• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defense Improved?

DrPhil58

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Oklahoma Sooners had many opportunities wasted to score many more points you have to look at the other line of scrimmage to notice there must have been some improvement by the defense. Yes WVU gave up 435 yards (316 rushing), but the Sooners only scored 16 points! WVU created 4 turnovers (2 each fumbles and interceptions), but the media would have you believe it was because of the OU QB, but was it. WVU's secondary played heads-up and hardnosed football. Cook really played a great game and even said it himself that he should have caught that first dropped ball and run it back for a TD. He also had a fumble recovery and 11 tackles (tied with LB Kwiatkoski with most on the team).

Oklahoma had the ball in WVU territory 10 out of 14 processions and 6 within the red zone, but managed only 16 pts. WVU on the other hand was in OU territory 6 out of 15 processions and only 3 within the redzone, but managed only 7 pts. The Sooners had a 34:26 to 25:34 advantage on clock management. Oklahoma only had a 21 to 19 advantage in first downs. Average field position Oklahoma had a big advantage starting on their own 36 while WVU started on their own 18. Oklahoma only converted 5 of 17 on third downs; while WVU could only convert 3 of 13. Both teams had amble opportunities, but could not capitalize on them; several dropped passes at the wrong time or under/over thrown passes to receivers, runners tripping over their own feet, penalties at wrong time, injuries, and 4 turnovers by each team.

In summary, the Mountaineer defense played a heck of a game giving them a chance to win the ball game, but we all know the final outcome is what really matters. Very positive outlook for the defense this year (minus the injuries), but another story for the offensive side of the ball. I hope the offense is not the reverse of what the defense looked like last year. Let's hope not. Any comments?

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are without a doubt improved. That's not asking for much though. The question is how much have they improved?

I didn't get to see or hear the OU game so I can't say much else. From the looks of it they're going to need to be much better. A year after the worst defense in school history we may have the worst offense...

aussierugbyfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the stats - it seems to something not being shared by most media.

Agreed the defense did a fantastic job and yes sports talking head are trying to make people think it was their freshman QB. He was rattled because of our defense - they played tough and never gave up.

I put a lot of our missed opportunities on the receivers - they did not put that extra effort into catching those balls -like Steadman and JD Woods did last year. Most disappointed in McCartney

DrPhil58

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree

aussierugbyfan, :agree:with your assessment on McCartney; I thought he could make a name for himself in this game, but missed a pass that was clearly catchable. As for Kevin White, I thought he was not protecting the ball before his fumble, he also could have been a hero in this game. What could have been...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hope:Indeed, what could have been. I was impressed with the hard nosed physical play of the defense. The yards OU gained were bloated by the injuries and fatigue down the stretch. While the defense most definately played better than last year, the run defense was the one half decent spot on last years team, and OU made little effort to pass the ball down the field. So many missed opportunities, the bonehead plays on ST, the dropped passes, throwing into four man coverage, running effectively then throwing three incomplete passes to kill the drive. I am excited to see how the defense does against a good passing team.:hope:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the defense is better but Im not ready to put it in the "good" category just yet. There were several opportunities for OU's offense to make a big play but the QB didn't capitalize. Was his youth the ONLY reason those plays weren't made? Prob not but then how many scores happen when those plays DO get made by a seasoned QB? Time will tell, and we CAN and I think WILL get better too so well see.

Im still baffled and frankly pissed by the coaching on our part from Saturday night, DH and the offensive staff just seemed lost at times beginning with the time out fiasco(s) (I know some were the D staff too) and I still cant understand Smith only getting ONE run after he popped that big one, Sims only having 11 touches? Then throw in the fact that there should have been a QB change around the middle of the 3rd or even a lil sooner and it NEVER happened:L?!? We MUST get better on offense and it has to start with DH.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When looking at the lack of touches for Sims following his outstanding TD run, one has to look at his poor blocking in the backfield for one explanation why he was missing. He got an ass chewing from Dana when he whiffed on a block that lead to Millard's fumble. He also was responsible for the chop block penalty. I believe Dana sent him a clear message... and, I support that message. I don't want to see any more Noel Devine's in pass protection... allowing their QB to get blown up.

The TO situation seemed to fall prey to a couple of problems encountered throughout the night. A couple were on the defense, and of course he challenged a couple of plays. I was surprised that whomever he was talking to in the booth would advise him to challenge the call. You could see him on the headset talking to someone before telling the official he wanted to challenge. Dana was also concerned that OU knew his hand signals and this resulted in problems getting plays called from the coach to the QB.

This last point was also given as an explanation why Dana did not switch QB's. He was having trouble getting the plays called... it was affecting the offense's rhythm... and he did not want to put Trickett in there to deal with all of that.

We'll find out in time how much improved this defense is. But, they played aggressively... instinctively... and fast. They laid come serious wood too. How many 3 and outs did they have against a team loaded with top caliber talent?

We're all looking for improvement. And, I think we saw it on defense.

The offense was so close to making some big plays. OU made some great tackles in space... some great shoestring tackles to negate some big gains. Our WR's missed some... our QB missed some...

But... it was close...

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCartney has always had those issues. Lack of effort and dropping passes.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense will be where hope lies this season unless we find a QB who can put the offense on his shoulders and carry the load. I firmly believe better QB play and WV wins in Norman. Smith needs more carries and he will get them this week as some other players will get quality PT as well. This week will find out who wants to play I can assure you of that.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things that excited me about the defense 1. Tackling is improved 2. they were there to make plays 3.we are getting pressure on QB

We have not played Baylor, Texas Tech, or TCU yet so it is hard to say if they are that much improved, but you can see this D is carrying itself a little different than last year. getting to the ball quicker and being more agressive without sacrificing responsibilities. I want to see a shutout Saturday by these guys....really stick it to the teams that should not even be on the same field as WVU.

jgb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most important thing is to get better each week. So respect is what we got out of the lost to Oklahoma. We have a easy game this weekl with Georgia St. This is a 38 point spread because its like playing a high school team. Should win this game by over 50. This game shouldn't even be on the Vegas line This is a game to work on all the areas that need improvement. I would start a new QB. I would go with tricket. This is the game to give the backups a chance. Need to blow out this team early and get the second and 3rd string players some reps. Do we have a 3rd string??? Lol This game sets up the game with Maryland. A must win in my book. Get by Maryland we will have a winning season. 8 and 4 would be great. A Win in a bowl Than going into next year with a trip back into the top 25 where we should be every year

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were many great improvements by the defense over last year. The DL did not get blown off the ball. Linebackers were not missing assignments and the backfield played well. With the Sooner QBs, the secondary did not get tested. I saw significant improvement in the pass rush.

The thing I noticed is that the Defense wore down in the second half. When we are playing on the road in 90 degree heat, we really need to concentrate on time of possession.

The D play was a big positive, especially in the red zone. this is tapered by the fact that the Oklahoma offense is in the same boat as us losing a QB and Wrs to the NFL and not having adequate replacements. When we face a QB who can really throw with top notch receivers, that is when we will be really tested.

On offense, we really need someone to step up and be the go to guy. We have several really good players, but none are stars. Millard does not appear to be the guy to lead this team. If coach does nt believe that Trickett is any better, we should throw in Childress as he has more time to learn and has more upside for the future.

As for Sticks; everyone is on him because of his missed catch for the TD. If it were Geno throwing that ball, he goes outside shoulder and does not lead his receiver back into the safety. If Sticks makes that catch, he gets hammered as soon as he touches the ball. If the ball is thrown outside, Sticks cannot see the Safety coming and has a better chance of making the catch.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Sticks; everyone is on him because of his missed catch for the TD. If it were Geno throwing that ball, he goes outside shoulder and does not lead his receiver back into the safety. If Sticks makes that catch, he gets hammered as soon as he touches the ball. If the ball is thrown outside, Sticks cannot see the Safety coming and has a better chance of making the catch.

No way man that catch should have been made safety or not...I am not even sure if he would have caught it the safety would have had that big of shot on him anyways since usually they still hit a WR if the balls hits their hands. Millard threw a lot of bad passes, but that was not one of them.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they showed the pass attempt to Sticks on replay... there was so much to comment on.

First... the move he made on the guy was just nasty. He was so open.

He remained open for what seemed like an eternity.

Like many of Millard's passes... it took an eternity to get there.

And, by that time.... the OU safety was clearly in peripheral vision. A guy like Stedman... makes that catch.

And, by now... we all know... Sticks ain't no Stedman...