show people he can play with a winner. (but I'm sure he wants to get paid ... $150M or so at least .. probably more) Charlotte isn't that far from Alabama.

Be careful what you ask for though. For all his talent, he hasn't won and is a coach killer.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first season that Cousins has managed to top 30 wins, and Davis has only been over .500 once. Projecting mid-50s could be a bit overconfident IMO.
Not as currently comprised but you can add decent spot up shooters for cheap. There isn't a better front court in the league now and both guys are capable of playing outside the post which adds a load of flexibility. The key is to keep Jrue healthy it to get a pass first point guard. Honestly if I'm the Pelicans I maybe make a move for Rondo. I know that sounds crazy but joining 2 other UK guys may help him and if you can get him cheap you can spend a little it some shooters.