• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DeMarcus Cousins to the Pelicans is the new big NBA trade rumor

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sacramento Kings have discussed trading center DeMarcus Cousins to the New Orleans Pelicans, according to The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski, in a deal that would pair one All-Star big man with another. In exchange, the Kings would receive rookie shooter Buddy Hield and multiple first-round draft picks, according to Basketball Insiders’ Michael Scotto.

A deal does not appear to be close yet, and the Kings denied Cousins is being traded, though they conceded teams are reaching out about his availability.

Follow
Jason Jones

✔@mr_jasonjones

I'm told DeMarcus Cousins (still) is not being traded, even as teams inquire about his availability. Nothing's changed

3:32 PM - 19 Feb 2017 · New Orleans, LA

The report follows the Kings’ front office vow not to trade their most talented offensive player ahead of the Feb. 23 NBA trade deadline. Sacramento management met with Cousins’ representatives in early February, according to ESPN.com’s Marc Stein, and insisted the front office had not made their big man available on the trade market.

"We're not trading DeMarcus (Cousins)," Vlade Divac told ESPN.com’s Marc Stein in early February. "We hope he's here for a long time."

Cousins’ agent told The Vertical “nothing has changed” since meeting with Kings management.

The report also comes soon after Boogie’s public wish to sign a contract extension with the Kings. Cousins can sign a five-year deal worth $219 million when free agency strikes July 1 to remain in Sacramento. The 26-year-old center said he wants his "jersey to be in the rafters in Sacramento,” according to ESPN.com’s Ramona Shelburne.

“I'm very happy," he said. "It's where I want to be."

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No longer a rumor. Boogie is a pelican

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. I need time to process this because good lord does this look stupid for the Kings. Literally every rumored offer I've ever seen for Boogie is better than this deal. Why the fuck did they agree to this? Did they blackmail Vlade?

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised because LOLKINGS. Their front office is a mess

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. I need time to process this because good lord does this look stupid for the Kings. Literally every rumored offer I've ever seen for Boogie is better than this deal. Why the fuck did they agree to this? Did they blackmail Vlade?

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised because LOLKINGS. Their front office is a mess
Honestly, it's a bad trade for the kings, but it could turn out to be a bad trade for the pelicans too. They now have a glass PG, wings that would be coming off the bench, and a beastly front court. I don't think this puts them over the top and boogie could be gone after this year. I also don't put any stock into rumors like that.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, it's a bad trade for the kings, but it could turn out to be a bad trade for the pelicans too. They now have a glass PG, wings that would be coming off the bench, and a beastly front court. I don't think this puts them over the top and boogie could be gone after this year. I also don't put any stock into rumors like that.

Boogie is a free agent in 2018, not this summer I think. Regardless of Boogie and AD can play together (I'm actually 50/50 on this), its a coup for NO. They can just trade Boogie again if need be and they'll still get more than they gave up (which is basically nothing). It's a win/win for them.

Also, I'm reading the 2017 picks NO gave up has lottery protections. WTF!?! The Kings stupidity is just amazing

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boogie is a free agent in 2018, not this summer I think. Regardless of Boogie and AD can play together (I'm actually 50/50 on this), its a coup for NO. They can just trade Boogie again if need be and they'll still get more than they gave up (which is basically nothing). It's a win/win for them.

Also, I'm reading the 2017 picks NO gave up has lottery protections. WTF!?! The Kings stupidity is just amazing
You're right, although it'll be challenging to get another guy on that team and they really need at least another guy on that team.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marc Stein: But DeMarcus Cousins’ agent Jarinn Akana tells ESPN that Cousins is unlikely to sign a summer extension with any team that trades for him

– viaTwitter ESPNSteinLine

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, although it'll be challenging to get another guy on that team and they really need at least another guy on that team.
Jrue talent can not be understated, he has been hurt, but he is a fine PG talent that has shown flashes of elite potential. But he dont play D lol

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh cool, so it looks like i dont need to watch another game this year.
I kid, buddy hield is one of my favorite players, just wish the kings could have gotte more.

LeChuck421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm pretty sure he's a UFA this summer. Which is why I didn't want the Suns to trade everything for him.

I read the protections as to why the Celts or Suns didn't trade for him, the Kings wanted a lottery pick and didn't want top 3/5 protections on them so that they wouldn't transfer this year. NO with a top 3/5 protection will likely transfer to SAC.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone needs to fold the King's franchise. Vivek is straight up committing terrorism in Sac Town.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure he's a UFA this summer. Which is why I didn't want the Suns to trade everything for him.

I read the protections as to why the Celts or Suns didn't trade for him, the Kings wanted a lottery pick and didn't want top 3/5 protections on them so that they wouldn't transfer this year. NO with a top 3/5 protection will likely transfer to SAC.

He's under contract for next year. Though, I get confused between the different sports that have clauses for trades that can void years or add money to the salary.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the Pelicans, I would go to teams like Dallas that are looking to dump vets for future picks and add a shooter or two. Just 2 games out of playoffs