• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Lynch

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of him? Thus far, I've seen Mulholland Drive (3/5 stars) and Blue Velvet (2.5/5 stars) from him. Neither were terrible movies, and both were engaging and provocative at various points in their respective running times. But, honestly, what does any of that matter if the end result just adds up to "it's a dream" (Mulholland Drive) or "the good guy wins, the bad guys lose" (Blue Velvet)?

And don't get me wrong, I like movies that incorporate elements of surrealism. For example, Terry Gilliam's Brazil (4/5 stars) contained various bizarre and off-the-wall elements that may make no sense to the viewer while watching- and that was cool, because the film as a whole added up to being about the constant surveillance state of governments and the awful effects it has on its citizens. Yes, it featured some cool shots (I'll put them in the spoiler to avoid taking up too much space)
acb89f29fc8357b7129dccfe017a25c7--jonathan-pryce-brazil.jpg
brazil5.jpg
brazil6.jpg

but the shots and imagery enhanced both the thematic content and the plot of the film. In other words, they weren't just cool shots to be cool shots.

For example, the sex scene with Dennis Hopper and Isabella Rossellini in Blue Velvet. Yes, it was a cool scene in the sense that (in my opinion) it depicted what drugged-up, angry, violent, selfish sex looks like. The sped-up sequence of Hopper on top of Rossellini illustrates what someone who is doing that must look like to an alien- just entrenched in pure hedonism.

But what does any of this ultimately do for the plot or purpose of the film? Overall, I took the movie to be a story of good fighting against crazy, deranged, over-the-top evil; and good winning (the sex scene was meant to illustrate the over-the-top evil). But that's such a boring and generic theme. And the fact that I had to sit through 2 hours of Lynchian imagery and symbolism to arrive at this theme just pisses me off. If I wanted to see good beating out evil, I'd watch Lawrence of Arabia or something.

I know there are some people who say you either "get" Lynch, or you don't. Do you guys "get" him? To me, he's good with the camera and showing surreal scenes, but his movies (that I've seen) don't amount to much because the overall plot and ultimate thematic content both suck.

I'm going to watch (the original) Twin Peaks to see if I can figure him out.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has any thoughts on Lynch?

@chf @PatsFan2003 @BigFin

?

His films are definitely pretty interesting and bizarre. Twin Peaks was a huge cult when it was on. Yeah the sex scene in Blue Velvet was definitely intended to look twisted.

Unlike the sex scenes in Muhollend Drive which were intended to look twisted and extremely hot!! ;) I think that was one of Naomi Watt's first big films IIRC

Twin Peaks was extremely interesting in the beginning with the characters and general overall themes but like many types of films and series of that type (i.e. Lost, The Matrix), I think Lynch had a hard time finishing it off in a good way. Perhaps, a victim of it's own success.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His films are definitely pretty interesting and bizarre. Twin Peaks was a huge cult when it was on. Yeah the sex scene in Blue Velvet was definitely intended to look twisted.

Unlike the sex scenes in Muhollend Drive which were intended to look twisted and extremely hot!! ;) I think that was one of Naomi Watt's first big films IIRC

Twin Peaks was extremely interesting in the beginning with the characters and general overall themes but like many types of films and series of that type (i.e. Lost, The Matrix), I think Lynch had a hard time finishing it off in a good way. Perhaps, a victim of it's own success.

Twin Peaks season was great, I thought season 2 kinda fell off the tracks.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Heineken! PABST....BLUE....RIBBON!

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good technical movie maker. Does mood and tone well. Tries too hard to be clever.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good technical movie maker. Does mood and tone well. Tries too hard to be clever.
Basically what I tried to say.

You a Twin Peaks fan?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Twin Peaks and I just sorta' missed each other.
Should probably see if it's on Netflix.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Twin Peaks and I just sorta' missed each other.
Should probably see if it's on Netflix.
It is.

By the way, I should definitely be studying for my MISY261 exam tonight at 7, or the MISY330 project I have due tomorrow, but fuck it, I need to procrastinate first.

I'll check out Collateral and let you know what I think.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was one of those guys that was considered a genius by the leering moguls of his day but always escaped me. Just didn't find him that engaging. No doubt about his technical expertise but his stories were just too "off the road" for my tastes.

But - that's simply me. I would never say he sucks. He's just not in my wheelhouse.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'leering moguls.'

Got a casting couch story you wanna' share Robin?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twin Peaks season was great, I thought season 2 kinda fell off the tracks.

Yeah, this ^. The first season was great. Once the murder was solved, there was no real "act 2" and we were left with random weirdness.

Last edited: