• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deep Freezer Malfunctioning

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have an old deep freezer, one of those old tanks that can last forever. Over the past couple weeks it has stopped kicking on a couple times and fortunately I caught it both times early enough that I didn't lose any food. All it takes to get it going again is simply slapping the side of it. Is anybody here an expert in that type of thing? Loose connection? Some part of it going out that would act like that? Anything? We are going out of town for a while soon and I'd hate to lose everything in there and don't want to replace the freezer with a new one if it is fairly simple to fix, especially considering new stuff doesn't last half as long as these old ones.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, that's pretty vague, if slapping the side of it makes it work again.

I would check the evaporator fan and be sure that it is working properly. It's a common failure and a relatively easy fix.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have an old deep freezer, one of those old tanks that can last forever. Over the past couple weeks it has stopped kicking on a couple times and fortunately I caught it both times early enough that I didn't lose any food. All it takes to get it going again is simply slapping the side of it. Is anybody here an expert in that type of thing? Loose connection? Some part of it going out that would act like that? Anything? We are going out of town for a while soon and I'd hate to lose everything in there and don't want to replace the freezer with a new one if it is fairly simple to fix, especially considering new stuff doesn't last half as long as these old ones.

I don't know jack about fixing a freezer but I had one go out and lost everything inside. So I do know that buying a new one can be the cheaper way out. Good luck.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, that's pretty vague, if slapping the side of it makes it work again.

I would check the evaporator fan and be sure that it is working properly. It's a common failure and a relatively easy fix.
There actually isn't a fan in there. I'm thinking it has to be the controller or thermocouple.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could try cleaning the condenser coils? If they are dirty, that could cause the compressor to overheat and shut off.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could try cleaning the condenser coils? If they are dirty, that could cause the compressor to overheat and shut off.
Probably not a bad idea. Looks like I have to flip the thing over.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the compressor.
You're fucked if you can't work on the motor.

Go buy a new one or come home to the stink rotten food.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smoked dry or canned is the only way to go...

7353370618_6b70284909.jpg